Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Orange Gadgets introduces GPS Receiver for 2G iPhones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Orange Gadgets introduces GPS Receiver for 2G iPhones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Orange Gadgets introduces GPS Receiver for 2G iPhones Reply with quote

Orange Gadgets have introduced the nattily-named iGPS360 GPS receiver for iPhone.

The device, which connects to the iPhone's standard docking connector, is designed to provide GPS capability to the original 2G iPhone and iPod Touch. With much concern expressed over the iPhone 3G's GPS implementation, it might also deliver benefits to those whose device already has GPS capability.

There's a blog Here in which the device's creator has detailed the development process.

The device will support software developments from Swiss-hosted X-Waves, who are partnering as software developer to Orange Gadget's hardware provision.

The iGPS360 can be pre-ordered for $75 (approx £44) from the US-based Orange Gadgets store. It is likely to be available in Europe from X-Waves in due course.

Note that the iGPS360 will require a jailbroken iPhone/Touch. And software to take advantage of the device. At this time it is unclear if the GPS signal will be available to any application designed to utilise Apple's own GPS receiver. It is suggested that it will function with Google Maps.

How iPod Touch owners are meant to take advantage of GPS-assisted mapping unless there's a constant WiFi signal remains to be seen.[/i]
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great addon. Now the entire Apple range has GPS capabilities, without a fully functional routing solution Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, chicken before the egg rather! This is the GPS whose dvelopement I had been following here.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Indeed, chicken before the egg rather! This is the GPS whose dvelopement I had been following here.
I could have sworn I linked there in my original post! Wink

It's all getting very frustrating...

• Car - check
• GPS-enabled iPhone - check
• Ability to locate nearest things of interest - check
• Application to warn and register speed cameras - check (but it isn't PGPSW, so isn't as good as it could be!)
• Application to advise of petrol prices nearby - check (but in need of improvement)
• Numerous applications to advise of traffic - check
• A new app providing access to motorway traffic cameras, OTA - check

Now please, will some link all this together with decent turn-by-turn directions and who knows, I might enjoy driving again!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
I could have sworn I linked there in my original post! Wink

Indeed you did, apols!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: