Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux GPSlim 236
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux GPSlim 236

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Holux GPSlim 236 Reply with quote

Hi, i use a holux gr 211 I have wired up in the car and the gpslim when abroad. My 211 has started taking ages to get a first fix, anything between 5 & 8 mins, its about 3-4 years old - on the way out ??

Anyway i thought i would replace it with the gpslim, what i'm after is using it as a wired mouse as opposed to bluetooth - so i'm after a split cable to power the gpslim and connect it via cable to my ipaq4700, which needs power to Smile

Any idea where I can get one from ?? i have had a rummage round the web and can locate leads for the 4700 and power to the gpslim but not the 4700 and power & data to the gpslim.

Help would be appreciated Razz
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with using the GPSlim236 as intended and utilising the Bluetooth connection? - a cable to go between the two units is possible but will be very difficult to track down - Mike
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm after using it as a mouse primarily because the data lead also powers the unit. I would have to run a power cable anyway as i do quite long trips and having to charge the gps would be a pain, the other incidental reason is that the bluetooth LED on the 4700 is really bright !

I've found one - in the US;

http://www.gpscity.com/item-holux-gr-23x-ps2-cable/gr23ps2cbl.htm

the $50 p&p is putting me off at the moment Shocked
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Are you sure that the cables you linked to will do the job?

It does look as if the GR23x cable probably contains the necessary "dongle" to convert from Holux CMOS levels to RS232, but does the "Male PS2" Y cable (which seems incredibly cheap) include the necessary data connections to the Ipaq?

Look also at pc-mobile although I don't think they have a data cable for the Holux.

For power only a PSP data/power Y cable might be a cheap option (a few Pounds on ebay). It has one mini-B plug for the Holux and a 4.0/1.7mm coaxial plug commonly used by PDA interfaces. The USB-A end can go into a cheap car cigarette lighter to USB adapter (sometimes even seen in Poundland).

Yes, my Acer BT LED was also ridiculously bright, but a sliver of parcel tape over it fixed that. Wink

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Yup that cable is the one Smile it has mini usb one end and a ps2 connector the other. I have a power to iPAQ to ps2 cable (from an older mouse that went u/s) already - just need the lead to the 236.

I have seen the cables on ebay that provide power to iPAQ to mini usb, £8 or so i think, i thought though if i was going to run a cable to the mouse for power - it would be great if i could get data as well, easier said than done !

If push comes to shove I'll use it via bluetooth and just run the power and utilise some bodge tape for the led Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: