Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's happening to TomTom Plus services?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's happening to TomTom Plus services?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: What's happening to TomTom Plus services? Reply with quote

Having recently lost my GPRS traffic service for a month due to "technical issues" it was reinstated last weekend and I was generously given a month's extension of my subscription to compensate me for the inconvenience.

As there is a reduced price offer on at the moment I took the opportunity to renew my subscription for another year. My account then showed an expiry date in November 2009.

At this point I decided to use the voucher I received with my GO 520 Business for a year's free safety camera updates. The code was accepted and I was given an expiry date of October 2009 for this service.

The following day both services stopped functioning again. Traffic still shows an expiry date of November 2009 but my device insists it has expired. My safety camera subscription now shows as having expired on the day I used the voucher.

A half hour premium rate (0845) phone call to TomTom reveals they have no idea when it will be fixed and it is affecting lots of customers. So looks like another month without services I have paid for.

This, coupled with the Mapshare service also not working and a plunging share price is beginning to make me what's going on at TomTom.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The share price plummet is quite a worry (for them anyway), what do you reckon they will do?

Although to buy some shares now and get it back up to was it $66 or maybe Euros would be a real smart investment.

Have those times ended?

Are we all going to be using Smartphones?

Has too much been paid for the map makers?

Will they end up like SEGA and just write the programs and not produce the Hardware?

Who knows?

Very Happy Maybe they have an NDA for that somewhere!!! Very Happy
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang go the quarterly updates we all paid for. Crying or Very sad
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
The share price plummet is quite a worry (for them anyway), what do you reckon they will do?

Stock prices are falling everywhere and banks don't seem to have any money to lend so most major business are suffering with cash flow issues at the moment. I would have thought that TomTom are a very solid business and their plans for "TT Live" will provide them with something that few others have got - Re-occuring revenue. This will give them a growing revenue stream for years to come.

An educated guess...... There is probably a connection between the "problems" with plus services and the (short?) delay in the launch of "live"

Could be contractual or technical. Only those who have signed the NDA really know!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quarterly updates will most likely be mapshare!!!
As for the live thing i am sceptical, they can't even get the update system right as it is.
Perhaps live will use all the server width and mapshare will become another TomTom thing of the past that promised so much but provided very little.
I understand how tight things must be for business these days but with TomTom i feel they are the root of their own problems at present, they seem to be making more changes of direction than the ALG.
Come on TomTom prove me wrong and get it all back on track.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think they have too many new devices, which in turn leads to customer disatisfaction. If you want your new toy to be the newest you have to spend a serious amount of dosh in a real short amount of time.

It may also affect the problems that the devices sometimes seem to face, because there are so many, and they probably all behave in slightly different ways it must make it more difficult to fix the reported problems.

Some of the topics on this forum suggest problems that have been around for ages and some of those problems are serious enough to suggest that certain devices are not "fit for purpose" and do not always do as advertised, but we soldier on. But for those affected it must be a real bind having something that doesn't work as it should.

Personally speaking mine has been brill. and I coudn't be happier.

Cheers

Carl

Last edited by carl_the_cobbler on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a difficult one Carl.
I have been with TomTom since the HP ipaq days and in fairness the products on the whole shape up as sat navs. It's all this garnish that never seems to work which far from enhancing the product, actually degrades it.
I see a picture in my nogging of TomToms' nerve centre where all this dosh is flying through the doors and into the laps of the board. They lose the plot and go on a mad spending spree buying up everyone and everything before actually discussing it and reckoning "can we make this work" or "is this a viable business option". All those who agree carry straight on, those who don't u turn now. Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
I also think they have too many new devices, which in turn leads to customer disatisfaction. If you want your new toy to be the newest you have to spend a serious amount of dosh in a real short amount of time

Investors want returns on investment, new devices drive sales. Investors won't invest in a company with one 8 yr old product that a company keeps improving through updates to software, no profit in that.

TomTom's range is fairly simple in comparison with others. Budget=ONE, Mid-Range=x30, Business User=x40

If you want your new toy to be the latest and greatest then you've fallen into the trap! A GO Classic with a recent map offers 99% of the functions most of us need from a sat-nav i.e. getting us to an address.

I've said it before and it's worth repeating, TomTom have been the only manufacturer to offer continued support for most of their models with updates to software, added functionality etc. Yes we all know they're far from perfect but if you owned a Navman, Garmin or many others you'd only get new features with the new models.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fair points Darren.
This is where it gets sticky. Yes we all get a bee in our bonnets with CS but overall the product is a good one when we look at the sat nav element.
I ask, how much time do TomTom devote to issues with "garnish" that does not function at all or not as it should, lets use traffic as an example.
I still say, as a sat nav device there are none better.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom just announced a new method for those in the States to get gas prices. See this link: http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=603&Lid=4
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behave Dave, you guys get it cheap enough over the pond.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Very fair points Darren.
This is where it gets sticky. Yes we all get a bee in our bonnets with CS but overall the product is a good one when we look at the sat nav element.
I ask, how much time do TomTom devote to issues with "garnish" that does not function at all or not as it should, lets use traffic as an example.
I still say, as a sat nav device there are none better.

I'm firmly in the camp that thinks that photo viewers, .mp3 /video players etc are a waste of time and I agree that there is far too much fluff in all devices these days.

Sadly though, as far as consumers are concerned, it is the 'fluff' that drives the sales.

Rest assured though that we and the other community sites spend a great deal of time badgering the manufacturers ability what is and isn't wanted/desired and ensuring they continue to resolve outstanding issues and don't just abandon them in favour of the next latest gizmo!
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Investors want returns on investment, new devices drive sales. Investors won't invest in a company with one 8 yr old product that a company keeps improving through updates to software, no profit in that.

But aren't the people who buy the product supposed to have a device that does what it says it will do?

Should they have to resort to all the fantastic helpers on here?

Their range is fairly simple, I don't need a x40 so I won't be chasing them when released.

I think the thing is, and I am sitting here trying to put it into words, the relationship between TT and Joe Public seems strange,

the Beta Testers having to chase their maps, disgraceful attitude from a world renowned company.

LMG not working, you have to supply a multitude of information that the computer wary may struggle with - it SHOULD work

The topics about problems that have been around for donkeys and still not solved - not good enough

but other things they are brilliant at, and one of them is getting you from A to B, which is after all what it is all about.

I have no idea if I have got my POV across, but it is something that has bamboozled me, in my short time of being a user of a TT.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right again Darren.
I too was one who fell into the trap, as soon as a new device was released i was on it. All the bells and whistles etc.
Since i got my 910 i still havent been back to the states to use it there.
As for going home, the last time i went home , maps didn't even exist.
This time i went for a 720 as it gives me all i want, and a lot more "fluff" i don't.
I still want the best unit but i find i can talk myself out of it these days as i just don't see the use for all these bits.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Plus services are an ongoing revenue earner so sufficient resources should be devoted to them. At the moment their attitude seems to be - we have your money and are not like to get any more from you for another 12 months, so go away and we'll fix it when we get around to it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: