Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Converting "MapSettings.cfg" file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting "MapSettings.cfg" file
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
jurowla wrote:

From my backup (which you have of course!) I copied my old mapsettings.cfg file and (after saving the new mapsettings.cfg to my desktop) pasted it into the WE map folder.

Doing this will cause the famous "Looping" scenario so I opened up Home and using "Operate My Device" function I saved a random POI to "Add to Favourites" which effectively re wrote the mapsettings.cfg file into an acceptable format.

Disconnected the TT and Voila! all the old settings back in-place. If this does not work for you just put the saved mapsettings.cfg file from the new download back into the map folder.

This saved me having to reset all the camera warnings and kept my Favourites as well.

Brilliant - a total headache saver! Thumbs Up

I second that, well done that man, a brilliant discovery,

Thanks,

SDM197.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to give this a try (well done mate!) because it's one of my major bugbears. Still makes you wonder why someone at Tom Tom who actually understands the diffences couldn't do this but hey....don't get me started....I'm starting to bore myself :D
Holux GPSslim
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurowla wrote:

From my backup (which you have of course!) I copied my old mapsettings.cfg file and (after saving the new mapsettings.cfg to my desktop) pasted it into the WE map folder.

Doing this will cause the famous "Looping" scenario so I opened up Home and using "Operate My Device" function I saved a random POI to "Add to Favourites" which effectively re wrote the mapsettings.cfg file into an acceptable format.

Disconnected the TT and Voila! all the old settings back in-place. If this does not work for you just put the saved mapsettings.cfg file from the new download back into the map folder.

This saved me having to reset all the camera warnings and kept my Favourites as well.

Worked for me too. Had to do a lengthy search to find this post though. Forgot I was in it or it would have found it more quickly!

If this works for the majority is it worth making it a sticky or put it in the FAQ? If the answer is yes then it might be worth clarifyng how to save a random POI using add favourites. This might be the part where it fails for some. I think I did it via browse map, find POI then saved as a favourite.
Holux GPSslim
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Mapsetting file Reply with quote

Yes, this is a brialliant idea...though it does not work for me as "operate my device" and "..backup" are greyd out on my device. Maps/App latest.

Spoke to TT who gave me a lengthy proceduer, which would, on the next contact with them, include "remove cutom pois, pgpsw cameras, etc (they had done it previously too)" which I don't want to do again so I am not listening to tt advice.

ratom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mapsetting file Reply with quote

RATOM wrote:

Spoke to TT who gave me a lengthy proceduer, which would, on the next contact with them, include "remove cutom pois, pgpsw cameras, etc (they had done it previously too)" which I don't want to do again so I am not listening to tt advice.

ratom

Unfortunately, you can't fix things without making changes!

Sounds like they've just asked you to perform a "Return to factory settings". This does cure quite a few problems, but obviously does what it says.
If you have a good backup before you do it, it only takes a few minutes to put back the specific items you want and to reset any alerts you had.
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Strange isnt't it? Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P
thanks for your advice but there is a more serious problem. I recently purchased TT Traffic (about 30 pounds). Now it works OK on my GO 720 IF I am using App 8.350 (9980/090427) OS:310360
GPS v1.20, Boot5.5120 and Map: western_Europe v830.2305 (and RDS is ALSO working)

But with it when I use tt home 2.6 something, "operate my device" and "backup" options are GREYD OUT.

When I spoke to TT I was told some files were corrupted. I then heeded initial part of their advice, and look what happend:

the APP version changed to 8.351, the rest remained the same. "Operate my device and backup" options were NO LONGER greyed out BUT connection betweeen phone and device was permanently lost (no gprs connection was possible, not even after manual settings).

The result was I could not use tt traffic (although RDS workied OK).

The latest position is that phone/device connection has come back but it does not automatically update tt traffice. The earlier version with app 8.350 was doing so. So God knows what is wrong.

I am back to using app 8.350 with operate my device greyed out but tt traffic working and automatically updating.

regards

ratom
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mapsetting file Reply with quote

[/quote]

Unfortunately, you can't fix things without making changes!

[/quote]

Andy, I'm not sure I'm understanding you here but if you're saying that losing the settings is a necessary by product of the upgrade I'd disagree. Why can't the new installer convert existing data to the new format? jurowla did it manually so Home could copy this file, convert it and dump it back where it was.

If that isn't what you're saying then I apologise.
Holux GPSslim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I wasn't meaning that...
All I was trying to say was that a return to factory settings would be worth doing (as it has fixed many "odd" problems) EVEN if it loses all your personal preferences.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah understood! Apologies as promised.
Holux GPSslim
Araseachran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole business of losing favourites is a deal-breaker for me.

I regularly save a bunch of remote work-related places as favourites, then update my maps and they're gone.

Someone in TomTom gave me the workaround of copying my mapsettings.cfg file to a backup folder before updating maps, then adding it back in, but this no longer works.

The business of doing this, then adding a random favourite to change the file hasn't worked either. I'm now once again back to zero with the machine.

I don't think I'd buy a TomTom again, because of this flaw, and because it's so terribly difficult to get tech support.

A company that has a note on its Press page saying something like "don't send support emails here, they will NOT be answered" has huge problems with customer relations.

Anyway, it's probably academic, as Apple is apparently coming into the GPS arena, and Apple's software is wonderfully user-friendly. Pity, really - I like the TomTom, if only its software makers weren't such kludgers.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Araseachran wrote:
A company that has a note on its Press page saying something like "don't send support emails here, they will NOT be answered" has huge problems with customer relations.

Isn't that because the Press department are NOT tech support?

iPhone 12
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Araseachran wrote
Quote:
I regularly save a bunch of remote work-related places as favourites, then update my maps and they're gone.
It's much better to save them as custom POIs, which can then be transferred beteween maps. I have all my regulars saved as _Fav UK, _Fav France etc (the underscore puts them at the top of the POI list. Sometimes I'll then make favourites of those I'll be using on a trip, but often I don't bother and use "Navigate to POI". I certainly wouldn't change my Tomtom for an inferior brand because of that.
Araseachran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falkirk, of course the press office isn't for tech support - but the fact that TomTom has such a notice (something I've never seen on any other company's website) means that many frustrated users, unable to contact support, must be trying in desperation to contact them through the press office.

Calomax, how do you save a favourite as a custom POI, please? And are the POIs left alone when you download a new map?

I can't use POIEdit to edit the POIs, as I use a Mac; the 'Mac equivalent' turns out to be not equivalent at all, and I can see no way of editing POIs on the Mac.

This all seems terribly awkward, and frankly stupid - bad coding, bad customer relations. Technical devices should be simple, and work, and not need the end user to go fecking around in their coding.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most times I save the location straight as a POI. I don't have my device with me and my memory of all the steps is a bit hazy so I'll so I'll post again when I get home.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Araseachran wrote
Quote:
It's much better to save them as custom POIs, which can then be transferred beteween maps. I have all my regulars saved as _Fav UK, _Fav France etc (the underscore puts them at the top of the POI list. Sometimes I'll then make favourites of those I'll be using on a trip, but often I don't bother and use "Navigate to POI". I certainly wouldn't change my Tomtom for an inferior brand because of that.

But that illustrates the dismal CR performance of Tom Tom. We all know on here that this is going to happen when you update a map. We know to do a Windows Explorer backup etc etc. But does my retired father (who I recommended Tom Tom to) know this? No, he will find out when they are gone. Is there a warning message when installing upgraded maps in Home? No.

From a Customer Relations point of view, introducing an irritating fault to the process right at the time customers have just parted with cash must be the stupidest bit of CR from this lot and once again it runs and runs for years!

Best of a bad bunch? The fact that we are all still here proves that we have yet to find an alternative to Tom Tom but their truly awful performance, half finished features and unfixed annoyances means that an awful lot of us diehards are looking really hard for one! I remember when the phrase best of a bad bunch would NEVER be used for Tom Tom. Bit sad that those days are gone.

My other half has a stupidly expensive factory SatNav in her Beemer. It's basic and lacks features but after 300miles I didn't want to smash it with a lump hammer unlike the bluetooth implementation on my 720 which makes me want to scream! Never thought I'd put up with substandard over irritating but that's where I've arrived now.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: