Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
(Sorry, this was the best attempt at adding pictures I could come up with.)

In Photobucket when you've got your picture showing, there's a box entitled Image link code with four entries. The bottom one is "IMG Code - Forums and Bulletin Boards". Click on that and it will copy to clipboard. Back in your post, at the relevant place, paste that in (press Ctrl V) and hey presto you'll get the picture in your post. HOWEVER, I just did that for you and found that the pictures were far too big for the webpage (maximum 450pixels wide). So how did you get your screen shots? Are they photos? If so, you need to resize them. If you do screen shots the way I do, directly on the device, change them to JPG and then they can be uploaded to Photobucket untouched, because they are just the right size ...

How to do Screenshots (This is for the GOx20 devices, I'm sure it'll be OK for x40s, but before you do it, get a Windows Explorer backup in case it goes pear-shaped).

1. Using Win Explorer, create a folder on your device called Screen.
2. Using Notepad, open a new file and immediately save it without typing anything - Save filename as capture.
3. Using Win Explorer, delete the .txt suffix to that file called capture (W.E. will grumble, but let it!).
4. Using Win Explorer, copy that empty file called capture into the new Screen folder.

Now, to get a screenshot, press the top left corner of your device - where the plus sign is and you'll hear the most satisfying camera click noise and you've got a .BMP picture saved in the Screen folder, which you can take out and change to .JPG and then upload to Photobucket. It allocates an incredibly coded filename to the screen dump! You can do as many as you like (probably limited by disk space of course).

One problem - this disables the + button on screen, so you can't use + to zoom in on your screen map. I never use that button anyway, so it doesn't bother me. Another problem is that occasionally when using hands free phone, that location is close to the button to tap to end the call, so I often get screenshots I don't need! Small price to pay.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some comparisons of HD to GPRS

HD on a 540 GPRS on a 520 realtime both updating

I have posted links to the images rather than the images, as they are larger than the allowed size, but need to be so you can see the details.

In each photo the HD unit is at the top of the picture.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/flashyphotos/compare1.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/flashyphotos/compare2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/flashyphotos/compare3.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/flashyphotos/compare4.jpg

Seems HD is ignoring Roadworks etc unless there is specific data of delays in them, where GPRS reports them anyway so you can make an informed choice on avoiding them.
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my patience was put to the test today - accident on the A14.

Journey took 2 hours, as opposed to 1.

I took an alternative route when I got bored of the traffic (which was reported, after I hit it) - however I shot myself in the foot by taking a wrong route - hoping it would be clear but ended up costing myself a good 40 minutes as a result, as it wasn't displayed on the nav.

Mixed results. I know it can't know the traffic situation on every road ever, but I would have thought they could at least earmark regularly busy junctions and routes.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos

Thanks for posting the comparisons, for me at least, I will stick with the GPRS Traffic.
GO 920 Dead
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:

Seems HD is ignoring Roadworks etc unless there is specific data of delays in them, where GPRS reports them anyway so you can make an informed choice on avoiding them.

This is exactly what I'm finding too. I've just turned on my 730 with GPRS traffic and it is telling me of several sites of roadworks, lane restrictions, contraflows etc. all across central Scotland. Switched on my 540. Not showing a single thing.

I've taken a few more shots today and the contrast is quit surprising. The screenshots with the blue traffic icon is the HD Traffic info, the screenshots with the green traffic icon is the GPRS traffic info.

[img].photobucket.com/albums/kk119/Graeme2812/TomTom/dump328215857.jpg[/img]

These next two are the ones I find most surprising of all. When I go onto trafficscotland, I'm told of several of the incidents that GPRS is reporting, yet HDT is not. Confused

Is anybody else finding this? Have they set the filter triggers way to high so not to display roadworks, accidents etc with HD traffic?
Are they [TomTom] now just relying solely on the information being feed back to them from vodafone, and filtering out the other sources for which GPRS is relying on? (despite them saying the vodafone info was to compliment the current sources they recieve)

DennisN: thanks for the screen grab technique!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174

Last edited by Graeme2812 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Floriank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: HD vs TMC Reply with quote

Had mixed results with my 940 vs the TMC enabled DVD GPS built into a pool car I used yesterday.

I hit a small jam leading up to a roundabout on the A27, which was reported accurately on the HD system (even the length of the queue was almost to the nearest meter!). Delay was maybe a couple of minutes - pretty impressive. And nothing reported on the TMC system, of course and as expected.

On the return journey during evening rush hour I was delayed by nearly 50 minutes in stop-start and extrememly slow moving traffic along the A27 via Shorham, Worthing and Arundel - not a SINGLE notification on HD - perfect and accurate warnings on TMC though!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, delays should ALWAYS be reported, whether they are a daily event on a route or an exception due to an accident, etc. Otherwise, if you drive in an area unfamiliar to you, how should you know that it's always congested at certain times?

A mixed bag then, but I'd rather know about major hold-ups than minor blips. I just hope the HD system is still in development and it's early days, as otherwise it may just be another TomTom marketing gimmick.

Florian
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: HD vs TMC Reply with quote

Floriank wrote:
Otherwise, if you drive in an area unfamiliar to you, how should you know that it's always congested at certain times?

I Q Routes

(Although, I do agree it would be nice if this was bought to our attention that our 60mph road is only moving at 15 - even if this is normal for 5.47 on a Tuesday)
Floriank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HD vs TMC Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Floriank wrote:
Otherwise, if you drive in an area unfamiliar to you, how should you know that it's always congested at certain times?

I Q Routes

(Although, I do agree it would be nice if this was bought to our attention that our 60mph road is only moving at 15 - even if this is normal for 5.47 on a Tuesday)

Ok, so if I should rely on IQ routing to save me sitting in traffic for 50mins, why did the 940 route me right through the heavily congested area? Shouldn't IQ avoid this very thing and route me around this normally most direct and obvious route?

Also, the ETA was constantly amended as I was sitting in the jam, slipping later and later. Surely, if IQ Royes was aware that there is a daily jam on that specific route at that specific time, shouldn't it have reported a total journey time of 3 hours for the journey and not 2 hrs as it did initially when I planned the trip at 16.00hrs. It should know that this trip will go though a daily concested route and allow for this in my ETA.

Either HD should report a jam or IQ should show longer than normally expected journey time for that time of day or indeed re-route me from the beginning.

Neither happened, hence my surprise

Florian
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HD vs TMC Reply with quote

Floriank wrote:
Either HD should report a jam or IQ should show longer than normally expected journey time for that time of day or indeed re-route me from the beginning.

Neither happened, hence my surprise

Ahh, yes, at least one of them should be aware of it - I didn't realise that you thought IQ Routes was wrong too.

I'm beginning to think that the HD Traffic info is not as fully up and running as they would have you believe.

I saw that they had a coverage map in one of the videos from the press launch, indicating large blotches of the country which were not fully covered. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Perhaps Darren or one of the PGPS bods could find out more / post a copy of the map. Idea
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
I've taken a few more shots today and the contrast is quit surprising. The screenshots with the blue traffic icon is the HD Traffic info, the screenshots with the green traffic icon is the GPRS traffic info.

Are you sure you have these the right way round? I only ask, because the green one seems to cover non-Motorway roads, which unless I'm mistaken is a feature only of HD Traffic - Indeed, I thought that one of the main selling points of HD Traffic is that it covers more than just motorways!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the accuracy is going to pick up before we start paying for HD traffic! The differences between the low-D and HD are interesting, but perhaps explained by the low quality of the standard traffic which seems to hang onto delays far too long. I have at times watched the traffic England site and it too holds on for ages. It looks like TomTom have removed those sources completely, where perhaps they should really add them and time them out earlier?

I note that they mentioned TrafficMaster in the demos - surely that should give decent reliability too? I've always thought I'd be happy to pay more for top quality info, but it has to be reliable otherwise you can't trust it.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:

Are you sure you have these the right way round? I only ask, because the green one seems to cover non-Motorway roads, which unless I'm mistaken is a feature only of HD Traffic - Indeed, I thought that one of the main selling points of HD Traffic is that it covers more than just motorways!

I only have GPRS for my traffic and it has always been a green Icon

GO 920 Dead

Last edited by Mick_1959 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Graeme2812 wrote:
I've taken a few more shots today and the contrast is quit surprising. The screen shots with the blue traffic icon is the HD Traffic info, the screen shots with the green traffic icon is the GPRS traffic info.

This is what I can't get my head around either Guinness2702, there simply screen grabs and the pictures haven't been edited (other than location co-ordinates) honest! Smile

UPDATE: Live services now stooped working. Called customer services and it has now been escalated to the next level of tec. support. Tried a soft and hard reboot, neither worked. At the same time I commented on how the GPRS service was giving me more info than the HD service, to which he replayed this should not be the case. The HD service should be more informative than the GPRS so I'm not so sure it [HDT] is fully functioning yet.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here

HD went down about 11am

First got a message that my subscription had expired, after a reeboot and reentering account email got all other HD services back except for traffic.

So not a good start in my eyes, left the old machiner at home for (MrsF) to use today, so now stuck without any traffic updates till they put more coal in the furnace and fire up the HD Server,

SO Day one with new device not good, if its no better in next few days will sling it back at supplier and revert to 720 and GPRS
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
UPDATE: Live services now stooped working.

Interesting - I've just turned mine on, and am now seeing the caution/triangle icon for traffic, and message "Unable to connect to server" where it was all fine this morning.

Just followed that with a powercycle, and it has sat there for several minutes saying "retrieving traffic information" and nothing else....spoke too soon, it's just gone to "Unable to connect to server"

Is there some problem at the TT end with their servers?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: