Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taylorapuk wrote:
I seemed to have stumbled on the circumstance that causes the stuttering problem (or at least makes it more likely to happen) on my 920T .etc...etc

Wacky!

Can yo give us the Lat/Long coordinates of the start and end of the demo, so we can all try it?
Malouff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taylorapuk wrote:
I have found a particular section of road that I can reliable cause stuttering in the Demo mode.
This has allowed me to experiment and it 100% reliably stutters on this test *only* when the unit is Charging.
Would you mind sharing this route so others can test it.

I am also assuming that you are using the demo mode on the unit and not the emulator on home to try this route.
taylorapuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

Plan a route from the roundabout on the A14 J52 (N52 05.145, E1 06.861)
to "City Centre" of Stowmarket. Run the demo (on the unit not Home) at 100% speed.

It should take you over the roundabout on onto the A14 sliproad
as as you are about to come onto the A14 it says something like "Follow A1156 A14 J52 towards Stowmarket ...".

When my unit says its "Charging" it *always* seems to stutter when it tries to say that sentence. But when it doesn't say "Charging" it *always* seems to be OK.
plimo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the latest reply I have recieved from TT support...

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is 090213-002871.

The emulator is now working with the application 8.301.

The computer voices on some GO x20 / x30 devices with a 8.300 application can be missing or faulty. Unfortunately on your device you told me you had the latest map 8.15 and the only application version we can send out is the 8.010, but with this application your device would show the message " No Map Found"

We are currently working on a solution to this challenge. This solution will be offered to you with the next application update on TomTom Home.

In the meantime, we advise you to use a standard voice.

To select a standard voice, please tap on Voice preferences, then Change voice.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So according to that the next update should fix this problem... Rolling Eyes
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I NEVER connected my charger in the car - at least not until the battery cried help - and I got stuttering on long sequences (eg large complex roundabouts) on 8.300 using 7.25 and later using 8.15.

Still think it's inefficient code that gets "behind" when there is a lot happening: in Demo mode there is less happening so it's surprising that it stutters (although I have seen mine do that too)! And it seems even more surprising that the charging process puts a load on any part of the SOFTWARE app.

All I can think of is that this is NOT a memory or garbage collection problem (as surfaced when others reported memory not freed when options turned back off, implying no real shortage of memory). I'd then assumed a memory loop taking too long. But the charging state wouldn't (couldn't?) cause that.

So it has to be a problem in the interrupt handling, as previously suggested by someone here. The software would have to monitor some sort of charging state interrupt: still charging, still need to charge, or similar. Interrupt handler must be too slow to deal with all the (new for 8.3x) interrupts.

This might make some sense. All the new software things (IG, lanes, etc.) were probably coded by different teams, and tested separately. So each would appear to be fine, and no programmer would look at the interrupt routine, 'cos his single addition wouldn't "break the camel's back" - on its own!

But the 8.320 version that doesn't stutter anywhere near as badly was written to support the new hardware that fleet uses (300 or something), so *that* programmer would have had to be concerned with the interrupt handler at some point to service the h/w.

If this theory has validity, I'd bet (based on a career of s/w & h/w testing) that TT test with the most complete set of kit, ie. they most rigorously test on 8.320 as that tests more stuff, then do a cursory test of 8.300 build 'cos it "all works on the fleet system" - forgetting entirely that it uses a different path/code for interrupt handling, so missed the stuttering on 8.300 on standard x20/x30. Possible???
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Voice problem after 8.3 on 720 Reply with quote

It may be that the problem is not serious when the battery is fully charged... I have been running 8.301 (with Kate V7) on a fast SD card on my 720 with no problems so far - but the battery is usually already fully charged when my 720 is plugged into the car charger.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically I was going to report a finding related to battery and stutter too.

On a regular trip to London from North Yorks I set off as usual. All settings as normal and traffic active with PAYG phone on bluetooth. All fine albeit with the odd stutter on longer commands.

After about 40 miles I had increased stutter and did a reset. No change. Then I noticed the device began to dim drastically when voice commands were issued up to a point where I completely lost the voice. No commands at all and no sound. Several reboots later (how safe is it when you're on the M1!) I also noticed I could hardly see the screen at times and even if I went into the settings and deselected the auto-dim and set brightness to full it was still hard to see. It was as if my device had ground to a halt and run out of steam.

I just ignored it after that for fear of running into a barrier. About 50 miles from London I stopped off for a health food intake (KFC with Pepsi) and noticed that I had knocked the usually rock solid power supply out of the ciggie lighter enough to disconnect it but hadn't noticed that the charge light wasn't on.

On reconnection and a reboot it ran much more smoothly and only stuttered occasionally.

Is it possible that the recent Navcore releases lead the device to guzzle too much power for the device's PSU? I'm not sure of variances between internal components but it's possible that components differ between versions and batches of versions.

To add some weight to the theory, we have some inconsistencies between seemingly identical models. Perhaps this is because the 12V supplies vary between cars. To support this, my wifes beemer 525i seems to deliver somewhat weedy power from the ciggie socket and I've had issues with non charging PDAs, BlackBerries etc in her car when I can take the same setup immediatley to my Zafira and it powers with identical hardware. The ciggie lighter charge light is on in the BMW but for example my Orange M5000 PDA struggles to charge in her car but never did in mine.

All the above is speculation with a little latteral thinking but feel free to disprove me. I won't cry. Anything that might accelerate the process has to worth a shot in the dark methinks.

BTW how much do we get as unofficial testers for TT?
Holux GPSslim
taylorapuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To add some weight to the theory, we have some inconsistencies between seemingly identical models. Perhaps this is because the 12V supplies vary between cars.

Funny you should say that. I didn't realise it was important at the time but I should have added a detail about my previous experiments with the charging/stuttering:
They were done while charging in the USB cradle.

I actually took my unit out on the road today and I noticed that while charging from the car lighter socket the unit did still say it was "Charging" even when I had the brightness at 100% so maybe it is able to supply enough current to both charge the battery and power the screen at 100%, while the current from a USB socket is limited enough that it cannot do both together.
So it does seem that the characteristics of the power supply and the power the unit is consuming (e.g. how bright the screen is) does effect if the unit says it's "Charging" or not.
So couple this with the fact that my Demo based experiments showed that the stuttering was effected by whether the unit was "Charging" or not, this might explain why some people see the problem and other do not.

Quote:
Is it possible that the recent Navcore releases lead the device to guzzle too much power for the device's PSU?

Well sort of, but I think it's a bit more complex (remember the 940 has the same CPU and my unit can be made *not* to stutter in my experiment). But here's a theory ...

I suspect if the current supplied is below a certain threshold the charging circuit cuts itself off to ensure enough is available for the screen and processor. But maybe on some x20 units this threshold is slightly too high?
Maybe you can supply it enough current not to trip the turning off of the charging circuit, but *not* enough to charge, light the screen *and* still supply enough to the CPU for it's needs when doing lots of computation (I've no idea of the CPU achitecture of a TomTom, but it's not uncommon for CPUs particulary in battery powered devices to vary their power consumption based on the workload they have).
In fact the reason I started playing with the brightness in the first place was I noticed that just prior to the stutter occuring the screen brightness would varyt on its own accord, again suggesting that the unit was struggling to aportion it's power across everything it was trying to do.

Quote:
I NEVER connected my charger in the car - at least not until the battery cried help - and I got stuttering on long sequences

I never claimed my experiments showed the *only* cause of the problem.
I think I am right in thinking others have noticed that it happens with low batteries. But this may again be because there is not enough juice to power the CPU needs.

So my current (if you excuse the pun) theory is that it's not the CPU that's lacking at all, but the ability to supply it with enough power sometimes.
The 940s don't exhibit the issue, yet they have the same CPU, but maybe they have an imporved (aka fixed) power circuit. If ths is the cause it would explain why it's not been solved by a simple software upgrade yet!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:

BTW how much do we get as unofficial testers for TT?

Exactly the same as the official ones do! Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="taylorapuk"]
Quote:
while charging from the car lighter socket the unit did still say it was "Charging" even when I had the brightness at 100% so maybe it is able to supply enough current to both charge the battery and power the screen at 100%, while the current from a USB socket is limited enough that it cannot do both together.

That is entirely true!
The car charger/cigarette lighter adapter can supply at least an amp or more of charging current, but USB sockets are supposed to be limited to a maximum of 500mA (by design). Many can actually manage a bit more, but still not as much as the car adapter.

This means a TT will charge much more slowly on a PC connection and as an aside, you can have problems powering some of those USB powered PC hard-drives too. My Western Digital one pulls about 700mA on spin-up. One of my PCs can manage to supply it, but the other one can't and I have to use a special lead with TWO USB plugs on it.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This theory could be tested with a powered USB hub?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not neccessarily...
The USB specification actually forces devices to only "ask" for power in 100mA steps, up to a maximum of 500mA.

Ironically the better designed your PC or hub is, the more likely it is to strictly adhere to the spec!

(Wikipaedia article HERE. See the two sections near the bottom, just below "USB Cables")
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a good idea Overclock the tomtom Very Happy we could have a CPUZ tomtom style, or even a watercooled tomtom ..

Very Happy
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have now issued App 8.302, I can't wait ttttoo sssee if it is cure.......d Laughing

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Passionpantz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i will stick with what i got, until it gets the thumbs up on here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 46 of 49

Jump to: