Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried factory reset and still no Traffic just the Triangle any ideas.
iN services it show Trial running in route planned still Yellow Triangle.

I have spoke to TomTom about this but still waiting
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I've been surprisingly very impressed with the HD traffic. It seems to be really quite accurate and much quicker to report problems than the old traffic. I was recently heading north on the M6 from Stoke and the traffic seemed a bit slow at J16 entrance, so I took a back route instead. Traffic was reporting a 3min delay. Sure enough, when I crossed the M6 further up it was flowing normally. Perhaps I should be more trusting, though have had my fingers burned too many times in the past.

Have also been impressed with the fuel prices and google search. Was looking for a pub I'd never heard of in Staffordshire and it took me right to the door.
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not bothered with TomTom's speed camera alerts though, stick with the tried and tested! Wink
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have experienced difficulties as described with the yellow triangle:!: following entering my account details into my Go 540. I have done a full reset, & rolled back to 8.203, and re-entered my details. I still can't get it. I've sent a support email to tomtom.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was interesting to note HD traffic reporting delays on a minor (B556) road the other day which is not a busy through route and was only busy because the M25 was blocked.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was interesting to note HD traffic reporting delays on a minor (B556) road the other day which is not a busy through route and was only busy because the M25 was blocked.

I am beginning to wonder whether the reporting of jams on lesser roads depends upon how many people with an active Vodafone mobile (or x40 Live) need to be stuck in a jam before it is reported.

There is a short section of road near me which jams up every weekday morning for a mile or so. Some mornings it is reported and other mornings it is not. It is difficult to understand why unless it's for the reason stated above......

of course if somebody else has a theory.....
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:

of course if somebody else has a theory.....

Personally, I think it's more to do with TomTom not tracking as many voda SIMS or areas right now as they'd like you to believe.

I'm sure they'll say they have the ability to anonymously track every voda SIM. Whether they actually do, is another question.

Until the number of subscriptions for the LIVE services increase to pay for these services provided by Voda, I can't see the information being as accurate as were all expecting.

Perhaps I'm just cynical.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
I'm sure they'll say they have the ability to anonymously track every voda SIM. Whether they actually do, is another question.

Until the number of subscriptions for the LIVE services increase to pay for these services provided by Voda, I can't see the information being as accurate as were all expecting.

Perhaps I'm just cynical.

I would imagine that any contract between TT and VF is fixed, or only varies per LIVE subscriber. I doubt that they have a per phone tracked kind of model - the costs of gathering the data should be fairly fixed, once the software is written, it's written.

I can only assume (based on the fact that the coverage varies) that the software to do this is installed at the base station, and that there is some cost towards sending an engineer out to install the thing (assuming that it can't be done remotely, which would still have a cost associated with it) - but really, there's no other explanation for why coverage varies. Cost of gathering the data should be tiny compared to the revenues - I would guess that the coverage problem is just an issue of the physical capability of VF to install the software.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I think it's more to do with TomTom not tracking as many voda SIMS or areas right now as they'd like you to believe.

Graeme, I think you may have missed my point

The fact is that this road is obviously covered or else it would never report any hold ups.

The issue is that this reporting is intermittent i.e the road is always jammed Monday to Friday in rush hour but only reported occasionally....
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight driving up the A34 towards the A303 turning the traffic suddenly ground to a halt due to an accident right in front of me. Within a minute a 2 minute delay came up on the live traffic. It stated the build up was 325yards when it was actually nearer a mile and it took 5 minutes to get through rather than 2 minutes. But I must say I was impressed how quickly the info appeared on my tomtom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: