Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 205T or 300T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 205T or 300T
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 205T or 300T Reply with quote

I've just bought a 300T for £89 in Tesco, unusually for me I didn't take a look round to see if this was a good deal as I thought for a traffic enabled device this was pretty good.

However, I've seen the 205T in Halfords tonight for £10 more than I paid for the 300T, the question is, is it worth me packing the 300T up and taking it back? Is there much of a difference that would make the 205 a better buy?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 205T is newer but for a full comparision click here
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the 300 back as it is a discontinued product, the 205 has all the latest software so you can add third party content and do much more with it.
The price you paid for the 300 is also too high anyway.
McGoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dio

I also bought a 300T from Tesco Direct.

I've downloaded the POI loader and web updater software from www.garmin.co.uk and the speed cameras loaded no problem at all. There is also an update to version 6 of the software and the GTM software available.

I'm going to try it out for the first time tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

From PaulB2005's comparison link it doesn't look like the 205T gives you anything that the 300T doesn't. It's slightly smaller but slightly heavier. The 300T has a few apps that the 205T doesn't, but I'm not sure I would use any of them anyway. The big plus for me is battery life of the 300T is 8 hours compared to 4 hours for the 205T. The 205T has 1000 waypoints, but do you need them? Also, the memory cards are SD v Micro SD. I have loads of SD cards so I know which I prefer :o) It says the 205T doesn't have 3D view, this would be a big negative for me.

I've had a good look on t'internet and I don't see a better deal for the 300T so I think we got a very good deal. Also, no mention of it being discontinued on the Garmin site.

StuartStrangeBoy, where did you get your info about it being discontinued and where can you get it cheaper than £89?

Last edited by McGoo on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGoo wrote:
Hi Dio

I also bought a 300T from Tesco Direct.

I've downloaded the POI loader and web updater software from www.garmin.co.uk and the speed cameras loaded no problem at all. There is also an update to version 6 of the software and the GTM software available.

I'm going to try it out for the first time tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

From PaulB2005's comparison link it doesn't look like the 205T gives you anything that the 300T doesn't. It's slightly smaller but slightly heavier. The 300T has a few apps that the 205T doesn't, but I'm not sure I would use any of them anyway. The big plus for me is battery life of the 300T is 8 hours compared to 4 hours for the 205T. The 205T has 1000 waypoints, but do you need them? Also, the memory cards are SD v Micro SD. I have loads of SD cards so I know which I prefer :o) It says the 300T doesn't have 3D view, this would be a big negative for me.

I've had a good look on t'internet and I don't see a better deal for the 300T so I think we got a very good deal. Also, no mention of it being discontinued on the Garmin site.

StuartStrangeBoy, where did you get your info about it being discontinued and where can you get it cheaper than £89?

I think I'd arrived at the same conclusion. Firstly, there is a 3D view. The thing that finally swung it for me was the 205T comes with a GTM25 for Traffic alerts, while this does have an input for an external antenna it also uses its own charger, although this is good in the repect that it would retain the traffic messages but it means two chargers and all the related wires.

I've got the 300T updated now with the free 2009 map update from Garmin, added some POI's from here and I've got the GTM12 neatly tucked away (and working very well - I regularly get 80+ alerts evert trip).

I'll hang on to it, for the price it does the job for me and is 5 times quicker turning on and picking up satellites than my old Navigon PDA set up.

I only asked the question originally in case the software was a lot diferent but I don't think it is. The only bit I did prefer was the font used for the streetnames looked better on the 205, not sure if thats anything I can amend on the 300?
Chris444
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to bear in mind is that the 300 is supplied with a carry case and also a USB lead which you would have to pay extra for with the 205.

Both have just the UK and Ireland maps. Check which version the 300 has by going to serttings-map-map info. If it has been supplied with the 2008 maps it is worth registering the unit on the Garmin web site because you will be entitled to a 2009 map update.

The downloaded update will only update the maps in the unit so go for the option of a cd which includes all the Europe maps as well. It cost me £5.87 inc postage. A 2gb sd card cost about £3 from Amazon. You can then update the unit to the latest UK maps and also transfer the europe maps to the sd card. If the 300 already has the 2009 mapping then the choice is harder.
Chris444
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I started to write the above reply before I saw your latest post but got called away from the computer in the middle of it.
I think that you have made the best choice.
McGoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I'll register and get the map updates :o)

Yes, this unit is far superior to my old shinco which took ages to find the satellites sometimes.

There are some aspects of the Destinator software that are better e.g. you could programme it to alert you 800 yards and 200 yards from speed cameras whereas this one only appears to allow 1 alert per camera ... or have i got this wrong?

Thanks again, very happy with my purchase!
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris444 wrote:
One thing to bear in mind is that the 300 is supplied with a carry case and also a USB lead which you would have to pay extra for with the 205.

Both have just the UK and Ireland maps. Check which version the 300 has by going to serttings-map-map info. If it has been supplied with the 2008 maps it is worth registering the unit on the Garmin web site because you will be entitled to a 2009 map update.

The downloaded update will only update the maps in the unit so go for the option of a cd which includes all the Europe maps as well. It cost me £5.87 inc postage. A 2gb sd card cost about £3 from Amazon. You can then update the unit to the latest UK maps and also transfer the europe maps to the sd card. If the 300 already has the 2009 mapping then the choice is harder.

Cheers Chris. I'd already opted for the download version of the maps,
I was going to ask if there is anyway of transferring them to SD now so I could get the rest of europe, or, do you know if I can get back to Garmin and request a cd instead?
Chris444
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dio

When you downloaded the maps I assumed that on the 300 it would only be possible to download the UK maps but are you saying that you managed to download all of Europe to your pc?

The cd came with MapSource which I used to transfer the Europe maps to sd card. I believe that you can also download Mapsource from the Garmin site.

Garmin are always very helpful so if you want the cd try their support line on 0808 2380000

Regards Chris
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris444 wrote:
Hi dio

When you downloaded the maps I assumed that on the 300 it would only be possible to download the UK maps but are you saying that you managed to download all of Europe to your pc?

The cd came with MapSource which I used to transfer the Europe maps to sd card. I believe that you can also download Mapsource from the Garmin site.

Garmin are always very helpful so if you want the cd try their support line on 0808 2380000

Regards Chris

When I downloaded the file (2.5gb!) it asked me which region I wanted to install to the 300 and gave me a list to pick from. I've got Mapsource and the map for Europe but I don't know how to get the info on to SD card (s), if it is possible at all.
McGoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dio wrote:

When I downloaded the file (2.5gb!) it asked me which region I wanted to install to the 300 and gave me a list to pick from. I've got Mapsource and the map for Europe but I don't know how to get the info on to SD card (s), if it is possible at all.

Hi dio,

I did the same and it updated the existing maps i.e. UK and Ireland. It also installed all the other European maps which I can view using the Mapsource utility.

In addition, it installed a utility called mapinstall which allows you to select regions of the European maps and install them on the device. You can choose to install them on the Nuvi or on the SD card via the dropdown menu. I installed the Algarve and the Canary Islands. Works a treat Razz

On a different subject, my unit is working really well. I used the trafficmaster data tonight and it rerouted me round a jam on the M60 Smile

The only thing that I was disappointed with was the alerts for the cameras, they were very quiet. I've now downloaded the voice alert mp3s and updated my custom POIs so hopefully all will be good next time.

I have searched the forums for tips for the 300T but there doesn't seem to be much on there. Maybe we can use this thread to share things as we discover them?

Happy motoring in 2009 Very Happy
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGoo wrote:
dio wrote:

Hi dio,

I did the same and it updated the existing maps i.e. UK and Ireland. It also installed all the other European maps which I can view using the Mapsource utility.

In addition, it installed a utility called mapinstall which allows you to select regions of the European maps and install them on the device. You can choose to install them on the Nuvi or on the SD card via the dropdown menu. I installed the Algarve and the Canary Islands. Works a treat Razz

On a different subject, my unit is working really well. I used the trafficmaster data tonight and it rerouted me round a jam on the M60 Smile

The only thing that I was disappointed with was the alerts for the cameras, they were very quiet. I've now downloaded the voice alert mp3s and updated my custom POIs so hopefully all will be good next time.

I have searched the forums for tips for the 300T but there doesn't seem to be much on there. Maybe we can use this thread to share things as we discover them?

Happy motoring in 2009 Very Happy

Ah, found it now Razz Just exporting France ready for holidays this year.

I'm feeling happier with the unit now, tried out the detour button as I got to the back of a long queue of cars and it got me round to another route.

I'll update on here as I use it, speak to you soon!
McGoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dio wrote:

I'm feeling happier with the unit now, tried out the detour button as I got to the back of a long queue of cars and it got me round to another route.

The voice alerts are working well, much better than the default alert. I'm toying with using the Ash Camera Manager, but the standard POI Loader seems to work just fine with the POI files and voices available on pocketGPSWorld. Did you try the Camera Manager? Does it give you much more?

I must say that I am amazed with the value for money that we have with this unit. My last SatNav, a Shinco GM400-EU, cost me £150 exactly two years ago. It had out of date UK maps, no traffic updates and no European maps. It was also a pain to update the cameras as it all had to be done manually.

When you consider the cost of the European maps alone, the Nuvi 300T with European maps and lifetime UK traffic updates is an absolute steal at £88!

Laughing Razz
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGoo wrote:
dio wrote:

The voice alerts are working well, much better than the default alert. I'm toying with using the Ash Camera Manager, but the standard POI Loader seems to work just fine with the POI files and voices available on pocketGPSWorld. Did you try the Camera Manager? Does it give you much more?

I must say that I am amazed with the value for money that we have with this unit. My last SatNav, a Shinco GM400-EU, cost me £150 exactly two years ago. It had out of date UK maps, no traffic updates and no European maps. It was also a pain to update the cameras as it all had to be done manually.

When you consider the cost of the European maps alone, the Nuvi 300T with European maps and lifetime UK traffic updates is an absolute steal at £88!

Laughing Razz

I've not tried anything other than the Garmin camera option, will try the one on here soon.

One thing that is puzzling me. I can specify to route to any destinations in Europe even though only UK and Ireland is loaded - does anyone know if this is correct? Would the unit stop working once across the channel?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: