Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatMap Won't Switch On
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatMap Won't Switch On

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: SatMap Won't Switch On Reply with quote

Typical !!

As soon as I said I was happy with the SatMap it starts to have a problem.

After charging the Li-Pol battery it has started not wanting to switch on.When it first occurred I thought it may be "one of those things" but it has done it four or five times now.Can rectify it by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery but of course that is only a stop-gap.

Have e-mailed SatMap so i shall see what they suggest.

Ian
em194543
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bosun

Have to tried flattening the battery completely before charging it? As the unit / battery will have a "memory" of the charge state.

Flattening it completely then fully charging it, will allow the unit / battery to become sychronised again.

Hopefully it might help

Thanks

Mark
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Thanks for your suggestion but I have flattened the battery a few times and recharged ( not particularly for this problem but I read somewhere that it needs five good full charges before it reaches its full potential ) and it hasn't made a lot of difference.

I am leaving it as "won't turn on" till I see what SatMap say as if it is working when/if I return it they won't be able to observe it.

Ian
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have 1.20 installed? I had something similar and it turned out to be a 'freeze' issue not the battery per se.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

em194543 wrote:
Hi Bosun

Have to tried flattening the battery completely before charging it? As the unit / battery will have a "memory" of the charge state.

Flattening it completely then fully charging it, will allow the unit / battery to become sychronised again.

Hopefully it might help

Thanks

Mark

DO NOT FLATTEN LiPol BATTERIES COMPLETELY. They will suffer degredation and not take or hold the full charge in future. Memory issues are not supposed to be a problem with LiPol batteries. The unit should be designed to disconnect before the battery voltage drops to the danger level.

See this item
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipol
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you have 1.20 installed? I had something similar and it turned out to be a 'freeze' issue not the battery per se.

Yes I have always had 1.20 installed.

jonesbach,thanks for the info about Li-Pol batteries.By flattening them I mearly meant until the unit switches off.

Ian
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had exactly the same issue....had 8 months of regular re-charging with no problems...then started to get the problem mentioned in the Bosun's post, where the unit will not switch on after charging. It does not happen every time but often enough to be inconvenient...unplugging the battery sorts it out.

I'd be interested to hear the response from SatMap
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charged it up night before last and it wouldn't switch on yesterday morning or evening.This morning it switched on but it said battery was low and switched off again.So it had never charged in the first place or it had discharged in 24 hours or so.

As I hadn't had a reply to my e-mail so far I telephoned SatMap this morning and they told me to return it to them to be repaired/replaced.

Incidenatally,if returning stuff to SatMap don't forget to ask for the Freepost address to save laying out on postage.

Ian
michael100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Satmap wont switch on Reply with quote

I see there are a number of people who suggest unplugging the battery
My Satmap went totally dead after many months of faultless use . Tried everything including replacing the Li pol withh AA batteries.Sent it back to Satmap and got it back 3 days later ! The Repair report reads "Board repaired - Power connector pins were badly bent "
I was not concious of forcing the pins but the connector is very delicate and not suitable for even occassional use never mind the great outdoors
As the Satmap is a computer it needs a robust way of disconnecting / swopping batteries
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got the SatMap back today and they have replaced the Li-Pol battery so we shall see how it goes.Hopefully all will now be OK.

Excellent turnaround time,especially as it is so near Christmas and no paying out postage and claiming it back etc.

I must agree with Michael,the battery connection seems awfully fragile and fiddly especially if there is a need to disconnect/reconnect whilst on a walk.I hope this can be rectified sometime in the future although I don't really see how for those who already own units but you never know.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: