Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing TomTom Speed Camera database on new TomTom 730T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing TomTom Speed Camera database on new TomTom 730T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norfolkman47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Replacing TomTom Speed Camera database on new TomTom 730T Reply with quote

REPLACING TOMTOM SPEED CAMERAS WITH POCKET GPS WORLD ONE!!

Hi All,

I am upgrading my old TomTom Go 500 to a TomTom Go 730T. As I also subscribe to the Speed Camera Database on this website I would prefer to use this on my new TomTom. (I understand that the new TomTom 730T will come with a pre-installed "TomTom Speed Camera Database").

How do I install the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database onto the new TomTom 730T?

Do I need to un-install TomToms own Speed Camera Database first?

I would appreciate if someone could talk me through the procedure, step-by-step!

(I used to update my old TomTom Go 500 speed cameras using the copy and paste method on my PC - pasting the OV2 files)

Many thanks for your help

Terry - Norfolkman47
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Back up your new TomTom using Windows Explorer before you do anything else.
2. Go to the TomTom branch of this forum and read the Sticky thread on TomTom FAQs.
3. You'll find all the information you need in there.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installation guide can be found here.
norfolkman47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daggers for your reply but:-

I asked in my message" I would appreciate if someone could talk me through the procedure, step-by-step! "

As I am new to the forum I emphasised the quote above.

I really am very in-experienced in these matters and need step-by-step instructions - but being directed somewhere else in this Forum Labrynth is really of no help.

Thanks again

regards,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see you have been a subscriber for some time and have downloaded on many occasions previously. The procedure to install our database has not changed?

To disable the TomTom cameras on your 720:

Tap Screen

Tap Next Page Twice

Select TomTom Services

Select TomTom Safety Cameras

Select Disable alerts

Last edited by Darren on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
norfolkman47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren - yes I am able to update on my OLD TomTom Go 500 without any problem. I download the OV2 files unzip, then paste them into my TomTom in Windows Explorer on my PC.

My query was: Do I need to uninstall the TOMTOM Speed cameras first, if so ,how?

You tell me to disable them - will I still have room then for Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database? OR do I overwrite the TOMTOM Cameras? (The new TomTom 730T has a 2Gb SD card I think.)

Also I understand that my new TomTom needs to be backed up first - I take it that I can do this using TomTom Home on my PC?

Sorry to be so thick but I really need to understand how to do this!

Thanks, Terry (Norfolkman47)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norfolkman47 wrote:
Thanks Darren - yes I am able to update on my OLD TomTom Go 500 without any problem. I download the OV2 files unzip, then paste them into my TomTom in Windows Explorer on my PC.

The process is identical on the 730
Quote:
My query was: Do I need to uninstall the TOMTOM Speed cameras first, if so ,how?

You tell me to disable them - will I still have room then for Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database? OR do I overwrite the TOMTOM Cameras? (The new TomTom 730T has a 2Gb SD card I think.)

You don't need to uninstall, there should be sufficient room for both but it is best to disable them to prevent confusing multiple alerts.

Our files will not overwrite TomToms as they have different file names.
Quote:
Also I understand that my new TomTom needs to be backed up first - I take it that I can do this using TomTom Home on my PC?

We recommend you do not rely on Tomtom's HOME application for backups. It has been proved many time to be unreliable.

The FAQ suggested earlier and linked here is a useful resource, item #1 is a guide to backing up. Item #13 explains how to remove TomToms Camera Warning files if you prefer to rather delete rather than disable.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 730T does NOT have a 2GB SD card, it has 2GB internal storage - a flash disk, for which you can think of being the same as the hard disk on your PC. It does have slot for SD card for additional storage if/when needed - note that it'll probably come with a blank piece of plastic in the slot.

If you can't be bothered to read the FAQs, then you'll miss a lot of mega useful information. However, you can do a backup easily enough by doing the same as installing the cameras - simply create a new folder on your PC called 730backup 2008-11-19 (or whatever date you do it), then copy and paste EVERYTHING from your 730 to that folder. But please do read the FAQs - amongst other things, they'll advise you to do fresh backups every time you are about to make changes on your 730.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: