Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW McGuider / Sygic Drive - Due to be released 21 Nov 08
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW McGuider / Sygic Drive - Due to be released 21 Nov 08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: NEW McGuider / Sygic Drive - Due to be released 21 Nov 08 Reply with quote

Was speaking to one of the Sygic Techsupport guys the other day, and was informed that a new release is due today (21st) with some major updates, incl routing, voice and much much more.

I keep checking their site but nothing yet. Have the admins from Pocketgpsworld heard anything on the grapevine ???

By the sound of the upgrade list, this could prove to be a superb piece of software, maps in our area (Northeast) are superb, even has roads and roundabouts only opened 3 months ago......Tomtom is still lacking stuff put in 2yrs ago :-)
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly no one seems to know any more about this but maybe this forum http://www.expansys.com/pf.aspx?i=167452 will produce something.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been informed that the new 2009 version is already available from TeleAtlas and there will be no FOC to newer software for existing users. The price to upgrade to the latest software (and maps) will therefore be £59.99 direct for TA. I'm sure when Expansys have to reorder the price there will be more reasonable (around £50)
The really odd part about it is there is no notification of this new version on either mcguider.com or on teleatlas own website.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is so then they have shot themselves in the foot. Whilst it would be the norm (and so competitive) to charge for mapping upgrades, not to provide free updates of the handling software is unusual and so just plain short sighted. If this is the way McGuider intends to go then it will be goodbye from me.
pukka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intresting. i will have to phone them as i have only had the program for 41 days. that was the main reason for buying the program. not a happy bunny now Sad

Paul
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been speaking to Maria at Tele Atlas, who confirmed that there is NO UPGRADE path from the previous version, if you had only purchased it a week earlier.

Its a case of if you want the 2009 version then you need to purchase it. As you say there is no mention on the McGuider site, and given the amount of changes in the software you would of thought they would of been shouting it from the roof tops......very strange marketing plan.

I intend to purchase, as my experience with the previous version has been very good, despite some of the quirks of the software, but the changes should make it all worth while. Certainly in my area the maps are really up to date, far superior than Tomtoms, and it works straight out of the box on my E71.

Byebye Tomtom and thanks for your lack of support.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am torn about whether to buy or not to be honest. If they are going to treat the early buyers so badly then what is to stop them doing the same in the future.
The McGuider website clearly states that extra features would be available in the software from summer 2008. The clear inference to me from this is that it would be an upgrade to the version you bought.
Added to this is the problems I have had getting support - TA always passed me on to Sygic for support and then Sygic then either provide half an answer or pass you back to TA. Only in rare occasions (and usually when I was providing suggestions) has the reply been very helpful.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact the faqs on the McGuider website have now been updated, presumably to reflect the new version. It is very interesting to note that under item 9 of faqs, software updates via download are still promised!!! This does seem a little more hopeful or am I just clutching at straws?
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect wishful thinking given the track record from last year.

I also noticed the main site has been updated slightly and offers a 15% discount on the next purchase from the TeleAtlas website. However when I got the email from them after registering, it had a nice blank space where the code should be. I have asked TA for the code but am not holding out muh hope. It seems they can't do much right where McGuider is concerned these days.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update re the discount code not showing. It appears to be a backend application error (I could of told them this already Laughing Out Loud) that their webmasters are working on. No ETA though.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the new version today (after finally getting the discount code) so will post a quick change review when I get it (and have had chance to play). Hopefully they have implemented some of the suggestions they have been given.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: