Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oregon 400t mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon 400t mapping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Oregon 400t mapping Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first time here.

I'm new to using GPS, so sorry for any obvious questions.

Just bought the Oregon 400t (which comes with UK Topo maps included) for use on my motorbike and mountainbike - ie I wanted both OS style maps and road routing.

However, now I've got it out of the box, it won't find routes - I understand that if I want to search by street names or postcodes, I'd have to go and buy something like the City Navigator software, but at the moment, I'm simply finding a POI and hitting the 'Go' button, and when guidance method of 'on road for car' is checked, I just get the message, 'Route Calculation Error: maps do not have routable roads in this area.'

Is there something I need to change in Setup? Or can I only manually program routes unless I buy more software?! Which seems a bit tight of Garmin, given that the Topo maps already have pretty good road detail...

If I have do have to buy new software, does anyone know if the GB Discoverer software is out in the UK yet? I've only seen it here:
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/cache/offonce/uk/onthetrail/garmin-gb-discoverer;jsessionid=5F921727058F42053D2998CC3D5E6DD2

This would seem a better option (since it has even better OS detail AND road routing than the City Navigator - speaking of which, is the NT 2009 version available as a standalone package rather than just an update?

Any suggestions/preferences for these or other mapping software?
Thanks,
S.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to
Setup - Map - Map information

What do you see?

I thought the 400t had European Topo not Topo GB!
Have you registered it at Garmin?
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65151&highlight=colorado

That link is to the Colorado but a lot of detail is the same as Oregon
Sam2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map setup says:

Orientation - North Up
Auto Zoom - On
Show Data Fields - Always

And both basemap and Euro Topo (sorry, not GB as mentioned before) enabled.

And in Routing Setup:
Guidance Method - On road for distance
Calculate routes for - Car/Motorcycle
Lock on road - yes
Off road transitions - Auto

I looked on the Colorado link - a couple of people mentioned using the Topo map for road driving, but no more detail than that...

And no, I haven't registered with Garmin yet - surely, that wouldn't affect the routing?

Any help much appreciated!
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not dream of road navigation with what you have at present.

CityNavigator Europe v2009 on a DVD [not the update disk] is what I suggest. Wait for it.

TOPO GB is a waste of money.

The new Discoverey disk has not been seen yet, but most of the good parts/scale are for the set National Parks and trails and may not cover your area.

There are software updates for you unit check Garmin.

Register the unit and see if aquires its first satelite lock with you as there are many so called 'new' units that acquired a first lock weeks before!
Sam2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info.

Just registered - I was the first sat lock!

Do you know eta for CitNav Europe 2009 or GB Discoverer? I know the CitNav 09 for the US is already out...

Thanks again for the help.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'updates' for Europe v2009 are out but the full version DVD is not on the market yet!

You can always try buying the v2008 on SD card for the time being [£50 on eBay] but you really need the maps from the DVD on the Computer.

Garmin Metroguide can be used in the meantime - DVD for computer and unit without the need for unlock codes.
MrsOften
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought the 400t too, and I have the same problem. It won't find routes. Every time I try, after hitting "Go" on the map tells me: "Route Calculation Error: Maps do not have routable roads in this area."

I have registered with Garmin, and in myGarmin under My Products it tells me only the recreational map of Europe is intalled.

When I go to Settings, Map, Map information it tells me both maps are enabled:
1. Recreational Map of Europe v2.00
2. WW Autoroute DEM Basemap NR

I really don't understand what's going on. I don't think it's the first sat lock like Sam2008 mentioned. I'm not sure what they mean by that. I have full sat connection according to the bars in main screen.

I really hope someone can help, this is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance,
MrsOften
g-o-cashers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the European Recreational maps are not "autorouting" maps. Similar to the North American Oregon 400t, the unit comes with preinstalled topo maps that don't support street routing. The simple answer is that you'll need to purchase more maps like City Nav Europe to use this feature.
MrsOften
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you reply g-o-cashers, -- oh dear!! I was lead to believe that the topo maps do give turn-by-turn navigation but only on larger roads! If it can't, I don't actually understand the advantage of the topo map on top of the base map :s Sad

P.S. -- rectreational maps- of course they can't do navigation... but the second map that is enabled on my 400t is called "WW Autoroute DEM basemap NR" ...shouldn't the "Autoroute" part of that mean it can do some autorouting?
g-o-cashers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the NR in the name implies "non-routing". Even if it was routing it wouldn't be worth the troubles. At least here in the US the basemap only has interstate highways and even the data for those isn't very up to date or accurate.

If you live near a major city you might want to check out cityXplorer maps:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/maps/cityxplorer/cityxeurope

For $10-$15US you can purchase a set of maps for the metro area around a city which gives you access to routable maps for that area. Note you cannot use the pedestrian navigation features in the maps on the Oregon, but it is an inexpensive way to get autonav for a urban area and try it out.
MrsOften
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you your input. What a huge disappointment!!! I guess I spent the extra money on the 400t instead of the 300 for nothing Sad

A metro map thing might indeed be an option, though I'd not buy one for my own area as I know the streets here ;). I'd have to wait to see where I'll be going next to try it out... and then run the risk of it not doing what I want it to and get 'lost' (also fun).
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topo GB - DVD or SD card are routeable.
Garmin Discoverer is routeable.
City Navigator is the best for navigation [uncluttered maps]

You can see screenshots here:-
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73252&start=0
MrsOften
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link eyeQue,

If Topo GB is routable, does that mean Topo EU is routable too?

If so, could my routing error have something to do with the fact that myGarmin (My products, Oregon 400t) says the only map installed is the recreational map?

How would I be able to change that? The Oregon itself says both recreational and Autoroute (topo??) are installed *and* enabled...

Sigh. What a mess.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=14904

Quote:
Oregon 400t's preloaded European topographic map, 3D map view and a built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief give you all the tools for serious climbing or hiking.

I think the statement in Garmin's Adverts gives the indication as to the value of the 400T!

TOPO EU is not in the same league TOPO GB [and that is not worth the money]

TOPO GB is 750 maptiles taking up 1650MB of space, so a comparable TOPO EU would be HUGE.

To me [a Caravanner] CityNavigator is a must, and Garmin Discover is a worthwhile extra for my areas of the UK]

The 400T is just an empty unit, you now have to spend money on filling it with maps and our camera database to make it any use.Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: