Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map updates for Tom Tom 920
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map updates for Tom Tom 920

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: map updates for Tom Tom 920 Reply with quote

Every time I switch TomTom Home on, they tell me that map updates are available (at a cost). Is it worth updating maps on a regular basis or is there any alternative? I think Tom Tom should update maps for free to users. I am sorry if this has been asked before but when I put this in "search" it came up with 48000 replies.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is entirely up to you how often you wish to update your map. If you have not seen any errors in the current map then why update it? If there have been significant changes to roads that you use regularly then you may wish to update. Some people wish to have the latest version every time an update is released, this can get expensive.

Note that road changes can take several years to make it into the mapping. If there is a particular road change that you are interested in it would be worth posting details here to find out if it has been incorporated into the latest maps.

It would be nice if Tomtom gave away free maps, it would also be nice if Tesco gave away free food. These companies have to buy the products that they are selling and would quickly dissapear if they could not make a profit.

The only legal source of maps for Tomtom devices is to download from Tomtom using their Home software. They do have an offer where you can download the latest map at a discount (depending on how old your current map is) and then subcribe to 12 months of map updates. This is better value than buying each map when it is released.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: map updates for Tom Tom 920 Reply with quote

theloft wrote:
Every time I switch TomTom Home on, they tell me that map updates are available (at a cost). Is it worth updating maps on a regular basis or is there any alternative?
The offer mentioned by pcaouolte is worth going for in my opinion. The current latest Western & Central Europe map for GO920, v8.10, is priced at £99.95. The offer is to upgrade your map to this latest version, then give you the next 12 months' of updates as well, for a price which depends on how old you present map is. In my case, my map was fairly old (9 months, I think), so for me the total price for the latest map and the next four updates to it was £90.65 - cheaper than the price of one map for five maps - to me, a no-brainer. I think the only people you'll find disagreeing with that are those who are convinced the next 12 months will not show any worthwhile improvements in the maps - that seems unlikely.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to DennisN & pcaouolte for your replies. My 920 was purchased last year and as a pensioner I think that £99.95 to update my TT 920 is really expensive. Yes, it includes 12 months updates, but that is 2/3rds of the original cost of the SatNav. I think they could offer a one off update of selected map areas, say GB & Ireland, for free during the first year, then about £10 per area, after all it is only updates, not completely new mapping.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 920T was December 2007. Yes, £99.95 is a weeks' pension for me too.

I suppose it depends on how much travelling you do - my retirement job is whitevanman, so 60K miles a year justifies updating maps (the satnav replaces a whole boxful, between 20 and 30, A-Zs).

As for free, I wouldn't expect free paper map updates - would you? I don't expect free ink cartridges for my printers either (I long ago went over the top of the price of my printers in replacement cartridges).

Don't get me wrong, I wish you and I could have free map updates, but "you know where" will freeze over before that comes about - it's got to be a significant part of TomTom's income?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well it was "tongue in cheek", but I still think for the first year, they should be free and then allow you to choose an area that you need for a reasonable price.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: