Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrade to 815.2003 Maps Woes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade to 815.2003 Maps Woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Upgrade to 815.2003 Maps Woes Reply with quote

my 920T was working fine using v7 maps and navcore 8.3 but decided to take advantage of reduced price and upgrade maps. The only good thing so far out of it is the lane guidance. It seems to have trashed lots of other things:

1. Favourites gone.

2. Home location gone.

3. Voice camera alerts stopped - have sorted this by changing voice and enabling all the poi alerts for them again!

3. TMA which worked some of the time now deosn't work at all even in places where it used to.

4. Large poi speed camera warning on top left gone completely. Have installed 44x44's and will see if it works when I go out.

5. ETA fluctuates wildly by around 20 minutes every few seconds until I am a fair way in to my trip.

6. Sluggish response when navigating menus and changing settings.

Tempted to do a restore fasctory settings or a reset to see if it fixes some of these. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jon
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You need to restore your mapsettings.cfg file from your backup to your map directory as this file saves your favourites.

2. You need to restore your mapsettings.cfg file from your backup to your map directory as this file saves your Home location.

3. You need to restore your mapsettings.cfg file from your backup to your map directory as this file saves your settings.

3. TMC? Not seen this issue myself but others have.

4. You must have upgraded you Navcore as well and the new version only supports 44 x 44. Should work OK and these now come in the camera files.

5. See slight variations as traffic and routes change but not this much.

6. Seems a common fault with 8.3 Navcore wich I assume you have used. There are a few threads on this under stuttering and 8.3.

A factory settings restore will not make much difference.

Sometimes MapSettings.cfg will not transfer between versions but it is always a good idea to keep a recent backup of this file as most of your settings are saved in it.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

have nearly set everything back to as was now so won't bother with old mapsettings.cfg restore but only TomTom knows why should you need to do this anyway!

as for 5 I was driving a tricky route from manchester to Norwich so maybe it thinks about it for a while and takes more things in to consideration than it did before.

Jon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MapSettings.cfg from an earlier release will not work with the 8,300 release, the new software cannot read the older data format so it wipes the file and creates a new empty one. It is for this reaon I will not use the Favourites option I just use custom POI files as these are safe from upgrades - Mike
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The MapSettings.cfg from an earlier release will not work with the 8,300 release, the new software cannot read the older data format so it wipes the file and creates a new empty one. It is for this reaon I will not use the Favourites option I just use custom POI files as these are safe from upgrades - Mike

Agreed. Cannot see the point in using Favourites - except to set a Home location.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
oldbwl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I have a 520 which I upgraded to v8.3 and then copied over the mapsettings file and all my favourites and other settings came back just as before.

Dan
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldbwl wrote:
I have a 520 which I upgraded to v8.3 and then copied over the mapsettings file and all my favourites and other settings came back just as before.

Dan

I had exactly the same exprience when updating my 520. Everything came back as the original.

I haven't had the stuttering voice problems, either.

Must be one of the few lucky ones!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: