Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help me select a model please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me select a model please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Help me select a model please Reply with quote

Im a bit confused by the versions of TomTom.
I have a Go One first version and want to update it. Ive just got a Navman S100 but its nowhere near as good or user friendly as TT!

I would like a TomTom model that...
a) you can easily add waypoints (from this site)

b) has an arrow that points to the destination regardless of what direction the machine tells you to take. (very handy and something the Naveman hasnt got). I like to know if Im at least travelling in the correct direction.

c)Removable SD Card

d)Smart planning (as Im sure it will get better)

Im not bothered by Blue Tooth.

Any ideas please? I want to spend less than £170.

Many thanks,
Tc
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a. They can all do that. The new ONE and XL models have reduced features for POI management, on the machine itself, but you can still add them via the PC and internet.

b. The compass has been crippled in recent SOFTWARE, so no current device will show a compass arrow that points to the destination, only towards North.

c. The only CURRENT TomTom's with SD cards are the x20,x30 and x40 ranges (where "x" is 5 for UK maps, 7 for Europe (including UK) and 9 for Europe and North America).
Older models of the ONE and ONE XL (widescreen) had SD cards and no Bluetooth, but current ones have internal memory only.

d. "Smart Planning" - If by that you mean "IQ Routing", that is available with latest maps on the x20,x30 and x40 ranges.

e. The x20,x30 and x40 ranges have Bluetooth the ONE and XL do not.

The cheapest option is a factory refurb x20 which can be updated for free to exactly the same maps and features as an x30.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

b. The compass has been crippled in recent SOFTWARE, so no current device will show a compass arrow that points to the destination, only towards North.

REALLY?

That was the best feature! My TomTom One still has it, I updated it about 4 months ago.

Sat Navs often send you in the opposite direction in order to pick up a fast road. I like to know if I am going in the wrong direction and in some cases I have navigated just using the location pointer. If you do get completely out of kilter it is nice to know that at least you are traveling towards your destination. It is a very handy feature and Im sad to see it go, if that is the case!

Tc
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

REALLY?

That was the best feature! My TomTom One still has it, I updated it about 4 months ago.

Sat Navs often send you in the opposite direction in order to pick up a fast road. I like to know if I am going in the wrong direction and in some cases I have navigated just using the location pointer. If you do get completely out of kilter it is nice to know that at least you are traveling towards your destination. It is a very handy feature and Im sad to see it go, if that is the case!

Tc

Yes, I greatly miss the show direction to destination. As a (poor) alternative you can disable automatic zooming (or use map view) and zoom out to show a larger map - a remote control helps with this.

Edit: Just noticed this post takes me to 3 figures - time to get a life? Driving

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selecting 'direction' on the status bar preference again will show the direction of travel in both letters (NW, E, etc.) as well as degrees.

Not quite as good as having it within (N7's) the compass itself, but pretty good.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gawd! I don't think I'll get a TomTom now!
May as well stick with my Navman!

Thanx anyway.
Tc
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
Oh gawd! I don't think I'll get a TomTom now!
May as well stick with my Navman!

Thanx anyway.
Tc

If enough potential TomTom buyers said that here and too TomTom themselves, they may eventually have second thoughts.

Did I just say that out loud...Laughing Out Loud

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
Sat Navs often send you in the opposite direction in order to pick up a fast road. I like to know if I am going in the wrong direction and in some cases I have navigated just using the location pointer. If you do get completely out of kilter it is nice to know that at least you are travelling towards your destination. It is a very handy feature and I'm sad to see it go, if that is the case!

Good heavens, why? I regularly go the opposite direction in order to pick up any old road - let's face, it using a compass or destination arrow to drive the wrong way up a one way street is not to be recommended! I went the opposite way only today in London, following the driving arrow on my TomTom - following a simple destination directional arrow would have put me smack up against a series of one way systems which would never have allowed me anywhere near my destination. Unless you are so familiar with a locality that a satnav is redundant, you are very unwise to start following your own idea of direction, rather than the TomTom's navigation instructions/map - that's how blokes first got the reputation they have of being hopeless at getting to somewhere!

When I feel the urge to know which way I'm facing in relation to my destination, a couple of screen taps to Browse Map or Browse Route will quickly show me.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
TangoCharlie wrote:
Sat Navs often send you in the opposite direction in order to pick up a fast road. I like to know if I am going in the wrong direction and in some cases I have navigated just using the location pointer. If you do get completely out of kilter it is nice to know that at least you are travelling towards your destination. It is a very handy feature and I'm sad to see it go, if that is the case!

Good heavens, why? I regularly go the opposite direction in order to pick up any old road - let's face, it using a compass or destination arrow to drive the wrong way up a one way street is not to be recommended! I went the opposite way only today in London, following the driving arrow on my TomTom - following a simple destination directional arrow would have put me smack up against a series of one way systems which would never have allowed me anywhere near my destination. Unless you are so familiar with a locality that a satnav is redundant, you are very unwise to start following your own idea of direction, rather than the TomTom's navigation instructions/map - that's how blokes first got the reputation they have of being hopeless at getting to somewhere!

When I feel the urge to know which way I'm facing in relation to my destination, a couple of screen taps to Browse Map or Browse Route will quickly show me.

Well, I like to use a bit of my brain to navigate with. I hate the idea of relying on the TomTom 100% And my brain is capable of knowing when not to drive down a one-way street. I dont like to keep zooming in and out or browsing the map as Im driving.

Often my TT or Navman will try and get me to do a U-Turn even though I know there is a direct route ahead. Sometimes U-Turns can be hazardous, at least I know Im heading in the correct direction and getting closer to my final destination. I just use the direction arrow as a guide but for me, its an invaluable one!

Tc

Tc
henryg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TTOne v2 still has the compass options; and I use the point to destination option too. But I see it is v7.903 and as it is supposedly up to date, is it v8 that removes this feature?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
even though I know there is a direct route ahead.

Are you not making my point for me?
DennisN wrote:
you are so familiar with a locality that a satnav is redundant

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it's how you test the reliability of sat navs. You need a known route. Only then do you realize just how poor the mapping can be.
If you can't trust it in a known area then how can you for an unfamiliar area?

Tc
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A satnav is intended to be used as an aid only.

If a route is two seconds faster than another, it will take you that way - not that you'll notice the time difference whether in familiar territory or otherwise.

I regularly visit an MoD site, where the roads are obviously not recognised but passing car ferry routes are. My 720, therefore, does the best it can and tells me to jump off the car ferry.

Obviously, there are limitations to using a satnav, but the driver is always ultimately responsible for their own actions.

Sadly, litigation culture seems to have put an end to common sense and intuition, with everything suddenly becoming somebody else's fault and people unable to find a route if it's not what their satnav tells them.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
Only then do you realize just how poor the mapping can be.

TangoCharlie wrote:
in some cases I have navigated just using the location pointer

Surely if, as you say, you like to reach your destination using the arrow only, it makes little difference what the mapping is like Confused
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
TangoCharlie wrote:
Only then do you realize just how poor the mapping can be.

TangoCharlie wrote:
in some cases I have navigated just using the location pointer

Surely if, as you say, you like to reach your destination using the arrow only, it makes little difference what the mapping is like Confused

Indeed but the point of this current discussion is that the pointer has been removed so I am forced to trust the mapping.

And I didnt really just follow an arrow but part of the journey I may divert in the direction of the arrow. There are some loverly straight Roman roads in this part of the UK.

Tc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: