Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 540 Live crashing problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 540 Live crashing problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pecten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Go 540 Live crashing problem? Reply with quote

Don't know whether anyone else is experiencing similar issues?

When driving around the 540 Live will momentarily lock up then restart itself, this seems to happen quite randomly.
Sometimes it will happen several times a day, sometimes not at all.

If using the Bluetooth hands free facility with an Orange SPV C600 phone, the problem is more prevalent and involves the Tom-tom unit locking up completely. The sound sticks on the last word repeating it like some weird kind of rapping!

The use of hand free seems to dramatically increase the number of times the unit locks up, the other day it happened about 5 – 6 times in 4 hours driving.

Sending the unit back to eBuyer for replacement, my friend has exactly the same set-up and has exactly the same issues with an identical unit also purchased from eBuyer.

Is this just some batch problem with their stock, or has anyone else similar issues with the 540 Live?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem has happened with previous ranges - x10/x20/x30 and now is still present in all models in the x40 series. There is no sign of a fix from TomTom who don't seem to recognise the issue. It's why I don't own an x30 or x40 device (x30 I bought and took straight back when it occurred on day two).

I have solved this problem by using TWO x20 devices alongside each other, one with bluetooth phone pairing, the other with Traffic (RDS-TMC Antenna). It is NOT a cheap solution (correction, it's not a solution!!) and I doubt if TomTom would consider offering it, but it's the only one which works for me!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure whether this is particularly a TomTom issue as opposed to a bluetooth issue. I see this with my wife's 530 and a Sony T610 but it does not happen with the Sony T630 or HTC smart phones. It also happens with my Ipaq pairing with various devices and that has nothing to do with TomTom.

I have not seen it happen on the 940 at all and of course on the x40 you don't need to pair with the phone for GPRS data which you had to do on the earlier models, it has that built in.

I have not really found much use for the hands free facility on the 940, I get far better quality calls with less fiddling from the hard wired car hands free.
pecten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responses.

I used to have my Orange SPV C600 paired with my TomTom One XL for GPRS Traffic, never had this issue.

Orange SPV C600 is actually an HTC manufactured Smartphone, so rules that theory out.

I will try another unit obtained from a different supplier and see if the problem persists, my friend will do the same and also see if any different.

Unfortunately the hard wired hands-free goes shortly with the car and this was supposed to be the answer!
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that if parked up, hands-free operates well and without a problem.

But, if you use hands free whilst travelling, then the Stuttering appears.

So my theory is when you are travelling and move from one mobile mast coverage area into the next, the signal gets interrupted and the Bluetooth pairing/settings.

Depending how sensitive the settings/pairings are with your type of mobile depends on whether you suffer the stutters!!

TomTom had my 720 for over 4 weeks to determine the problem, they said all was OK and sent it back. 10 minutes out of box I was back to square 1.

My 920 fairs no better.

I now have a sunvisor bluetooth hands free kit
GO 920 Dead
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is another piece in the jigsaw but the 530 has a setting "incoming phone calls can be accepted while accessing wireless data" and this seems to automatically disable itself but the phone is capable of managing this.
pecten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
I have found that if parked up, hands-free operates well and without a problem.

But, if you use hands free whilst travelling, then the Stuttering appears.

So my theory is when you are travelling and move from one mobile mast coverage area into the next, the signal gets interrupted and the Bluetooth pairing/settings.

Depending how sensitive the settings/pairings are with your type of mobile depends on whether you suffer the stutters!!

TomTom had my 720 for over 4 weeks to determine the problem, they said all was OK and sent it back. 10 minutes out of box I was back to square 1.

My 920 fairs no better.

I now have a sunvisor bluetooth hands free kit

The stuttering occurs irrespective of mobile signal, on many occasions last week I was calling a land line when parked up with full signal and it still locked up!

On other occasions I was driving with no interruption even though mobile signal was fluctuating wildly.
pecten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I am not sure if this is another piece in the jigsaw but the 530 has a setting "incoming phone calls can be accepted while accessing wireless data" and this seems to automatically disable itself but the phone is capable of managing this.

The Go Live 540 doesn't use a connected mobile phone for data as it has it's own GSM connection.

The issue you describe would explain issues on an X30 device but not an X40.

Thnaks anyway!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: