Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What would you buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: What would you buy? Reply with quote

What would be good, is a reference that would give people like me some simple advice. What I am looking to do is add to my existing HP2210 PPC the capability of GPS navigation whilst walking, driving,as well as the ability whilst in the car to get warnings of the speed cameras coming up.

Together with this any additional things that would make up my mind like cradles to hold the kit in the car, carry cases etc.

I can see from you site that you really like CF receivers like the Haicom 303 series and the SysOnChip GPS CF Plus, you also like the BT receivers but which one is best for me? If you had my 2210 and a few £'s what would you buy?

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated. :D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tstacey,

Welcome
Firstly welcome to the forum. ;)

Secondly, please fill in your location to your profile as it really does help us to give the best advice we can. However saying that I reckon it’s a good bet that you’re in the UK (you mention speed cameras and £s)! ;-)

If I were to buy another system, I would get a H2210 (so you’ve already started on the right path) and TTNav3 with a wired TomTom GPS receiver, and the generic car mount that TomTom include in their package. That’s a basic system that will get you started without too much trouble and with decent reliability. You’ll also need decent space available on either a CF or SD storage card. 128Mb is good; 256Mb or more is much better.

However the above set-up limits you to car navigation within one country (UK?).

You can then get a Brodit car mount, Memory-Map software, TomTom Europe maps, and a Bluetooth GPS receiver as and when you want.

That’s just my personal idea/choice and I’m sure that others would disagree or add things differently. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, whilst i am still new to this forum and the technology, I have a few pointers.

You say that you want to go walking with it too. A wired GPS would be of no use to you there. I know it may cost a little more, but how abouts TTN on the Ipaq linking to something like a Garmin Etrex model. Then you can use it in the car, with the speed camera POI etc. then if you want to go out cycling or walking, you have that ability too.

What does anyone else think??

Sparky
Clarkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought the whole kit and spent a lot of time trying to decide what to get. I wanted a system I could use in a van, on a motorcycle or out walking in the hills. This is what I ended up with.

2210 Pocket PC - Has Blue Tooth, 400MHz processor & both SD and CF slots. Does everything I wanted & seems a very popular choice.

Tom Tom Navigator 2 - Will be getting my free upgrade to 3 though asap. Not perfect but does the navigation job very well and has allowed me to use

Checkpoint - for Speed Camera warnings and

Neils Post Code program - because Tom Tom doesn't do full postcodes.

Navman 4100 Blue Tooth GPS - This has worked very well in all applications so far and has the added benefit of using standard AAA batteries which last a full day easily. Plus I can carry spares on the bike or out walking. The Blue Tooth devices are the most flexible as you can place them for best GPS reception & still be free to use the Pocket PC unhindered.

Memory Map OS2004 for walking - brilliant OS map software for walking.

A £10 battery box to recharge the 2210 when on bike or foot for longer spells.

I tried a Pocket XTrack CF GPS first but it just didn't work well enough in the van for me. Maybe other CF cards work better but I am now converted to Blue Tooth (and £100 poorer for the CF card experience Sad )

Just my opinion based on a measly few weeks experience so judge it's worth for yourself.
tstacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and Welcome, so far so good Smile

So I got the 2210 right, good start for me!

TTN3 seems to be the way to go as I understand the POI are better on this than others.

A BT rx would seem better to me as your right I would like to use it walking and those wires would drive me mad both out & in the car. The Garmin Etrex rx or the TomTom GPS rx seems to be the question to answer. I'll check these out and let you know what I go for.

I do like the TT mount that some with the pack, this seems neat. Does anyone else have one?

Thanks all for your comments. Thumbs Up
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tstacey]A BT rx would seem better to me as your right I would like to use it walking and those wires would drive me mad both out & in the car. The Garmin Etrex rx or the TomTom GPS rx seems to be the question to answer. I'll check these out and let you know what I go for.
[/quote]

I would say there is no point getting an Etrex when you already have a 2210. The PPC will give full colour OS style mapping via Memory Map or Anquet. The Etrex won't display OS style mapping and will probably cost the same if not more than a BT receiver would. Also I'm not sure how the Etrex would perform in-car with TomTom or Navman (or any other street nav software)
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... how I wish I could edit my posts to correct mistakes Grrrr
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts re: the Etrex would be that as the Etrex is fully waterproof and rugged it would have a better chance of surviving in the great outdoors. The Ipaq could then be plugged in when you want to get a livetrack status of your area. - at least thats how i understand it!

However, if you are doing more driving then a BT reciever would be the better option.

Cheers

Sparky
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would assume that you would have some kind of waterproof jacket on so the BT receiver would be in your pocket and out of harms way.
No wires to the iPAQ.

However as you say the Etrex is definitely more rugged.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: