Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How good is HD Traffic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How good is HD Traffic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: How good is HD Traffic? Reply with quote

Now that the x40 range is released, it is clear that a number of people have been testing HD Traffic for a some months.

How does HD Traffic compare to TMC. I have never been able to get RDS-TMC to work sucessfully (and was considering the gprs varient), but have have been holding off pending HD Traffic.

HD traffic plus IQ routes, seems to be the next stage in Sat Nav. How are others finding it. How accurate is the predicted arrival time, and has the unit provided you with alternative to a route you regulary make.

I can cover 1000+ mile a week, so traffic is a major issue for me. If this unit can save me an hour a month then it more than pays for it self.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had any experience of HD myself, but there are various people on this site who claim that it is much better than RDS - TMC, which I personally believe is diabolical!

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE'S a thread with 11 pages on the subject. May I suggest if you want to pursue thoughts which are still not answered that you post them there rather than in this separate one.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good, at 1000/week you'll experience a real benifit. More so if your territory includes London or the midlands and the like. Less so if your cover Scotland only say.
ricchop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree HD Traffic is getting better and better I think by the end of the three month free trial (from the time of those purchased at time of launch) we will see far superiour traffic information, not so sure about IQ Routes though, do they actually work in conjunction with Traffic, not sure?

All the queues even the small ones on the M25 and M1 show on HD Traffic almost to the exact first and last car and increase as the queue increases. The overhead gantry boards show "Slow Down Queue" HD Traffic shows nothing, and there is nothing!

The closure of the M1 Junctions 15 and 16 were all clearly shown yesterday (Friday 21st November 2008) with queues shown forming on some of the surrounding roads.

RA camera alerts are much better than the first day with my 540, so all in all a great improvement from the launch day.

If the whole of the UK can be as good as the bits already well covered then
we will have a great service we can rely on. Then again we are talking about TomTom. Why does the HD Traffic server go down just as I am deciding if its safe to use the M1? If they want people to pay for the subscription after the three free months, they really need to sort out their servers.

Google search is great for adhoc deliveries and collections from companies I have never been to before. I now just enter the company name in to Google search up comes the list normally with the entered name first on the list press navigate to and away I go. Does not always stop outside the right building, but certainly within a few yards, close enough to see the one I am looking for anyway.

I am looking forward to the future. I think...............
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
May I suggest if you want to pursue thoughts which are still not answered that you post them there rather than in this separate one.

The reason that I have answered this thread, is because you may find that some people do not realise that there are already ongoing discussions and consequently start a new thread.
I think it is bad that someone can post a perfectly reasonable question only to be completely ignored.
When I have a quiet moment, I go through the unanswered posts, in the offchance that I may be able to help someone out...not very often but sometimes it does happen.

It would have possibly been better if one of the mods had moved this post to the correct location when it first appeared.

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
The reason that I have answered this thread, is because you may find that some people do not realise that there are already ongoing discussions and consequently start a new thread.

No problem with that at all and no-one is suggesting otherwise. In circumstances where there is an on-going thread on the subject already though it is preferable to alert them to that and point them in the right direction Very Happy
Quote:
I think it is bad that someone can post a perfectly reasonable question only to be completely ignored.

That rarely happens though.
Quote:
When I have a quiet moment, I go through the unanswered posts, in the offchance that I may be able to help someone out...not very often but sometimes it does happen.

And that's how it should be, I'm sure we all try to help where we can.
Quote:
It would have possibly been better if one of the mods had moved this post to the correct location when it first appeared.

Sadly we don't have the facility to move and merge threads, we can split an existing thread and move posts to a new one but we do not have the facility to move posts/threads and merge them with an existing one.

So Ill repost Dennis's link to the existing HD discussion here and ask that further discussion on the subject of TomTom's HD traffic continue there Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren has answered everything, so I'll just add two more considerations -

Starting another thread on the (any) topic can lead to answers being missed by the participants in the "other" thread - you don't see theirs, they don't see yours.

And anybody using the Search button to look for help on their problem may find themselves flogging through an awful lot of threads before they come across the particular piece of help which sorts them out.

That's why I hoped my answer (here you are, have a read of this) was "comprehensive".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that searching can be a nightmare. In the past, I have searched on a particular topic, only to receive 8136 hits! So from that perspective, the fewer threads, the better.
I take both of your points and in future will only redirect people to the appropriate link. Smile

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
markmcrobie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larok wrote:
It's good, at 1000/week you'll experience a real benifit. More so if your territory includes London or the midlands and the like. Less so if your cover Scotland only say.

Have you seen the traffic in Glasgow???

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: