Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go 720 Replacement Battery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go 720 Replacement Battery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These batteries can be changed without removing the ribbon cable,Ive done loads.Use this video to help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYA5zFO3Ap4

Also it might help loosen the adhesive tape if you plug the unit into a charger for a while to warm the battery up.

DracUK

Last edited by DracUK on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above, you don't need to remove the ribbon cable it is easier leaving it in place. I got my battery from "BatteryMill" which came with tools to do the job. The way that I removed the battery from the circuit board was to warm the battery gently with a hairdryer and used the corner of an old credit/store/loyalty card to gently cut away the adhesive underneath.

It also helps if you put your screwdriver on a magnet to magnetise it so that the small screws stick to it (you take the magnet off first of course) In total it took about half an hour slowly following the video in the link in the previous message.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced my 730 battery last year and agree with others it's best not to disconnect any ribbon cables as there is no need to do this.

The new battery is far better than the old one ever was.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not disconnecting the ribbon cable..... Shocked

Either they are using less sticky glue to weld the batteries to the PCB now, or you have very impressive hand control.

By the time you've got about three tools in there prising the battery up enough to squirt the tin of WD40 or other solvent, I'd think there's every danger of damaging the ribbon or connector.

(Admittedly, the tiny latches on those connectors can be a bit scary and easy to wreck if you get it wrong)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the battery in my GO520 a month ago. So easy it was like falling off a log and took a mere ten minutes from start to end.

How???

I passed it across the table to MikeAlder between prawn cocktail and roast turkey! Laughing Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my first time Andy and I used the link to the video above. I admit that they made the removal of the battery too easy as they obviously had removed it before. Believe me, the battery was stuck fast but gently warming and patient levering with a plastic card worked a treat and there was not the hassle of removing/refitting the ribbon cable.
Brad99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just changed my 530 battery, took about 20 minutes. It's an Amazon £6 battery, time will tell if it's good or not. The TomTom battery was 4 yrs old and completely gone, barely lasting a day in standby after a full charge.

Agreed, no need to unplug the ribbon cable. The OEM battery was held in place with double sided tape and once it had started to lift a bit with a plastic lever (old Isopon spreader) it came off quite easily without heat but it's a warm day which probably helped. I reused the tape on the new battery. The 530 booted up OK afterwards.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my Go 720 battery this afternoon in about 15 minutes with a £6.12 one from Amazon and all appears to be well. I had read Mike Alder's instructions and followed the uTube video.

I was dead lucky, the tape holding the old one had lost its strength and the battery fell out Taunt it had been replaced by satnavshop a few years ago and the tape was probably not as strong as what TomTom used originally.

I would now like some advice as to how best to look after it. I know LiOns don't have a memory effect like NiCads so have always kept the device on charge in its dock and I wondered if that's why the last 2 batteries haven't lasted very long. It's only used 2 or 3 times a year, always plugged into the car charger.

I have an iPad app called Battery Doctor which advises that, at least once a month, the battery should be allowed to go below 20%. and I wondered if I should be doing the same with the 720 or if there's something else I should be doing.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like the Battery University website, for these questions about battery conditioning etc..

Lots to read there, but I found this straight away:

Quote:
Aging is a concern with most lithium-ion batteries and many manufacturers remain silent about this issue. Some capacity deterioration is noticeable after one year, whether the battery is in use or not. The battery frequently fails after two or three years. It should be noted that other chemistries also have age-related degenerative effects. This is especially true for nickel-metal-hydride if exposed to high ambient temperatures. At the same time, lithium-ion packs are known to have served for five years in some applications.

Manufacturers are constantly improving lithium-ion. New and enhanced chemical combinations are introduced every six months or so. With such rapid progress, it is difficult to assess how well the revised battery will age.

Storage in a cool place slows the aging process of lithium-ion (and other chemistries). Manufacturers recommend storage temperatures of 15°C (59°F). In addition, the battery should be partially charged during storage. The manufacturer recommends a 40% charge.

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I rather like the Battery University website, for these questions about battery conditioning etc..

Lots to read there, but I found this straight away:

Quote:
Aging is a concern with most lithium-ion batteries and many manufacturers remain silent about this issue. Some capacity deterioration is noticeable after one year, whether the battery is in use or not. The battery frequently fails after two or three years. It should be noted that other chemistries also have age-related degenerative effects. This is especially true for nickel-metal-hydride if exposed to high ambient temperatures. At the same time, lithium-ion packs are known to have served for five years in some applications.

Manufacturers are constantly improving lithium-ion. New and enhanced chemical combinations are introduced every six months or so. With such rapid progress, it is difficult to assess how well the revised battery will age.

Storage in a cool place slows the aging process of lithiu
m-ion (and other chemistries). Manufacturers recommend storage temperatures of 15°C (59°F). In addition, the battery should be partially charged during storage. The manufacturer recommends a 40% charge.
Thanks Andy, it seems I may be doing the wrong thing keeping it on charge but that about 3 years is about all we can expect. Now that i know how easy it is to replace the battery and that they are relatively cheap it isn't so bad.
cn1701
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery in my 930 has been playing up for a while now so I might as well try and replace it.

Are there any recommended sellers or brands as I would want to avoid fitting a cheap chinese aftermarket replacement and have it go up in smoke or worse.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Amazon one seems fine.
cn1701
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:

Amazon UK do not sell them directly though there are a few fulfilled by Amazon.

Cheapest fulfilled by Amazon seems to be a Cameron Sino sold by Hamdis at £6.05 then HQRP at £9.95 then the NewPower99 kit at £18.95.

Chances are they are all the same battery pack with different stickers.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cn1701 wrote:
Calomax wrote:

Amazon UK do not sell them directly though there are a few fulfilled by Amazon.

Cheapest fulfilled by Amazon seems to be a Cameron Sino sold by Hamdis at £6.05 then HQRP at £9.95 then the NewPower99 kit at £18.95.

Chances are they are all the same battery pack with different stickers.
Yes, mine was fulfilled by Amazon. It was £6.16 including postage and came in 2 days.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: