Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Navcore for GO X20 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Navcore for GO X20 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMincer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: New Navcore for GO X20 ? Reply with quote

A mate of mine from work emailed me the following link for a new Navcore

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.320.9901.gox20.cab

Is it kosher?

Should I try it or has anyone else any comments?

He wants to cure the stuttering as it is chronic on his 920 but I can live with it on my 520 as its nowhere near as bad as his.

Does it improve matters?

I'm not offered it via home.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the TomTom Work hardware and need the coresponding software then you will be fine using this version, if not I wouldn't bother installing it as it offers little benefit to you - Mike
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it and so far it seems to have stopped my 720 stutter Smile
TheMincer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you use the TomTom Work hardware and need the coresponding software then you will be fine using this version, if not I wouldn't bother installing it as it offers little benefit to you - Mike

I'm confused.

Other posts elsewhere after I started this thread indicate that this IS a worthwhile upgrade to cure stuttering etc.

Are the other links to V 8.320 different in some way to the one I gave in the first post or am I missing something?

I don't use Work, just a standard 520 using App 8.300 with 815 UK & ROI Maps and TMC traffic.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to Christmas I had not fully tried this on the devices and knew it wasn't intended for use without the Work package, but having tried it out it does improve the device.
It is well worth trying the 8,320 on your device if it is suffering from the stuttering voice or slow map refresh rate. There are still a few issues with this software around the backlight control and the Bluetooth HiFi audio but currently it is the best of a bad bunch. The other links I have included elsewhere are for the x30 variant of the software - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMincer wrote:
mikealder wrote:

I'm confused.

Other posts elsewhere after I started this thread indicate that this IS a worthwhile upgrade to cure stuttering etc.

Are the other links to V 8.320 different in some way to the one I gave in the first post or am I missing something?

I don't use Work, just a standard 520 using App 8.300 with 815 UK & ROI Maps and TMC traffic.

I agree with Mike, if you have problems with 8.300 and slow map refresh rates and TTS voice stutter then you may as well give it a whirl.

Good find, and thanks for posting the link!

A few have been testing this over Christmas just to make sure - since 8.300 was released there have been a variety of 'fixes' posted, none of which are 100% so a bit of due dilligence prevailed with this one.

Thanks
Andy
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought a new TomTom Go 920T. Two related questions:

Its currently on App 7.221, GPS 1.21, Boot 5.4106
Western and Central Europe and North America Maps, both v710.1576

1) What version of the updated Navcore should I install first v8.30 or v8.32?
2) Should I upgrade anything else other than maps?

While I am it:

3) Should I wait a few weeks before upgrading the maps under the LMG in case there is a newer map by then, is that likely?

4) I've read somewhere, don't know if its correct, that IQ routes uses either data averaged over a day, or in the new version data averaged over 5 minute periods (or something like that). Is it possible to install updates on my TomTom to use the new version of IQ routes (now or if I wait until a forthcoming update)?

Thanks for any advice.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to back up the device fully using Windows Explorer before you do anything else.
Then update it to use Navcore 8,300 using the Home software via your PC.

Next update the map, it is up to you whether you wait for a few weeks and see if something newer pops out, but you need to do this a couple of days before your 28 days expire from the date on the till receipt.

With the newer Navcore version and the latest maps you will get the IQ-2 Routes and reality view/ Lane assist - Mike
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
... update it to use Navcore 8,300 using the Home software via your PC.

With the newer Navcore version and the latest maps you will get the IQ-2 Routes and reality view/ Lane assist - Mike

Thanks for your help.

So should I only try 8.32 if I get problems with 8.30?

(The first thing I did when I got my TomTom was backup using Windows Explorer, but thanks for the reminder! By the way, is it possible for the TomTom 920 to fail in such a way that it can't be connected to through windows and therefore the backup can't be restored?)
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this on another thread regarding TomTom 920

"... use it, enjoy, just don't launch HOME until they've sorted 8.3. You can still take a backup via your PC but if/when HOME starts, exit it.

Does this mean I shouldn't yet launch Home and upgrade to 8.3?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your device is working fine using 8,300 there is no point in messing around with swapping files and folders for code that was written for devices supporting additional hardware. The fact that some of us have found a great improvement over the 8,300 Navcore when running "other" versions could be down to any number of combinations such as route, time of day, selected voice, Bluetooth connections to Phone, remote and Stereo as well as having the RDS-TMC connected.

Unless you are experiencing stuttering voices and/ or slow map refresh rates leave the device running the 8,300

It is possible for a Go-x20 to fail in such a way the internal memory cannot be seen from the PC, it is very rare but it does happen from time to time. All you have to do should this occur is put all the folders and files on to a memory card and insert that to the device, it will work fine booting from the memory card - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apwood wrote:
Just seen this on another thread regarding TomTom 920

"... use it, enjoy, just don't launch HOME until they've sorted 8.3. You can still take a backup via your PC but if/when HOME starts, exit it.

Does this mean I shouldn't yet launch Home and upgrade to 8.3?

I disagree, and think that was a bit of a throwaway line from Darren.

You should be due a free Map update to the much more recent v815 (using the Latest Map Guarantee).
You will only get *any* map offered to you if you DO fire up Home, and you only get offered a v8 map if you have ALREADY updated the software to v8.300 first... and you need to fire up Home to do that too.

If you make that backup before you do anything else, you have nothing to fear if you don't like v8 software, but you won't get your free map without it!
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Refresh rates Reply with quote

Hi,

A lot of these recent posts have referred to refresh rates, how does one check these rates and what is considered a "normal" rate??

Jeff
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing clever... just by watching the screen! (obviously safer when you are a passenger).
I've spent many a happy hour, going "bip, bip, bip" into the voice recorder on my phone in time with the movements on the screen.

Being a sound engineer, I would take it into work and edit a loop of the "bips" and count how many in ten seconds or a minute. A stopwatch would do just as well.

Basically, old machines seemed to manage about three "bips" per second, my Go720 running v8.300 slowed down to about 2 and a bit per second normally, and when it was really struggling maybe one a second or less!
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud...... here i am thinking there is some snazy part of the program I have not discovered, when it is simply.... a suck it and see!!!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: