Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Choices choices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Choices choices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Choices choices Reply with quote

I am in the market for a new GPS for walking and would like to have OS mapping and easy programming from my QUO digital mapping software.

The choice I have is fairly straight forward, but I cannot make up my mind!

1. SatMap 10
2. Garmin Oregon 300 + Garmin GB Discoverer maps

Does anyone have experience of both units or any opinions to help me make up my mind?
steve7046
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am new to this group and a fairly new user of both the Active 10 and the Oregon 400. I ended up getting both a few months ago for different reasons. I bought the Active 10 mainly for when out walking or green laning, I got the Oregon mainly for geocaching. In the little time I have had them both I would say for me the Active 10 wins hands down on every count, although the Oregon is a good bit of kit. The battery life on the Oregon is really bad (if you go for the Active 10 get the power pack kit with rechargable battery you can easily get a full day out without the worry of it failing on you).
I dont have any additional maps for the Oregon but will probably invest in at least one from the Discoverer range to see how they stack up against the Sat Map
As I say early days for me with both units but so far the Active 10 is my favourite of the two.
Not much deatil there in my post but hope you can draw some conclusions from it.

Steve
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info.

My head is telling me to go for the Garmin as they have been in the business for a very long time. However, their range of OS maps seems to be both limited and quite expensive compared to the SatMap 10. I am also getting the feeling that the Garmin offering is a "reaction" rather than a well though out solution particularly in regards to the OS mapping??

I may just wait until the OS outdoor show in March to make my final decision
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave-t wrote:
My head is telling me to go for the Garmin as they have been in the business for a very long time. However, their range of OS maps seems to be both limited and quite expensive compared to the SatMap 10. I am also getting the feeling that the Garmin offering is a "reaction" rather than a well though out solution particularly in regards to the OS mapping??

I may just wait until the OS outdoor show in March to make my final decision

I wasn't sure until I got my units in my hand next to each other. The size of the screens and the thought of trying to use the Garmin with gloves on made my mind up! The costs etc just compounded it.

For £450 I can get a Satmap, all of UK at 50k and the power pack. Not cheap but I'm getting a whole package. The Oregen 400t is about £400 without an OS map in sight. Then it couldn't have all of UK if you wanted it (At the minute anyway).

I'm just going to have to put up with Satmaps bad communications and understand software updates, router planner wil come out when they come out. That said Garmin seem as bad. It wasn't clear on their website when the Discoverer maps would be available and their blog is full of novelty stories instead of news. A shame as a blog is the perfect way to communicate!
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't quite make your maths work. Active 10 at just over £250, all UK at 50k at £180, power pack a bit over £40. Adds up to over £470. You've obviously done a bit better! But how?
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses

I am certainly heading towards the SatMap purely on the grounds of the mapping which is more extensive and cheaper - it also loks more useable when out and about
roger-m
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read up on the Garmin's, studied the Satmap discussions here and even tried a Satmap at the in-store demos. Thought those dedicated devices were a little over the top for my intended use. I've decided to get ViewRanger software and OS maps for a Nokia Symbian based mobile. I needed a new mobile so have just bought an N78 from the Nokia site at £200. Then £50 for OS1:50000 North England and £20 for an AquaPac to keep things safe.

In a week or so I'll know if my decision was a good one.

Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Have a watch of the Gadget Show test which featured the Gamin Colorado 300, SatMap Active10 and a Magellan eXplorist 600 which is available on line Here - if this doesn't prove the active10 is the best of the bunch then I don't see what would!

Roger, the ViewRanger software on the phone is a good package but not in the same league as the dedicated devices, for occasional use they are great but I wouldn't want to use it in preference to my active10 - Mike
michael100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen this Gadget Show video before . Its the perfect advertising tool
Satmap should ask you to put it on their website . If could also form the basis for an instruction video
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, Satmap couldn't have wished for any better free advert for their product than 6 minutes of prime TV coverage showing their unit demolish the competing products. It does show how easy the device is to use, although its far from a fully conclusive test - try taking a unit out in the conditions we are experiencing at the moment with freezing temperatures and the ease of use the active10 offers even wearing thick gloves is second to none - Mike
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Dave, Have a watch of the Gadget Show test which featured the Gamin Colorado 300, SatMap Active10 and a Magellan eXplorist 600 which is available on line Here

Mike

Wow! thanks for the link. That looks so easy to use

Ok I am sold Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just noticed your sig contains the Quo-2 package, this can be used for planning walks on the PC and exporting them to the SatMap unit - its not difficult to do - if you get stuck with this and need assistance let us know - Mike
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have just noticed your sig contains the Quo-2 package, this can be used for planning walks on the PC and exporting them to the SatMap unit - its not difficult to do - if you get stuck with this and need assistance let us know - Mike

Thanks Mike

I see that GPS training are going to produce a Quo "how to" book in the new year. Quo is a very nice package and a lot easier to use than others I have tried.

You may also see SPOT in my sig too. I promised Darren I would do a review of the SPOT units - but I have not done so yet - hangs head in shame
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at Quo2 looks a great package, can you load the A10 maps from the SD card into it, or do you (as I suspect) need to purchase thier maps?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to purchase map tiles for the Quo application but at 99 pence each for the 50K scale it can be a very cheap way to cover areas of interest on the PC.
I purchased most of Lancashire, the Lake District and some of the Yorkshire Dales for under £10 which isn't bad, it does get more costly though if you want 25K scale maps - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: