Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skierboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Speed camera database Reply with quote

Hi, can you please tell me if your database is any different to that of what I can buy from TomTom?

Is yours anymore extensive than their database?

Does your speed warnings look any different on a TomTom with your information to the standard?

Thanks
skierboy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably easiest to start with reading this thread
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to that guide...

The PGPSW database has ALL reported mobile camera sites. TomTom's only attempts to show those "live" today (assuming you have the phone link to update it. As it depends on users reporting it, it's pretty poor.

The PGPSW shows the cameras on screen and also as a large speed-limit sign in the top left corner. The TomTom database shows it smaller and often just as a camera icon, not the speed.

The PGPSW one is much more complete/accurate/ up to date.

With the PGPSW one you can also have voice warnings giving the speed limit, the TT one can only go "bing" or at the very most say the camera *type* not speed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often is the database from TomTom updated is it monthly, four times a year - anyone got an idea?
The PGPSW database is updated weekly - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with TT database is it's not transparent. Apart from all the points already raised .....

The pgpsw database release notification gives you a link to see how many cameras are in the db.
The notification tells you how many new/changed cameras are involved "this week".
The cameras are always visible on the device, so whether you are driving or simply browsing, you can see the camera sites.

Nobody knows any of the above about the TT database. It's even more of a secret than the mapshare corrections.

How can you possibly have confidence in something which simply says "Trust me, I'm great!" when it quickly demonstrates that with warnings for non existent cameras and no warnings for new cameras it clearly is NOT great.

TomTom proved they were unable to present a reliable database of their own and it looks as though they are now trying to prove they can be unreliable with somebody else's. They'd be far better off concentrating on providing a solid platform for third party stuff, like pgpsw database.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The problem with TT database is it's not transparent.

I think you have found the answer to the TomTom Safety Camera database

Yes, its the icons, they must be transparent and thats why they don't show up when they should do...............
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, how about the Garmin db ?

It, Garmin, seems to be reasonably up to date, and it's status is reported by PGPSW each time the PGPSW db is updated.

I'm using the PGPSW db on my Garmin, having renewed my subs for the 2nd year, but I find the Garmin db better in a few area's.

My main complaint is that the PGPSW db will warn me about camera's which do not look at me, unlike the Garmin db :

- Going along a motorway in a 70mph limit, I get a 40mph warning for road bridges I'm driving under, which the Garmin db would ignore.

- On a duel carriageway with a camera on both sides, the Garmin DB will only warn me about the one on my side, correctly, but the PGPSW db warns me twice.

I know that Garmin will only 'allow' the Garmin db to work this 'correct' way, but unless the PGPSW db is much superior in it's data, I'm thinking of turning off the PGPSW db and only using the Garmin one as active. The PGPSW db will still display on my map, but will not be active.

Any thoughts? Cool
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts? Yes plenty. Garmin's database is £29.99 per year per device for UK only. Ours is £16.99 for all countries we cover and up to three devices.

I'm pretty sure Garmin don't cover red-light cameras either.

You can also qualify for free lifetime updates, we're fully open about the service and our data is better. We have direction data but Garmin reserve the use of that for their own service. If we could offer it we would happily.

At the end of the day though it's the data quality that is paramount and i stand by the firm belief that ours is very much better and more up to date.
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

... At the end of the day though it's the data quality that is paramount and i stand by the firm belief that ours is very much better and more up to date.

Cheers.

... which is why I've paid for a 2nd year Very Happy

It's just a shame that your/our data alerts to roads you are not on. After a while there is a danger of ignoring an alert, thinking it's yet another false alarm. As you say, Garmin force this, so it's not your fault. Is this the same for Tom Tom ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is now.....

Until very recently, the TomTom-supplied database couldn't differentiate direction either, but in recent software versions they now can. Like Garmin, they are keeping it to themselves.

Out of interest... what is the Garmin database like for Mobile sites? Do you know what their policy is?

PGPSW keep records of ALL sites used (for ever) and only purge them from the monthly releases after a year or more with no further sightings.

TomTom have a system where they try to ONLY show sites that are manned ON THAT DAY. Obviously this depends on amazingly good reporting and instant updates, neither of which seem to work in practice.
chastreo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Out of interest... what is the Garmin database like for Mobile sites? Do you know what their policy is?

From what I've seen, the Mobile sites are logged the same as the PGPSW db, but it obviously depends how well their data is updated.

BTW, we are talking about Mobile sites that have warning signs aren't we ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i've played with the garmin/cyclops database the mobile stuff has been an 'area' rather than an actual 'site'. ie you can drive along a road for half a mile being constantly beeped at that you are 0.1mph over the speed in a mobile zone. no idea where the actual trap is placed though...

and as darren says, they don't offer redlight camera warnings.

MaFt
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastreo wrote:

BTW, we are talking about Mobile sites that have warning signs aren't we ?

It has got nothing to do with camera warning signs. They can be put anywhere and are rarely anywhere near mobile cameras. The mobile sites are where actual mobile cameras have been seen to be operating by members
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chastreo wrote:
OK, how about the Garmin db ?

It, Garmin, seems to be reasonably up to date, and it's status is reported by PGPSW each time the PGPSW db is updated.
You have misunderstood that report - it means that the PGPSW database for Garmin devices is now up to date - I presume it takes different effort to compile separately and usually lags behind the main database by a day or so.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dennis say, the GPRS Database isn't the Garmin database but another format of the PGPSW database for Garmin devices that don't support the CSV database. More info here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: