Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Readability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Readability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Satmap Readability Reply with quote

Hi,

I have to admit to being a Garmin user for many years. I recently purchased the Garmin Oregon 300 as it is now possible to use "real" OS maps with it. What I didn't realise is that the display is virtually unreadable in direct sunlight. The display is so dim with the backlight on max that even the dealer said it must be faulty. I returned it and am now looking for an alternative.

The Satmap looks interesting. I will use is for hiking only; I have a TomTom 520 for the car.

How readable is the screen and how is battery life using rechargeable AAs? I'm only looking for about 6 hours. Also how stable is it now? I did some research shortly after it was launched but was put off by the number of problems some users were having.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Dave, the active10 is stable as far as I am concerned, it is quite some time since my unit locked up or crashed - it simply works as expected.

As for battery power I would recommend you go for the LiPol rechargeable battery pack, with this you can get 10 hours plus from a full charge.
If you decide to use NiMh high capacity AA cells then 6 hours is possible, but you will be at the limit.

Screen brightness, I have no issues with it, the backlight boost button can be employed when you do encounter problems in sunlight, this turns the screen to full brightness for a few seconds to read the display - sadly this year I have not had to use the backlight boost button at all due to the British weather! - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I tend to agree with Mike I don't have any problem with the SatMap screen either,however I have not used it in very bright summer sunshine ( cough,cough ) but I don't envisage any problem.It is a MUCH ( that's a big much )better map display than the Garmin Topo,you will be amazed.

The Li-Pol rechargeable battery is your best bet,in fact I think it should have been part of the kit really.One on-line shop is selling the SatMap at £250 and the rechargeable battery kit at £45 so you can get both for less than the "official" SatMap price ( plus P & P ) .If you want to know where PM me as I don't know if advertising is allowed on the forum.

As for reliability,well mine is back at SatMap to be looked at as we speak,but then again I have had a Garmin 60CS replaced twice,or is it three times,so I think that is something you have to bear with handheld GPS's unfortunately as they operate in a more hostile environment than an automotive satnav.Looking back at some of the early gripes I think that the SatMap was probably launched a bit too early as some of the glitches should have been picked up in testing but I imagine they were after the Christmas 2007 market as well as wanting a return on their investment as they are only a tiddler compared to the likes of Garmin.A lot of the problems have been ironed out with the 1.20 software.

What will make the SatMap for me is the on-line mapping and routing WHEN it appears.This will make the SatMap stand head and shoulders above other GPS'S in my opinion as for the price of the SatMap,plus maps on SD cards ,you will in effect get Memory Map as well especially if,as promised it is 1:50000 AND 1:25000 of the whole UK.

There are some demonstrations at various outdoor shops up and down the country at the minute.If you go to the SatMap site it tells you where and when they are if you want to have a look at one if you are considering purchase.

With reference to your Oregon purchase,from what I read both this and the Colorado seem to get very mixed reviews.I don't think I have read a really supportive one yet.

Ian
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

I usually plan my walks using Memory_Map and download the route onto the Garmin. This works very well until I find a blocked path or decide to move off my planned route. It's then back to paper maps as Garmin Topo GB doesn't show many footpaths.

The attraction of the Satmap is that I could plan a revised route on the unit with minimal need for a paper map.

I have read a lot here about an online planning tool but it seems to be a long time coming. I hope I am correct in thinking that I can still plan a route using Memory-Map and transfer the route to the Satmap.

I hate to think how much I am paying OS in royalties. Paper maps, memory-map, Garmin Topo GB and now probably Satmap map cards. All for the same base information!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can still plan routes using Memory Map on the PC then transfer the route via SatSync to the active10.
There is also the online route planner by the Hug that be found on Here which is handy if you don't have mapping for the area you want on the PC.
At some future point we will get the Satmap online route planner which will be a welcome addition - Mike
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Yes you can still plan routes using Memory Map on the PC then transfer the route via SatSync to the active10.
There is also the online route planner by the Hug that be found on Here which is handy if you don't have mapping for the area you want on the PC.
At some future point we will get the Satmap online route planner which will be a welcome addition - Mike

Thanks Mike that has just about sold the Satmap to me.

As an aside. What's the new toy? I have an O2 Orbit (aka HTC Artemis) which I use as my GPS backup. It runs memory-map at no extra cost which is a definite plus. Just a pity that it's not a bit more rugged and with a slightly bigger display.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_the_Hiker wrote:
I have an O2 Orbit (aka HTC Artemis) which I use as my GPS backup. It runs memory-map at no extra cost which is a definite plus. Just a pity that it's not a bit more rugged and with a slightly bigger display.

I also have an Orbit-II, the sig text is a little old now, I decided to try the MWg Zinc-II which is OK but you cannot get accessories for it. If you are concerned about the Orbit-II and not standing up to the outdoors use there are a few options to consider:

1/ Day to day aluminium case which was available from PDair until recently, I have used these on a number of different PDA phones over the years - very well worth the £15 it cost.

2/ For a more waterproof housing that you can wear on the arm and still listen to the audio via the waterproof earphones there is the Overboard MP3 Player case which the Orbit-II can fit in to, this also has space for the HTC mini USB to 3,5MM phono socket adaptor, cost around £35

3/ Or for the ultimate in protection there is the OtterBox, you can still use the touch screen through the clear waterproof screen cover, with the Perspex visor down you get full protection against knocks and drops etc, cost circa £50

The PDA phone is good as a backup but I wouldn't use it as the main GPS device while out walking, I bought the active10 for that roll - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: