Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N96 & 720 Bluetooth Problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N96 & 720 Bluetooth Problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Nokia N96 & 720 Bluetooth Problems. Reply with quote

Hi, running 3 X 720's, all with 8.3 & 815 maps, and all exhibit the same problems. When pairing, all goes well during the initial hands free set up, phone works with the 720 as hands free, however, as soon as i try to enable data, for traffic etc, the first thing to happen is the hands free is disabled, followed by the red screen of death, 'an error has occurred, unable to complete task, do you want to set up data connection manually'. I then have to manually enter all data parameters, and hopefully it connects. Although the 720 menu still says hands free is enabled, it is not, in fact there is a small icon in the lower left of the screen with a red cross on it, which presumably is reporting the problem, as when you disable HF, the icon goes away. The N96 is on Tom Toms compatibility list as ok, so is this yet another bug in 8.3 or what. I think the software team have had too much wacky baccy. Any one else had this ?
gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to get the N96 for use with my 530 however the website sais the N96 is supported while the N95 isnt but the phone list on the device only lists the N95 and not the N96.
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblades wrote:
I was looking to get the N96 for use with my 530 however the website sais the N96 is supported while the N95 isnt but the phone list on the device only lists the N95 and not the N96.

Hi, Having spoken to TT support many times, and generally found them to be helpful, their product knowledge varies from almost nothing to very good, and depending who you speak to will result in different answers to the same questions.
With regards the 'phone list', my trusty Nokia 6310i was on the phone list, but not the web site, it worked no problem, as you say, the N95 is on the internal list, not the N96, However, most TT advisors quote it is the web site list which is correct, hence my purchase of the N96, which i don't like as a phone, but hoped it would work on my 720's, TT services seem ok, but no HF, which i need to use in hire cars, my own vehicles having Bury hard wired car kits.
I am convinced it is an 8.3 problem, but TT are like all large companies, they won't allow any negative comments, but it is obvious from phone calls, that it is probably the case.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support what you say, I believe it is a TT problem as well.

I have a 720, same spec as yourself. I have a N95 8Gb, to be honest I didn't check if it was supported - just assumed it would be.
No problem pairing the devices, very quick in fact. However, every once in a while when I make an outgoing call, I'm greeted with a screeching noise. A VERY quick redial solves the problem.
As an aside, I also have a SE P990i, and no problems, but it is slow to pair and sometimes needs to be done 2/3 times before it does.

Not sure but have read on other computer forums, that Bluetooth is not as 'universal' as it is supposed to be. Probably has a touch of gum disease. Shocked
gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using my work E70. Generally works but often fails to establish a data connection the 1st time and then will case tt to crash and reboot very shortly afterwards but then normally find for the rest of the trip so not normally a problem.

I have a 6230i as a personal phone so I might just switch sims with a redundant phone at work and use that for tomtom only. It seems to be more reliable and is fully supported.

If anyone can recommend and nice phone which works well with tomtom I would be very interested.
Must have wireless and preferably voip support :P
madnlooney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for digging this up was just looking to get my n96 connected to 910. as mensioned here it goes though all the connection fine but then when doing data option it gets to 60% then the BT link seems to drop and reconnect all the time and doesnt get past that.
Before i had an N95 and that worked perfectly. seems the phone list on the device was correct rather than what TT said n96 being compatable. hope this gets sorted
dennisf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madnlooney wrote:
sorry for digging this up was just looking to get my n96 connected to 910. as mensioned here it goes though all the connection fine but then when doing data option it gets to 60% then the BT link seems to drop and reconnect all the time and doesnt get past that.
Before i had an N95 and that worked perfectly. seems the phone list on the device was correct rather than what TT said n96 being compatable. hope this gets sorted
For a while i have been using a Nokia 6310i with my 720's, all has been fine data and hands free, although i have to say i do not use the hf side of things. Tom Tom said the 6310i was not on the approved list, that's the web site list, not the phone list, which it is on.
As i had a need for full bluetooth compatability, both data and handsfree to use in hire cars, i purchased at great expence, a sim free N96, which Tom Tom support told me was 100% ok, it's also on the web site list as ok as well, but not on the phone list, which i was told to ignore.
It now appears TT are behaving like a load of bankers, they frankly don't appear to know what day of the week it is, let alone support their products.
I for one have had enough, and will not be buying TT again when my current fleet of 720's come up for renewal.
If TT don't get their act together soon, i can honestly see them going bust, as you cannot get away with treating customers with total contempt.
Suffice to say, only data works, no hands free, presumably another victim of 8.3, is a debugged version coming out anytime soon ??
madnlooney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennisf wrote:
For a while i have been using a Nokia 6310i with my 720's, all has been fine data and hands free, although i have to say i do not use the hf side of things. Tom Tom said the 6310i was not on the approved list, that's the web site list, not the phone list, which it is on.
As i had a need for full bluetooth compatability, both data and handsfree to use in hire cars, i purchased at great expence, a sim free N96, which Tom Tom support told me was 100% ok, it's also on the web site list as ok as well, but not on the phone list, which i was told to ignore.
It now appears TT are behaving like a load of bankers, they frankly don't appear to know what day of the week it is, let alone support their products.
I for one have had enough, and will not be buying TT again when my current fleet of 720's come up for renewal.
If TT don't get their act together soon, i can honestly see them going bust, as you cannot get away with treating customers with total contempt.
Suffice to say, only data works, no hands free, presumably another victim of 8.3, is a debugged version coming out anytime soon ??

now that other way round for me i get HF but no data connectivity
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember a post somewhere which said some problems are cured by the sequence in which you switch on either TT first, or phone first. Plus Traffic seems to add another aspect. I only solved my HF problems (Nokia 6230i, fully supported, steam age model) when I settled for using HF on one device (which I haven't updated to 8.3/815) with RDS-TMC running on another device (with 8.3/815). Maybe TomTom would recommend having two devices!! Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience of these Nokias, but as a rule when pairing it is worth checking that your phone also has the latest version of OS available. It certainly changes with OS updates on a BlackBerry. Mine went from pairing nightmare to breeze in one update.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: