Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How the mapping works together / tessalates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How the mapping works together / tessalates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malibu_babe_28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: How the mapping works together / tessalates Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Satmap, and your forum has some really useful information.

A couple of questions though. I'm interested in having Satmap to use with my mountain bike for working out new local routes, retracing routes shown to me by my friends (my memory is terrible!), and for road touring (e.g. sustrans C2C etc). The price difference between the 1:25k and the 1:50k is considerable. I'm wondering what the best way is to spend my money on maps. Initially I'd looked at getting the UK 1:50 (for touring), and 1:25 on selected favourite locations (for offroading). This works out quite expensive though.

If I buy the full UK 1:50k, can I use it at the same time as regional 1:25k (since there is only one card slot, how does this work?).

If I buy 1:25k by county, and I do a ride that straddles county borders (I live on the Hampshire / Berkshire borders), do I have to keep swapping the cards over?

If I pick a square to buy, say in Cornwall, does that mean I am stuck with loads of sea if I bought a large square, or do I get a coast-shaped oblong?

If I am touring (road only) is the mapping which is free on the Satnav comparable with in-car mapping (ie could I dispense with the 1:50k altogether, and spend my money on 1:25k only?)

Advice appreciated.
Tina.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How the mapping works together / tessalates Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, a few questions about the active10 which is a decent device, some of your questions are really only answerable by yourself - the issue about map scales is difficult without knowing what you expect or need from the unit, but on a bike 50K really should suffice.

malibu_babe_28 wrote:
The price difference between the 1:25k and the 1:50k is considerable. I'm wondering what the best way is to spend my money on maps. Initially I'd looked at getting the UK 1:50 (for touring), and 1:25 on selected favourite locations (for offroading). This works out quite expensive though.

The 1:25K is considerably more costly than the 50K and to be honest I have only really needed the extra definition offered by 25K once while walking on foot in very poor conditions, on a bike 50K should suffice.

malibu_babe_28 wrote:
If I buy the full UK 1:50k, can I use it at the same time as regional 1:25k (since there is only one card slot, how does this work?).

SatMap offer a service where they will put multiple maps on a single SD card, in use this does involve switching maps but it saves carrying multiple SD cards with the associated chance of loosing a card!

malibu_babe_28 wrote:
If I buy 1:25k by county, and I do a ride that straddles county borders (I live on the Hampshire / Berkshire borders), do I have to keep swapping the cards over?

You would be better using the self centred map options for an area that you use on a regular basis, there is a small amount of overlay between adjacent maps but no much.

malibu_babe_28 wrote:
If I pick a square to buy, say in Cornwall, does that mean I am stuck with loads of sea if I bought a large square, or do I get a coast-shaped oblong?

Any sea area will be converted to land mass, I ordered a self center map that included Morecombe Bay, SatMap phoned me up to ask where I wanted the sea area adding to the land mass - so I got a map covering a larger area but with no wasted sea area.

malibu_babe_28 wrote:
If I am touring (road only) is the mapping which is free on the Satnav comparable with in-car mapping (ie could I dispense with the 1:50k altogether, and spend my money on 1:25k only?)

To be honest I would start with the device and a local county map at 50K to evaluate if this scale offers what you want - if you go for 25K from the outset this could be a very costly way forward - if, after using the 50K scale map you find the detail inadequate it might be time to consider the 25K scale.

The "Base Map" which is what you get when zoomed out is probably going to be adequate for on road touring usage.

You should also consider the Bike mount for the device and I would recommend the LiPol rechargeable battery pack rather than using the disposable batteries - it will pay for itself in a few weeks of use - Mike
malibu_babe_28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

That's a really helpful reply - thanks!
Being an MTB-er - the detail I am really after is bridleways, which is what I normally cycle on.
I've had a look on the OS website, and it looks like 1:50k will suffice. Huzzah.

Thanks,
TIna.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: