Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman announce the Spirit S100 satnav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman announce the Spirit S100 satnav
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Moov v Spirit Reply with quote

Quote:
Will definately let you know how I get on with it

Great, I look forward to your report ;-)

Quote:
My main reason for choosing the perhap slightly lower spec Spirit100 over the Moov is the new generation of Navman software on the S100 - the Moov seems at the moment to have Navman SmartST 2008 3rd Edition (if that exists)

Moov reportedly has MioMap2008 2nd edition navigation software which may or not be what you report. Moov also has Teleatlas 2008.4 maps against Navman's 2008.10 maps. Moov has built in Traffic whereas with Navman you have to buy a bolt on version.
Both have a free map update in 2009...Navman had UK & ROI maps whereas Moov has 38 European maps.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Navman S100 Report Reply with quote

Well my Navman S100 arrived first thing this morning, as promised (well done Halfords!)

Only had opportunity to test for around 3 hours driving today but found

* Maps very up todate (some sites promise 2008.10 others 2008.7 - it lists it as 2008.7 on the unit, although a new local roundabout completed around August time IS on the unit...!) - a FREE map upgrade is included for next year either way

* First and following GPS fixes were accurate and fast, even compared with the S90i or TomTom 730

* Vocal instruction (it includes text to speech) is as always on the Navman second to none

* Maps initially seem less appealling that the S90, etc. but in practice is soon becomes apparent why - they are as their name suggests "ClearMaps" and it really does make a difference in built up areas to have less busy mapping

* POIs (for which the othe S series from Navman was knocked for very often), is now best in the business. Internet POIs work well too, if a little slow (but hey, its their first generation use)

* Lane guidance is better than Navigon or TomTom with not only visual indication but perhaps more importantly (keep in the left two lanes, keep to the right 2 lines, etc.) together with onscreen guidance. It also seems for frequent, especially compared with my Navigon 2100max

* Junction Reality View is great - works as well as any, like Navigon, TomTom or the new Garmin system

* Multipoint routing is now simple (finally!)

* Address search options is widest choice I've experienced

* Touch Keyboard doesn't mis-select keys like it sometimes does with the S90

* Build quality and screen is excellent - look and feel great

* Menus superb, nothing comes close

* Usability - well it is a complete new concept in GPS navigation menu systems, and will take a few days to get used to. Initially very good, very different, and very innovative. Just need a few more days to get round it all...!

* Routing - as Navman always provides the best routes of my TomTom, Navigon and Garmin 90% of the time, this seems to remain, certainly on my limited experience today

I'll report back in a few days when I've done much more driving, much more testing

Any questions...?

So overall a beauty of a system, and at £199 its a snip
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about time Tomtom and Garmin had some decent competition, glad to hear it, sounds good.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Definately Reply with quote

Definately portman - the new Spirit from Navman is the cleanest smoothest interface of a satnav there is - bring sat nav more inline with the latest generation of mobile phone interfaces etc. and no one can deny the routing algorythms have always been superb. For everyone else (tomtom garmin, etc) to stand up and take note and react is surely what we ALL want?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information, I have extracted data from the Mio 500 series and the Navman S100 data sheets ( E & OE Wink ) to help anyone considering to buy either.
It's been a useful exercise for me - still have not made up my mind. I think I would like to physically see both models before deciding but it may come to the Mio as I really need the Eastern Europe maps.

Comparison between Mio Moov 580 & Navman S100

1. Mio Moov 580 & Europe 580 Plus
2. Navman S100
Screen size diagonal inches
1. 4.7” Touch screen
2. 4.3” Touch screen

(i.e.No front buttons)

Size (mm)
1. 83.8 H x 139 W x 17.9 D
2. 78.0 H x130 W x 13.5 D
Weight
1. 195 gms
2. 150gms
Depth (mm)
1. 17.9mm
2.13.5mm Ultra slim
Traffic module
1. Built in – free for life
2.Optional – buy T2 (?) from store. Cost £50 *
Text to speech
Yes, both
Bluetooth
Yes, both -With compatible phone
3D Landmarks
Yes, both
FM transmitter to car stereo
Yes, both
Pre-loaded speed cameras
12 m free trial on both
Navpix photo navigation
Navigate to pictures to both
SiRF Instant Fix II
Yes, both
Mileage reporter
Built in on both
Trip meter
Built in on both
Voice guidance
Yes, both
Mapping/ Map data
1. TeleAtlas 2008.04 with Free upgrade 1 year worth €80
2. TeleAtlas 2008.07 with Free upgrade 1 year worth £70
Maps – Street level
1. 38 W & E Europe (EU plus); Moov 500 22 W EU countries
2.Latest GB & Ireland only
Software
1. MioMap 2008 2nd edition
2. Spirit – with glide touch
Desktop Manager
1. Mio More Map Manager
2. Navdesk
Memory expansion
1. SD/MMC
2.Micro SD
Display resolution
480 x 272 pixels, both
Processor
Samsung 2450/ 400MHz, both
GPS receiver
SiRF Star III with instant fix II, both
Battery
1. Rechargeable up to 3hrs use
2. Rechargeable up to 2 hours

PRICE
€279 (approx £223) for the MIO & £199 for the Navman

Navman also has the following, which the Mio does not appear to have:- Infobel local search via Navdesk desktop; Economical routing; Pedestrian mode; MP3 player; Eight digit postcode search. and a Capture button.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Navman Spirit 100 Reply with quote

The Navman S100 Spirit also benefits from Advanced Lane Guidance (visual on screen lane display and vocal lane guidance) plus Reality View Motorway Junctions, all of which make the S100 superior in every way to the new Moovs

Except Mapping - if full European mapping is important to you then the Moov is outstanding value, as the Spirit while as you right state comes with more up to date mapping (2008.7 not 2008.4), its UK & Ireland only with further maps avaiable online (December 2008)

Gee-Pee if you see the build quality of the S100 it is exceptional, a big improvement on the other S-Series and I would guess (looking at video and pics) the Moov series. Its aluminium casing is really nice to hold

By the way at Halfords the S100 is in its exclusive version - the S100T (still for the £199) - which means free lifetime traffic within the package
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman Spirit 100 Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

By the way at Halfords the S100 is in its exclusive version - the S100T (still for the £199) - which means free lifetime traffic within the package

I did check that with Navman, who told me that the 'traffic' was an add-on available from their Store - mind you, we were talking S100 so I suppose the 'T' bit is the traffic......I expect, extra maps will also be available (for E. & W Europe in due course also at a price)

I'll give it a few more weeks and see if I can actually see the devices and then make up my mind - but you must admit at only about £24 extra, the Moov models have a very good spec. The only thing missing is the Spirit map display.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Navman Spirit 100 Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The Navman S100 Spirit also benefits from Advanced Lane Guidance (visual on screen lane display and vocal lane guidance) plus Reality View Motorway Junctions, all of which make the S100 superior in every way to the new Moovs

Searching has also been improved: better fuzzy searching, keyword searching, you can just type street address starting with house number, unlike with 2008 software where house number is entered later...
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Moov Reply with quote

I agree, the Moov 500 series is excellent value for money if you need the full european mapping in an all-round decent GPS package - I have always found the Navman software excellent, the that will be no different

The Spirit (S100) is a new beast though - all the best bits of the old Navman software not just with a new fresh interface, but completely re-written and smoother, faster and simply better with many more features

Lane navigation was an essential for me, and I toyed with the Navigon 2100max which was fine, but couldn't navigate like the Navman - so the S100 gives ME everything I need

Yes the T on the Halfords EXCLUSIVE model is free traffic

Maps are available for rest of world come December 08 as downloads

It is worth pointing out that the Moovs will be replaced next year with the new Microsoft GPS specific systems (Mio being their first partner), which will also feature the Spirit interface
RJTO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caravan Clubs is offering members 20% off and free postage - total price £149 delvered by DHL
Richard
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Moov Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

It is worth pointing out that the Moovs will be replaced next year with the new Microsoft GPS specific systems (Mio being their first partner), which will also feature the Spirit interface

Oh dear! You have made it difficult for me. Still I must remember that anything I get will be out of date as at the date I buy it. Decisions, decisions.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJTO wrote:
Caravan Clubs is offering members 20% off and free postage - total price £149 delvered by DHL
Richard

Could you give a link, please? If it is the Caravan Club, then the S100 or S100T does not feature on their web site shop.
Will360
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the different between S300 and S100?

And Gee Pee im at the same dilema as u Smile Dunno which to buy! Since im driving to romania next June! DECISIONS DECISIONS :D

S100 looks sexier! Moov seems nerdier :D!

Dunno

Currently im leaning towards
S100/S300(if it exists) :D
Will360
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw New video by Navman about the S100. They show you the features.

Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44bBU6FnEks
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will360 wrote:
What is the different between S300 and S100?

And Gee Pee im at the same dilema as u Smile Dunno which to buy! Since im driving to romania next June! DECISIONS DECISIONS :D

S100 looks sexier! Moov seems nerdier :D!

Dunno

Currently im leaning towards
S100/S300(if it exists) :D

I think I am going to decide on the Mio Moov 580 Europe Plus. It is now due to go on sale at the end of this month and already a Belgian site is offering it for (I think, from memory) about Euros 50 below the recommended price. So even with the bad Euro/£ exchange rate that will be a snip - but not so sexy Wink

However, the S300 (and someone said it is going on sale in Januaary) may be the bees knees if it has all the European maps on it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: