Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 Recommended Configuration?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 Recommended Configuration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: x20 Recommended Configuration? Reply with quote

Having foolishly bought a couple of 520 refurbs BEFORE checking in here, my head is now spinning. There are multiple threads offering various combinations of software, maps, voices & options.

Any chance of a sticky detailing the currently recommended combination of software (together with links) & a list of options that may be disabled as a result?
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connect to TTHome & check for updates & new maps available?
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:
I take it you are totally unaware of the issues then?

Can anyone running 8.204 confirm whether or not voice input works? I get a "wait" prompt followed by "input not recognised" & default to manual entry.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go through the threads, work out the issues and options then post what you have evaluated here, if it is good, I am sure one of the mods will turn it into a sticky?
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocodile wrote:
franb wrote:
I take it you are totally unaware of the issues then?

More than you'll ever know Wink
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this was obviously a stupid idea on my part.

Clearly it is far more beneficial for everyone to trawl through every thread on the 8.3 debacle & try all the options for themselves, rather than have those that have already done so consolidate their knowledge. Assuming they can find all the links that are hinted at but not linked to. Rolling Eyes

Mods please close/delete.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not a stupid idea at all....it's just that you are in as good a position to compile all the links etc. as anyone else. There's no full-time "staff" to do it and it takes a lot longer then you think!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the different combinations of hardware/ Navcore versions and Loquendo files that have been put in the mixing pot in various threads it would be rather difficult to write this lot up.

I would also be rather reluctant to document such a "procedure" as when TomTom release a fix for the current stammering voices and slow map update rates, any messing around "swapping" files intended for other devices could cause issues with the update.

What I would say is PRIOR to any installation of files from other links that are intended for other devices please make a full backup so you can put the device back to the correct configuration at some future point.

If you mess around without a backup you might end up with a rather costly and highly technical door stopper - Mike
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please close/delete this thread Mike as it's clearly going nowhere. I'll start a new one that hopefully will be more productive.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think there ever can be any definitive advice for any TomTom as the same Navcore / Map combination on two seemingly identical devices can give very different results. I’m running a 520 with stock 8.204 / 815 installed on an SD Card & have no voice problems at all, yet others have tried the same & finished up with a mute Sat Nav. All we can do as forum members is detail what we’ve done & with what result. If others then wish to give it a try that is their choice.
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
I don’t think there ever can be any definitive advice for any TomTom as the same Navcore / Map combination on two seemingly identical devices can give very different results. I’m running a 520 with stock 8.204 / 815 installed on an SD Card & have no voice problems at all, yet others have tried the same & finished up with a mute Sat Nav. All we can do as forum members is detail what we’ve done & with what result. If others then wish to give it a try that is their choice.

Can you tell me if your FM radio for MP3 or audio books work?

The reason I ask is that I had installed 8.204 with 8.15 map on my 920 and everything worked beautifuly other than MP3 and autiobooks through FM radio.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: