Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question about IQ routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about IQ routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Question about IQ routes Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, very rare poster so apologies if this has been answered before and I've missed it...

As I understand it, the new IQ routes on the x40 series alters the timings on a road depending on day of the week and also time of day. What I want to know is 'is this a dynamic calculation'? I should explain more fully...

You start a journey at 3pm. It is a 50 mile journey, A roads, and the IQ routes tells you it will take 1 hour exactly (for the sake of keeping the roads simple). The last section of this road is a 10 mile stretch that is clear all day but evil at rush hour. The only alternative route is during these last 10 miles, which is a slower drive but a better bet at rush hour. IQ routes has figured that you'll be home by 4 so it thinks it routes you the 'direct' way as you'll miss the rush hour traffic.

You get held up in traffic on the early part of the journey; there is no alternative route, so you stay on the same straight road. Knock on effect of this is that you hit the 'decision' point at 4.20pm.

As you have not re-routed at all during the journey, does IQ routes now have the sense to send you the alternative way? In other words, does it constantly re-evaluate the route as you drive due to the time shift or will it not re-calculate unless you tell it to / you actually deviate from the main route? Does it stick with the initial plan?

Your ideas gratefully received. I like to understand what I'm getting Smile

Gary
hope68
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

yes, it's a dynamic routing.

Your device informs you that it found a better route and asks if you wanna take this route (if you have activated this in the settings-menue).

Hope this helps.

cu Peter
Gary_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for the swift reply; it's a busy forum here with 30+ looks inside an hour of posting....

I wonder how often it looks at the route again? Not that I need to know, but it's interesting.

Whatever happens, I'm currently still using an ancient PDA version (TomTom 5) with maps that are 4 years out of date. I'm rather tired of it telling me that I'm driving across a field when I'm clearly on tarmac, so I'm very much looking forward to an upgrade which I desperately need. It's amazing that I still get there....

My IQ routes question was relevant to this morning's drive as my ancient PDA told me to go down a road which I knew would take 25 mins for a 3 mile stretch as it always does. My country route alternative cut the overall journey time in half. The local knowledge that IQ routes should (in theory) bring to the party is a feature that I'm really looking forward to.

Gary

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: