Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 7.900 software for 910 - RESULT!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

7.900 software for 910 - RESULT!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Can you tell us the complete build number, please?

Thanks Stampy, Oldboy, emjaiuk and matthewj for your replies... much appreciated.

I wonder why emjaiuk's download shows such a different number at the end. I always assumed it was a date code for the release - 081021 being the 21st October 2008 for example.
MickeyM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me why I cannot update my 3 month old Refurbished TomTom 910 to the new 7.900 firmware. At this moment it is 7.161. I try to update it, but TomTom Home 2.4, tells me my unit is up to date, yet there is a ver: 7.162 and now ver: 7.900. Regards Mike.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MickeyM wrote:
Can anyone tell me why I cannot update my 3 month old Refurbished TomTom 910 to the new 7.900 firmware. At this moment it is 7.161. I try to update it, but TomTom Home 2.4, tells me my unit is up to date, yet there is a ver: 7.162 and now ver: 7.900. Regards Mike.

It might be worth trying the steps I detail HERE
With a bit of luck that will break the deadlock, and get you to v7.162 first, then hopefully Home will offer you v8.
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to update my current ongoing support request regarding the TMC issue (goes back nearly a year), but surprisingly the TomTom support website is down for maintenance. Coincidence, or am I just being cynical Rolling Eyes
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: 7.900 (9180/081021) on Tom Tom GO Classic Reply with quote

Following an Explorer backup of my whole SD card I accepted via Tom Tom Home the 7.900 application update for my GO Classic which previously ran on 7.163. Tom Tom Home advised after applying the update to switch off and on the Tom Tom and here is where my troubles have started.

The Tom Tom originally went through a phase of locking up but after a reset it at least now started, albeit not functioning on navigation.

Having seen an other forum page about the MapSettings.cfg file I checked mine, the Explorer backup version and the Tom Tom version are the same 19K size.

I managed by the reset option (pin in back) to get it running eventually again and when selecting Navigate it asked for me to select a country before prompting me for Town and Street. I selected Great Britain, entered a town such as Thatcham and after entering the first character F of the street, Foxglove Road the unit locked up. I have tried this several times now with different towns and street names and the unit locks up each time followed by a screen clear and the tom tom hands being shown.

I've noticed like other users too that all favourites have been lost and all POI are defaulted to show on the map - this in itself is no major matter for me.

I've now also noticed that the MapSettings.cfg file that was previously 19K is now only 3K.

I gather from another forum that simply copying the Explorer MapSettings.cfg backup back to the Tom Tom will not work as Tom Tom have changed the content/structure somehow for the file. Working in IT myself, this does not surprise me.

Any ideas short of a restore?

If I restore, is is safer to delete everything of the SD card and copy back from my Explorer backup or is it recommended to simply copy back from my Explorer backup?

I would log a Tom Tom support issue but their Support page is down for maintenance on the 1st and 2nd November.

Any ideas appreciated.

Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ mike37 - when you switched off did you use Disconnect Safely?

As to a Restore, if you are sure you have a Full Backup, inc Map, then I would delete everything and copy from the Backup.

To try again with 7.900 you can follow the advice given in This reply by AndyP.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

I can confirm I did a safe eject using the "Safely Remove Hardware" option.

I will give the restore option suggested on the link a go first and failing that do the full restore.

I have other backups going back several years to choose from if all else fails.

Mike
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will i get offered the 8 series map for my 510 if i update it to 7.9? This will be the initial update for this unit as i have waited till v8 maps and software are available before switching the unit on for the first time. I have deliberately not turned the unit on yet to try and get a v 8 map with the extra features over v7.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt it, the current map being offered for the x10 devices is the v725, the information on TomTom's web site states the software provides a capability to use the version 815 maps these have not been seen as yet AFAIK the latest map for some devices is v810 for the remaing units it is v725 - Mke
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, maybe i'll hold on a little longer to see what transpires.
Barnesy11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Have GO710, and yesterday updated to 7.900 (9180/081021) OS:2341.
So far, I've lost all my favourites.
Not sure if anything else is missing, but will let you know.
Cheers
Bill Barnes
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnesy11 wrote:
So far, I've lost all my favourites.
Check out This Thread.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Barnesy11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Richard,
Many thanks for that link, it's an excellent guide for anyone who's not real familiar with this sort of thing.
I note that TomTom's website is 'closed for maintenance' at the moment...do you think they could be trying to fix this problem themselves, as we speak?
Do you think I should hang-off on your fix for a few days, and see if they come up with anything themselves?
Not sure how they work. Rolling Eyes
But, anyway, thanks for the work-around, and I have a copy of my previous MapSettings file, and have downloaded POIedit ready to go.
Thanks again, mate.
Bill Barnes
paulday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody been able to download this update with a 910 over the weekend? Home refuses to offer me the download, and when trying to use the workaround above, it offers me 6.585!

Thanks

Paul
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Thanks for your tips.

I tried the advice on the Andy link but this just seemed to go round in circles locking up after selecting a map. First Tom Tom Home offered me to install the 6.52.7690 application and after a further use of Tom Tom Home it offered the 7.900 version. I applied this and ran again the instructions to Restart the device, used safe hardware removal as before.

After unplugging of the USB it showed me the Tom Tom words in white and the 2 red Tom Tom hands graphic, after a pause it showed me a screen asking me to select a map. I selected UK+RoI and after another pause it showed me a mustard yellow type screen with a horizontal mustard yellow scroll bar and then back again to white Tom Tom + 2 red Tom Tom hands.

I never seemed to be able to break out of this cycle.

I now went for the first option, removed everything of the SD card but found some corrupt files in an old map which would not delete, the file names were weird characters and the size shown clearly wrong such as greater than 1Gb. This is all on a 1GB SD card.

I resorted to formatting the SD, copied back by Explorer backup and can now advise the unit is BACK WORKING - WHAT A RELIEF.

That's about as much excitement I can handle in 1 day (having just watched the F1 in Brazil too) so for now I will stick with the tried and trusted 7.163 application and v710.1571 UK+RoI map and pocketgpsworld safety cameras, POIs.

I wonder after all of this if the problem is simply that 7.900 on a GO Classic is simply incompatible with the map version I am running. If this is the case it is a pity that Tom Tom Home offers the application update. I will ask Tom Tom support Monday and report back.

Thanks once again for your advice.
Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: