Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it just me? The speedcam download page is very confusing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it just me? The speedcam download page is very confusing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Is it just me? The speedcam download page is very confusing Reply with quote

Each month I want to download the latest version of the speedcam database as quickly as possible and get on with my day. I know what I need, I don't need the advice, database breakdowns or other guff, I just want a large item called something like 'Click here to download'. I have just given up looking for the link that brings up the browser 'Save' dialogue. Although I've downloaded speedcam databases in the past, I always approach the speed cam download page with dread, knowing that there is so much print to run my eyes over to identify the link. This time, after about 15 minutes I've given up. There is a link at the top of the page called 'Download Database', and when I click on it it just reloads the page I'm looking at. So I'm sorry to have to ask this. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO CLICK TO DOWNLOAD THE DATABASE?

I am paid up, subscribed, logged in.

Thank you for any help
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not go as far as you want but my procedure is to click on my bookmark to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&referer=SideBar as the first step.

Then I select the system I have (TomTom OV2) and go on to select the download I want (UK - Speed Zoned Complete) and click on 'Download Database'.

My default download manager (IDM) then takes over and notifies me when it's done it with an option to 'Open file'. I do that and my default unzipper (ZipGenius) opens for me to select where I want the extracted files to go (C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\TomTom\Speed Cameras) and the job's done, ready to copy/paste across to the 540 whenever I want.

I'm sure others do it differently but it works for me.

David
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it doesn't seem too difficult to me.
It's just 1-2-3.

1. You click on 'Speed Camera Database'
2. You choose which GPS device you have
3. You choose which cameras you want

Yes there is a lot of descriptive text, to help beginners and avoid some of the basic questions that arise, but as an 'Intermediate' user you can just ignore it.

You might know which of the many database versions you want, but the site doesn't until you tell it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyL - maybe you have another account with us?

this account has only had 3x 1month subscriptions:

Subscription History:
2007-04-13 11:00:11 monthly
2006-10-13 14:34:42 monthly
2006-04-29 22:57:55 monthly

hence why you could not find the download button. had you read the text on the download page or just looked for the link? the text will say that you are not subscribed!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal.
Although I have no difficulty now, I did have problems when I first joined. In the light of this, I think that you forgot instruction 1a. 'Scroll down past all the top words to find the drop down list.' because you know that you have to do it (depending on screen resolution).

I think that it would be a lot more intuitive if the list was on the opening screen without having to scrolling down with a big 'Download Here' notice?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Yes but... Reply with quote

A screen like this should be aimed at new users. If the download button was at the top, they would click it right away without reading the important introductory notes.
As you say, experienced users will know to skip to the bottom. It's only a mouse click after all.

Sal
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me? The speedcam download page is very confus Reply with quote

DennyL wrote:
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO CLICK TO DOWNLOAD THE DATABASE?

I will try to make it simple

First click the big yellow button towards the top and to the left of every screen in the forum. It is headed "Speed Cameras"

On the page that comes up scroll down just a little. You will get to "Downloading the Database" Under that is "satnav system". Click the little arrow in the right of the drop down box headed "Select from below" That will bring up a list of sat nav systems. Choose your system from the list (we don't know it but you do). Then click continue.

On the screen that then comes up you will see the name of the sat nav system you have chosen and another drop down box again headed "select from below". Again click on the little arrow in the right of the box and up will come a list of all the databases to choose from. Click on the one you want. Then click on the "download database" button.

Hey presto.

This is exactly the same type of system that is used in countless other websites to choose items you want to download. But it does require you to be logged in under the name of a paid up subscriber (that last comment is in case you have more than one log in name)
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank your for all your replies and help. What happened, I *think*, is that I am a long-time user of the PGSW forums, and when I subscribed to the Speedcam database I did so with a new ID and a stronger password. My default browser, Firefox, logs me straight in to PGSW with my forum ID. I went to a browser I hardly ever use, IE, and logged in with my Speedcam ID and voila!, I saw the download link.

I now seem to be in a situation where IE and Opera go straight in with my Speedcam ID and Firefox (currently my default browser) goes straight in with my forum ID. I haven't yes managed to find a statement on the PGSW page saying "You are logged in as (login ID)", or a link called 'Log Out', so I'm finding it hard, no impossible, to manage my logged in status.

I can't remember why I created a new ID to buy the speedcams.

Despite my own responsibilty for my confusion I do think there is some room for improvement:-

** The link at the top of the page 'Download Database' (to the left of 'Submit Cameras') doesn't do anything.

** I can't see who I'm logged in as

** I can't log out and start again

Hopefully some of you can show me where I'm wrong.

Thank you again for your comments.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyL wrote:

How about this? Sorry for illegibility, it says Log out (DennisN)

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyL wrote:
Thank your for all your replies and help. What happened, I *think*, is that I am a long-time user of the PGSW forums, and when I subscribed to the Speedcam database I did so with a new ID and a stronger password.

We do ask that users do not create multiple accounts, this is just one of the issues that can arise if you ignore that advice.
Quote:
** The link at the top of the page 'Download Database' (to the left of 'Submit Cameras') doesn't do anything.

That link switches the page view from Download to Submit. If you click Submit the page changes to the Submission Page and Vice Versa
Quote:

From the top menu bar, click 'GPS Forums | Your Account'
Quote:

From the top menu bar, click 'GPS Forums | Log Out'

If you email subscriptionsATpocketgpsworld.com with the two accounts you have we can merge the subscription into this account and delete the other.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the right hand side i get:

Quote:
Who's Online

There are currently, 193 guest(s) and 62 member(s) that are online.

You are logged as MaFt.
You have 21 private message(s).

is that what everyone else gets or is it an admin only extra?

MaFt
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
on the right hand side i get:

Quote:
Who's Online

There are currently, 193 guest(s) and 62 member(s) that are online.

You are logged as MaFt.
You have 21 private message(s).

is that what everyone else gets or is it an admin only extra?

MaFt

Admin only.

What forum user see is that info but only on the bottom of the forums page.

Top Menu (GPS Forums) from the drop down - (Public GPS Forums)

You can then see that info at the bottom of the different forums list.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had 21 Private Messages I'd feel ever so loved and wanted. I've only got 7 and one of those thinks my guts would be better used for holding up stockings! Crying or Very sad

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If I had 21 Private Messages I'd feel ever so loved and wanted. I've only got 7 and one of those thinks my guts would be better used for holding up stockings! Crying or Very sad

i rarely delete...!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has it been since I posted that mistaken comment? 79 PMs!! Am I ever loved? Love it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: