Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 Stuck on Calculating Route 0%
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 Stuck on Calculating Route 0%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: i3 Stuck on Calculating Route 0% Reply with quote

Jemima Bless her, my i3 is now getting old. She seems to be going senile.
Very often sticks on "Calculating Route 0%" when first finding a route (even Home!) The only fix for this is a hold the off button reset, then she gets it right. I have tried waiting till 3/4 bars signal before programming and straight at power on. I have tried reloading the firmware, reloading just UK maps, cut down the number of POI, and even hard reset.
I have also noticed she stutters sometimes. At the "..take the .......pause....... 3rd exit"

Has anybody else had this? I think I should get more than a couple of years use from a gadget before replacing. Is she losing the plot Sad ?

She has v3.4, Audio 2.30 and a TopRam 512MB MicroSD.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: i3 Stuck on Calculating Route 0% Reply with quote

phillik wrote:
Jemima Bless her, my i3 is now getting old. She seems to be going senile.
Very often sticks on "Calculating Route 0%" when first finding a route (even Home!) The only fix for this is a hold the off button reset, then she gets it right. I have tried waiting till 3/4 bars signal before programming and straight at power on. I have tried reloading the firmware, reloading just UK maps, cut down the number of POI, and even hard reset.
I have also noticed she stutters sometimes. At the "..take the .......pause....... 3rd exit"

Has anybody else had this? I think I should get more than a couple of years use from a gadget before replacing. Is she losing the plot Sad ?

She has v3.4, Audio 2.30 and a TopRam 512MB MicroSD.

I had a similar problem with calculating routes on an i3, with post 2.82 firmware. I had reasonable success with ensuring that it had properly acquired satelites, and that I wasn't moving, whilst it was calculating the route.

However, I only ever got stability back by reverting to 2.70 of the firmware (well in fairness, I run the 2.82 beta version, but the point remains the same).

Does your i3 have everything on the transflash card - if so, it may be worth putting the card in a card reader, and running a chkdsk just to make sure the filesystem is OK on it - and do a backup of the card first.
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply. Just done a Chkdsk on the card and all OK. Only using 145MB. I do have the old 256MB card, so could try a revert to 2.7 but I don't like the roundabout timing of voice.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillik wrote:
Thanks for reply. Just done a Chkdsk on the card and all OK. Only using 145MB. I do have the old 256MB card, so could try a revert to 2.7 but I don't like the roundabout timing of voice.

The 2.82 beta had the improved timing of the voice prompts, and the stability of 2.70 (IMO / IME).

Some issues with categories of POIs that were displayed, but for me, it's the sweet spot for the firmware versions.
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester. I have now reformatted the original 128MB Transflash and restored its backup, reinstalled maps v8, removed and reloaded my POI. I will give this a test. I can only find a copy of 2.7, do you know where 2.82 Beta can be found? Many Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old firmwares can be found here
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. Very Happy
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results:
I loaded 2.8beta and tried for a while. Had 1 freeze up during navigation. Custom POI's were not available. I struggled with the prompt timing.

So. Reset it, wiped the lot ,reloaded 3.4 v9 maps on the original SD.

It seems to be behaving now. Hope I get at least 1 more years work out of her.

Thanks for help guys.
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Possible answer to stcuk on 0% Reply with quote

My i3 got worse and was stating to lock up at 0% constantly. But I think I have the answer.! I have reduced the number of POI down to 40 including cameras. I know there is a limit of 85 categories causing the i3 to fail to boot, but it appears my unit may not even cope with 85. If it does it again I will have to retire her.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible answer to stcuk on 0% Reply with quote

phillik wrote:
My i3 got worse and was stating to lock up at 0% constantly. But I think I have the answer.! I have reduced the number of POI down to 40 including cameras. I know there is a limit of 85 categories causing the i3 to fail to boot, but it appears my unit may not even cope with 85. If it does it again I will have to retire her.

If you don't like 2.82 beta, go back to 2.70.

Then see if you have any stability problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: