Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap for Xmas????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap for Xmas????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alanmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Satmap for Xmas???? Reply with quote

I have used a 60cs on the hills, for years and it has never let me down but I am now drawn to a more modern product and the Satmap seems to offer a great deal.
I did consider getting one some time ago but was put off by the comments in this forum.
However, there have obviously been a lot of upgardes and the satsync inroduced.
Therefore, I wonder if you could advise me:

Have the bugs been put right and can I expect the same sort of reliability and consistency to be expected of a Garmin?

If there are any bugs/problems remaining, what sre they?

I have a full set of Tracllog maps on my PC. I presume that I will have to purchase dedicated maps for the Satmap? If so, is there simple and seemless transfer, of routes etc., from Tracklogs to Satmap and vice versa?

Best wishes

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, if you have a route in the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District or Lancashire e-mail it to me and I will put it on my active 10 then upload a screen shot of it as proof and detail what I did in way of conversion. If you don't have a route in the above areas just pick one and I will still be able to load it using just the base map. Use my e-mail button at the bottom of this post.

You will have to purchase new maps as the SatMap use their own format.

I haven't suffered much in way of lockups for quite a while, the device seems stable in use, I would recommend you get the LiPol battery with the device though as this is a much better solution to using disposable cells - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look at my post here then you may want to hang on a bit.

It may be that GARMIN are about to release OSGB mapping onto the Oregon and Colorado units. This would let you stick with a GARMIN solution (ok - you have to buy a new unit though).
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Active 10 is a good device. Not perfect but SatMap seem to be continuing their work on sorting out any remaining problems (I'm not aware of any that seem too serious). It has a good screen, is quite rugged and has some very good maps. And it is here now and tested.

I also use Tracklogs which I find works well with the Active 10 thought as said above you will need to but specific SatMap map packs to see them on the Active 10 but a combination of "Save as" and the use of GPSBabel ensures a good transfer of tracks between Tracklogs and the Active 10 for me.
Satsync 1.525
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been my first experience with Satmap/GPS since given the device by my kids last Christmas. Once I got over the learning curve and got a couple of bugs sorted out...I have to say the on the whole it is an excellent piece of kit...I use it at least twice a week and I am more than happy with it. That's not to say that I wouldn't mind the addition of many of the 'Wishlist' options to be included at some time. Another serious test for it is the Lakes, which I am walking for two weeks in a couple of weeks time. Loads of routes already loaded, but not sure yet which to do. I am more than happy to reccomend it.
Alanmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for your help. Seems very positive though I think I will still keep my eye on the posts here before finally putting in a request.

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: