Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Video Tutorial: Installing the PGPS Speed Cameras on TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Tutorial: Installing the PGPS Speed Cameras on TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menu at the top of this site - Speed Cameras | Installation Guides.
TKTrooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Menu at the top of this site - Speed Cameras | Installation Guides.

Thats what brought me to this thread, so is the video at the top of this thread the one i follow for POI's as well?

I have a TOMTOM ONE IQ routes edition UK & Ireland

I'm sorry to sound like a pain, but this is very confusing for me at the moment.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question originally was did the same procedure for installation apply to POIs as it does to Speed Cameras.

The answer as MikeA said is 'yes' but you would omit the part where you configure an alert unless you wanted to have your device bleep at you each time you approached one of your POIs.

So yes, the video at the start of this thread covers POIs installation. Whatever the type they install in the same way.

Does that make sense?
TKTrooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thanks, sorry if i was being a pain. Just that if you've never done this before it is very confusing.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apology necessary, we're here to answer questions and if we're not clear then that's our fault not yours Smile

If you have any problems just shout.
sp0rran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a newbie, downloaded OV2 files for Tom Tom XL Live and opted for Female with Chime Prefix Voice Pack - however when setting up POI warnings on Tom Tom, the device would not progress beyond setting distance for alert - only option being to cancel out !? I've found a workaround by deleting the voice (.ogg) files, but wondered why issue & thought would inform/ask here.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "the device would not progress beyond setting distance for alert - only option being to cancel out !" what exactly happens after you have entered the distance and pressed "done"?

But if you'd rather not faff about trying to get this method working, just use "Method 2" described in the old text instructions, where you put the .ogg files in the "sounds" folder rather than the map folder. (This is actually TomTom's preferred method).

Quote:
If you explore your TomTom device with a file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer, Mac Finder etc) you should find an empty folder called "sounds" (if not, then you can manually create one). Any .wav or .ogg format sound files you paste into this folder will appear on the same page as the usual Sound Effects such as "Bell1", "Cow" etc. and can be selected for use as warnings in the normal way.
You can also paste folders containing whole collections of sound files in this "sounds" folder and they will appear as clickable folders.

Ogg files are preferred as their file sizes are much smaller than wavs. If you need to convert .wav files to .ogg format you can use the free sound editor "Audacity" to achieve this. Note that .wav files can be 11025kHz or 16kHz sample rate but MUST be 16 bit. 8 bit samples will be displayed as options on the page but cannot be played.

All the TomTom format sound files available here are compatible with this installation method, you can place them in the sounds folder, select them and preview them in the same way you can the other built-in sound effects.

The only problem here is that the naming convention PGPSW use puts pocketgps_ at the beginning of the filename. This is necessary to support their normal installation method, which requires the sound files have identical file names to the database files. This results in the part of the name which identifies which speed and type of camera being at the end i.e. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.

When you see the files on the sound effects page, only the first 10 or so characters of the name get shown, so they will all just show "PocketGPSWo...". So either use the 'preview' button to hear them first or rename the files before copying to the sounds folder to make them more easily located i.e. gatso30, specs70 etc

sp0rran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for suggestion - will try that. Meantime, to answer your request for clarification - having entered a distance & pressed 'OK', nothing happened - stayed on same screen - could alter to any distance but pressing 'OK' had no effect i.e you were stuck on the distance setting screen with only way out being to hit 'Cancel'
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp0rran wrote:
Many thanks for suggestion - will try that. Meantime, to answer your request for clarification - having entered a distance & pressed 'OK', nothing happened - stayed on same screen - could alter to any distance but pressing 'OK' had no effect i.e you were stuck on the distance setting screen with only way out being to hit 'Cancel'

What/who are you replying to?

Have you tried a reset and restart?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: