Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Home has me baffled.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Home has me baffled.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Home has me baffled. Reply with quote

Hi there.
I have a Go 720 and I am ruining Navcore v8.300 and Map v8.010.
I am a paid up customer of the map update service.

At the moment there is a new map available v8.15, but if I use Home it only offers me v660.

I have received the Newsletter from Tomtom telling me that there is a new map waiting to download but if I follow the download link on the letter I still get the offer of A v660.

I have tried the dodge of emptying the Home/Downloads folder and deleting the map folder on my device and then Home offers me the v815, but only if I pay for it.

I have just emailed Tomtom to see if they can advise me but will get no help from them until next week.

I am in no hurry to get the map (especially after reading the comments on the forum) but the fact remains that I have paid for the map and therefore want it.

I really am quite baffled by Home offering me the download of map v660.

Any ideas?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens from time to time and the usual culprit is (again) the crappy TomTom servers.
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same experience for a while now - reported it over a month ago. Had several exchanges, including sending screen shots of what Home is offering as well as other details of the device. About a week ago, after another nudge for a response, TomTom admitted that quite a few people are experiencing this weird constant offer of a version 6 map update together with an outdated post code file and that their boffins are working on it. I am awaiting a response from TomTom to a request made yesterday for a further progress update.

Having said that, I was offered the 'proper' map update by Home a few days ago (although I missed it the first time, as I had to scroll down past the wrongly offered map etc to find the right one at the bottom of a long list of updates on offer). That was a relief as I had supposed I wouldn't get the proper map update all the while the version 6 was on offer,
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lamplight
Ah! You have given me hope. I will connect to home again today to see if the new map offer has appeared before I start calling Tomtom rude names. But if not, well, I will just have to wait and see what Tomtom services have to say.

Other programmes and updates that I download from the web go like a dream but Home always goes like a nightmare. It is so b----y annoying.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lamplight
I have been on Home again but its still the same. …Western Europe, Size 857 Mb, Version 660, This Item needs to be downloaded.

There doesn’t appear to be anything else I can do except to wait for a response from Tomtom.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered map 815 but Home downloaded me map 810 so I am not at all happy and reported it to TomTom
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I have had a response from Tomtom but unfortunately it was next to useless. They advised me on how to backup, how to download and how to reinstall Home. But as for explaining why I only get the option to download Map v660 instead of Map v 815 they failed to answer.
I have an awful feeling that I’m not going to get anywhere with this puzzle.

There was one interesting point about there response and that is that their Backup advise concerned using Windows backup with no mention of their own Backup facility. Perhaps they have seen the light.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor,

I am having problems getting the 815 maps, the only difference is I dont get offered 660 maps.I am waiting for the response from TTS as well.

A bit peeved that you at least get offered 660 maps though...Laughing Out Loud

BTW I signed up for the update service as well.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dave
I know that I may appear a coward but I feel better knowing that there is someone else in the same boat as myself.
In my latest attempt (I’ve had scores of attempts) on home this morning it had the audacity to invite me to join the Map Update Scheme, told me how old my current map is and how much it would cost me to join.

Yes, Home obviously doesn’t seem to know I’m already in the Map Update Scheme.
Why? Well, I have had one idea. On 3rd October I had to replace my computer and I changed Broadband Providers too. This of course meant that my wife (I was away at the time) had to install ‘Home’ on to my new machine. I have been wondering if she unintentionally opened a new account instead of entering the old details. Its possible, but I suppose I am clutching at straws.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor,

I had similar feelings when posting this problem in the "map update 815 out today" thread.

I get the same offer to join the update service, but this time its just over £5 cheaper wtf Laughing Out Loud.

As for the PC upgrade theory, I have the same as when I joined, so in my case that does not scam.

Still waitng for a response from TTS after the initial delete TTH download folders. I sent a nudge mail saturday to let them know I aint going away, still nowt today though.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried TTH update again still nothing. But now I have the mapshare corrections box in Home telling me my map is out of date and I can uprade from as little as 8.85/QTR...grrrrr
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi D4VE
Yes, yes, yes. I have had that little box asking me if I would like to upgrade. Why do they make life so difficult.

I have just sent them another email but I must admit that I’m not very optimistic. If I could turn the clock back I most certainly would never have joined the map update scheme. However, its too late to cry over spilt milk.

Lets keep hoping.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor, if it helps clear the fog a bit with TomTom, I would IGNORE the fact Home is offering the v660 map - that is a completely separate issue.
Home started offering ancient maps to people once before. For me it was a v6 UK map I'd bought for a previous machine (but on the same account name). After a LONG time, they sorted something at their end and it stopped being offered. Since Home v2.4 it has started offering it again. I just try to ignore it.

Concentrate on the fact you aren't being offered the latest map, so your subscription simply isn't working, so TomTOm OWE you!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P
Yes, you are quite right, they do owe me. Unfortunately I am away from home for a few days and although I can email I cant make phone calls until I return. I will send them another email now and stir things up a bit.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A copy of my mail with TTS.

Self explanatory, although I wasnt holding out any hope as I am sure it is a problem with my details not upto date on their servers.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is 081111-009101.

The map update service cost is based upon which map you have installed, it will be cheaper if for instance the map you have installed was the last one released, compared to a release that maybe is 1 quarter old. This is why the service is being offered cheaper to you know, because the map you have installed now is more recent compared to the map you original had installed when you initially purchased the service.

If its the case you are not being offered the latest 8.15 map, most probably its because the service can detect you have already a v8 map installed. Please remove any listings for your current map from your TomTom device and from the your computer and check for updates again.

We also recommend before checking for updates after removing the existing map from your computer and from your TomTom device, you rename the current folder on your computer: The folder is named TomTom which can be found in My Documents. Please rename it to TomTom01 and restart your computer.

If the map is removed from your device and from your computer along with renaming this folder, the latest 8.15 version should appear for download.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

My response :

Hi Tim,

I have done as requested.

Before I did that I checked for updates and was offered GPSQuickfix and MapShare Updates only no new 815 maps.

After removing the map from my device and the computer and renaming the folder in My Documents, I was only offered GPSQuickfix. Also when I check for maps in TomTomHome whereas before I was offered to join the update scheme, this time I wasnt, and when checking available maps it was only at £69.95 (not free).

I did go as far as purchasing, but stopped at the confirmation of order, in case it was recognised I was a member of the update scheme and still no joy.

I would appreciate it if you could check my account to make sure I did not inadvertently purchase another map.

Regards

Dave Adams
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: