Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OS maps updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OS maps updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: OS maps updates Reply with quote

Hi

I have searched for any threads for this topic and cant find any so..... has anyone asked Satmap wether there are going to be any free OS map updates as they come along and how old the maps are that they are selling us. I have just bought a centred map for £160 around the Chichester area and first outing today I have noticed that a whole housing estate built about 6 years ago is missing!! Also the Salterns Way, a cycle route, near Chichester is also missing! The Salterns Way is about 3 - 4 years old but the route has been there as a footpath for many years longer. But that is not shown either. Now I know the area so I know where I am but if I didnt.....
I will be asking Satmap on Monday. 1/ How old are the maps. 2/ Are we going to get free updates. 3/ And when?
Thanks

John
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. Although I don't expect to get free updates, I would rather not have to pay full price either! That said, if you want an updated O/S paper map you normally have to pay twice as much as the one you bought several years ago Sad.

Anquet, for example, charge, £61.08 for their downloadable Brecon Beacons National Park O/S maps 1:25000. I have just checked and there is an update available for for BBNP for £12.45. However, I cut and downloaded an area of the Swansea Valley 1:2500 a few months ago for £10 and the update for this area is £61.08!

It would be good if Satmap were to announce when updated maps are available and at what cost.

Would we be able to plug the SD cards into the computer and download the updated mapping from their website or would we have to return the cards and get an update in return?

Who knows!
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: OS maps updates Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
Hi

I have searched for any threads for this topic and cant find any so..... has anyone asked Satmap wether there are going to be any free OS map updates as they come along and how old the maps are that they are selling us. I have just bought a centred map for £160 around the Chichester area and first outing today I have noticed that a whole housing estate built about 6 years ago is missing!! Also the Salterns Way, a cycle route, near Chichester is also missing! The Salterns Way is about 3 - 4 years old but the route has been there as a footpath for many years longer. But that is not shown either. Now I know the area so I know where I am but if I didnt.....
I will be asking Satmap on Monday. 1/ How old are the maps. 2/ Are we going to get free updates. 3/ And when?
Thanks

John

What scale map is this?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Salterns Way Reply with quote

You have PM. Salterns Way is definately on my site centered map,(!:25) but I'm not sure of the housing estate you are talking about.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about looking at the Ordnance Survey web site (Getamap or something like that) to see what they are showing as the latest?
Satsync 1.525
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the replies. The scale is 1:25. Bear in mind that I have only had the centred map since Friday Saturday morning (second attempt, the first SD card was corrupted). Saturday late afternoon I got out to try the Active 10 for the first time. I have ridden the Salterns Way a number of times without a GPS but of course I havent had time to ride all of it with the Active 10 yet. The route I took was along the A286 Birdham road past Deer Close and The Meadows, a small housing estate which has been there about 4 years. Not shown on Satmap. Incidently although the roads are shown on google the houses do not! and only show fields. Down to the path/cycle route opposite Donnington Park along there to join up with the Salterns Way heading North parellel with Appledram Lane. Although I know for a fact that this is the Salterns Way (its signed etc) the Satmap showed me going across fields. I have a 1:50 OS map I bought about 2 years this doesnt show it either. I checked the paper map after I posted this subject.

I will, when I get a chance check more of the local areas, including the Salterns Way, but I think the problem is that OS have not done an update for some time and Satmap are selling us the same maps. Question is when will there be an update and will there be a charge. I wont be happy if I have paid out £160 and there is an update next week and I'm expexted to pay full price again. I will contact Satmap and let you know their reply.

John
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
I wont be happy if I have paid out £160 and there is an update next week and I'm expexted to pay full price again. I will contact Satmap and let you know their reply.

Whilst I appreciate how annoying that might be, would you expect a free map if this were printed media?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all a bit like the mapping problems/updates with TomTom etc., but at least you know with them what version map you're running....with Satmap they don't supply a version number....(one for the wishlist?)
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whilst I appreciate how annoying that might be, would you expect a free map if this were printed media?

No, but £160 is a lot of money to pay. Satmap is supposed to be all singing all dancing guidance GPS map system and dont forget a lot of people have mentioned the price of paper maps but you view paper with your eyes, with Satmap on top of the price of the maps you HAVE to pay £299 for the device, and extra for the power pack, bike mount etc. Also I had 1 free update with Mio and I beleive that most of the others Tom Tom etc do free updates. As I havent had a reply from Satmap yet I am talking in ignorance.

John
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just had a reply from Satmap as follows:

Hi John,

Our maps are the latest versions that Ordnance Survey have released (we are the Ordnance Survey third biggest customer, so we are quite a priority for them). OS treat digital maps like they would their paper maps and they do not offer an update service, luckily for the purpose the active 10 is used for i.e out in the hills you don’t get as many variables as you would an in car satnav. OS only update their maps about once every 4 years, you can understand the gap because of the sheer amount of information that they have to rework. When OS release the new versions we will be the first people to get them, and I think there are new maps expected out shortly.
MY REPLY
Hi Lewis

I realise it must be a massive task updating a whole country and they are obviously not going to do this every year but your last sentence worries me, I have just paid out £160 for a centred map, if OS, as you say, are going to release new maps shortly where does that leave people like me who have just bought maps? Will we be offered updates and at what price? If there are a new release of maps due should I wait before I buy any more map packs?
I understand that car satnavs need more regular updates; roundabouts change, one way systems etc, but even with hiking or cycling, rights of ways etc can change over a period of time.
Regards
John

Many Thanks,

One thing I would like to add (in response to the below email) is that, even though OS do not offer an update service, as a company we are in talks about offering a service at cost. I hope you are enjoying the active 10 and I look forward to seeing you at the show.

Many Thanks,
Lewis Price
Sales & marketing executive
Satmap Systems Ltd.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say that when it comes to the mapping you buy it and that's that...exactly like a paper map.....unless Satmap had sold you a previous version of the mapping in error.
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posts saying that you wouldn't expect a free updated paper map, so why expect a free updated electronic map. It would however, be nice, if once having purchased the maps, you could use them across platforms and devices, and across updates to the mapping software itself. After all, the OS don't insist that you buy a new set of paper maps just because you've got a new map case! Over the years, I have become the proud owner of 3 sets of OS electronic GB maps, and although I accept there will have been minor changes over this time, essentially the topography of the Lake District etc remains pretty stable! I've also got Garmin Topo GB, which again contributes in no small way to OS coffers. I know it's my choice, but the cost of yet another set of maps of the same places is making me very reluctant to buy Satmap. Having said that, I will probably grit my teeth and buy one sometime soon!!
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Bike Show in Earls Court last week where both Satmap and Garmin were exhibiting. Garmin were giving out leaflets listing their new National Parks maps (1:25k) which go on sale on Nov 1. They are also producing long distance paths (like Satmap) and the entire National Parks at 1:50k. Both will be available in SD and micro SD for the Colorado and Oregon sets. Satmap had their new route mapping software on display and you were allowed to try out route planning. Looks as simple to use as Garmin Mapsource and is due for release within days I was told. It was good to meet Satmap staff in the flesh so to speak.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: