Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go 720 Replacement Battery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go 720 Replacement Battery
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its actually much easier to get at the battery on the x20/ x30 but it does still involve removal of ribbon cables etc. If you are slightly concerned about undertaking any of the steps outlined below don’t touch the device and pay some one else to fix it.

If you break your device its not my fault, so don't come back shouting here!

Anyone looking to change the battery in their device should read through the entire thread to get a few ideas about removal of the battery cell which isn't easy.

Get it wrong and you could rip copper tracks off the PCB, if you accidentally cut in to the battery then it will probably catch fire or explode.

You will need a Torx No5 bit/ screwdriver and a pair of fine tweezers would be handy but not essential.

Remove the SD card if fitted.
Lay the device screen side down and remove the two screws from the rear of the device:

Insert your thumb nail between the silver trim and black surround near the top of the device, the main unit will start to ease from the black case:

You can now easily extract the main unit, take care not to exert force on the interconnecting cables. Note the main screen ribbon cable, under the black tape is a small PCB multi way connector, remove the tape for access.

At both ends of the connector strip is a small fragile plastic lever, these need to be eased upwards to release the ribbon cable, they only need to move a few MM in order to release the cable. The other two core plug can stay connected for this job so leave it alone.

You can now see the Torx head screws securing the main board into the housing, remove each of these, once they are all out ease the board from the housing, again the speaker wire stays in place so don't go pulling it around too much. With the main board removed turn it over to reveal the battery.

Slightly closer view of the battery and the three pin multi way plug it is fitted with.

- Mike

Edit Once to add notes about reading through entire thread and battery removal issues - Mike Alder

Last edited by mikealder on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Mike.

Thats a standard 3.7 lith battery.....so yes you can get bigger amp battery. Do a good search...ebay included and you'll find one

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with larger capacity cells is they are often physically larger in thickness, I doubt these will fit within the case.
To be honest the standard battery has enough charge capacity when new, my 18 month old 720 is currently only lasting 30 to 40 minutes without the charger connected (a real pain when you get a hire car with a dead ciggy lighter socket).
I will be swapping the cell out later this month once I get a replacement. Unless someone can locate something like a 3000mAh cell that will still fit then its probably best to stick to like for like component swapping, a couple of hundred mili amphours isn't going to be noticable in use - Mike
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the info.
I wil have a rummage for batteries and if i find anything compatible will get back.
It was just an idea, if I was going to replace then could it be with a longer lasting one.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A much larger battery wouldn't always be much bigger. Finding one might be. The standard one should be quite cheap anyway

Theres a guy on ebay sells them for £16 delivered. 1300 ah...... but thats OK its age and recharging that knackers them..in another 2 years just buy another......

Just search on TomTom 720 batteries

Last edited by topgazza on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
I have just had a good look at your instructions/pictures and I will save the Post in case I ever need to get into the 720. Thanks.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Slightly closer view of the battery and the three pin multi way plug it is fitted with.
Oh for goodness sake, come on Mike!! I've just spent AGES staring fixedly at those pictures to try and find a battery with a three pin plug on it (just an academic interest, I quickly add - my fingers are not small enough to be mistaken for the optional tweezers, so I'll not be going there). Why can't you guru blokes draw arrers on things saying "This big black thing is the battery", "This little thing is the three pin plug" (I found that at the end of some wire -in the picture, not my 720 - after I found the battery, which I eventually discovered was black and had Lythium Polymer written on it or I would never have guessed).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats Mike all over though. Never clear enough.....shoddy workmanship.....I blame the parents

DraySoft
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Good news and bad news - good news I collected a replacement battery from GPSforLess today, thanks Trevor1234, followed Mike’s excellent instructions to gain access to the battery , all good news so far.

THEN.... start of bad news, the old battery is secured to the PCB with double sided tape the strength of which I have not seen before, after some considerable time I managed to free the battery. I then applied tape to new battery and stuck it to the PCB connected all connectors and reassembled my 720. ( I found it better to remove all the connectors due to the fact that I had to apply a considerable amount of effort to remove the old battery and I did not want to stress the thin wires)

I charged the unit for some time then switched it on, after a few ‘red crosses’ and hard resets the unit initialized correctly locking onto the GPS signals.

BUT.... All of the Bluetooth menu items are ‘greyed’ out I have reinstalled one of my backup’s but the Bluetooth still does not work, anyone got any ideas?

I should add I worked in the Electronics industry for 45 years before becoming a ‘white van man’ in this role I very often dismantled / repaired and calibrated all kinds of electronic instrumentation so I was not in the least phased by dismantling my 720. Getting to the battery is not the hard, removing it is nigh on impossible and I think I may have damaged the thin PCB in doing: so think twice before attempting to remove a Tomtom battery.

I will dismantle it again tomorrow and reconnect the ribbon cable just in case it has not seated correctly, however I did check it when I assembled today.

Draysoft
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope its OK.

Curious how companies, TT aren't alone in this, make the replacement of a component that has a known "half life" and will fail before the device does almost impossible to remove. I would imagine even repair shops would have a problem. Sounds easier but a good scalpel and hours of patiently slicing away is the order of the day. Thats even if you can get under it enough

Not done it so Draysoft's warning is a very valid one.

Sheesh!

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Change Preferences/ Restore factory settings although this won't repair any PCB damage it should reset the device to default and then see if the BT options are available - Mike
DraySoft
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - tried that before I installed the backup, as I said I am going to dismantle again to night and have a good look at the ribbon connector and also the PCB for damage.

Everything to do with the phone is missing from the menu's, the phone icon on the first menu screen and all bluetooth icons.

I will keep you posted.

Draysoft.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DraySoft
I’m sorry to hear that the 720 battery is so difficult to remove and the predicament that you now find yourself in. Please keep us posted as to the final outcome. Its something that we 720 users must bare in mind if our batteries ever begin to go down hill.

I just hope that you find out what’s wrong later this evening.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an optimist...I reckon its a connector not sitting right...

DraySoft
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it must be a hardware fault I dismantled it again then reassembled it very carefully reinstalled the original software still no phone icon and all Bluetooth icons greyed out. Are well at least it still works as a GPS routing device, I will get it repaired if it can be in the near future.

On the Tomtom web site I note this :-
Question.
Can I change the battery on my TomTom.

Answer.
No. If you have a problem with the battery, please contact TomTom customer support.

Don't forget that you can use your TomTom device in the car with the car charger and at home with the home charger or home dock even if you are having a problem with the battery.
This doesn't help as has been said jf the car power outlet doesn't work or you want to use it outside.

If I were to do it again I would very ‘carefully’ cut the battery outer plastic sleeve with a scalpel, remove the old cells then peel the sleeve off the PCB.
I say ‘carefully’ as Lithium Polymer batteries can be VERY unpredictable if damaged in any way i.e. overcharge or shorted see this link http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpANRFrI4

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: