Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing a GO300 - which current model?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing a GO300 - which current model?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Replacing a GO300 - which current model? Reply with quote

I need to replace a Go300. Was very happy with it, and intend to get another tomtom as I am familiar with useage.
The basic capabilities of the 300 were fine for me, so I don't need any of the 'fripperies' such as road traffic reports, playing MP3s, voice activated directions, etc.
Looking at the models available, it seems to break down into ones with an SD card, and ones without.
One of the nice things about the 300 was that it was easy to add and remove maps, speedcams etc, and always have a copy of the original SD card in case of mistakes, and also that if I needed more space for a bigger map, I could simply buy a bigger card.
How much of a drawback is it these days to get a model that doesn't have an SD card, which seems to apply to much of the lower end of the range?? For example, if I decided to take my new TT to the US and wanted to buy a US map, am I likely to even have space on a basic model?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for the One series you will have fun and games adding larger maps later on, it is possible to copy the map from the device to the PC to free up storage on the device, but for the North American map you would have to purchase a One pre-loaded with the Europe map to ensure sufficient memory is installed to start with.

I would consider the One XL which is a great device, but also look at the Go-520 and if you shop around the price difference will be very small, the advantage the 520 offers is the very latest maps, the use of IQ Routes, Lane Assist and Reality view (non of these options are available on the One or XL devices), and of course the 520 has the all important SD card slot.
You will also get the BT Hands free, FM transmitter, mp3 player (all the toys you say you have no use for), but if the device costs the same as the One XL Europe you are getting a better product IMHO - Mike
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would consider the One XL which is a great device, but also look at the Go-520 and if you shop around the price difference will be very small, the advantage the 520 offers is the very latest maps, the use of IQ Routes, Lane Assist and Reality view (non of these options are available on the One or XL devices), and of course the 520 has the all important SD card slot.
You will also get the BT Hands free, FM transmitter, mp3 player (all the toys you say you have no use for), but if the device costs the same as the One XL Europe you are getting a better product IMHO - Mike

Thanks for that Mike I will check out those two, I have not kept up with all the different models and the TT website didn't really help me narrow it down. I have no issue with 'bells and whistles' as long as they dont get in the way of basic operations and don't really cost me much more. Are things like 'reality view' options I can switch off if I don't like them? Having just got a "new improved" mobile phone which has managed to destroy all the simple convenience of the model it replaced with more complexity, that's my main worry.

One other Q, I see a message or two here about possible new devices coming, I know there is "always" a new model coming out 'soon' but I can wait a week or two, am I advised to do so?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 520 I mention above was released last year and has recently been superseded by the 530, which is why it is possible to grab a bargain as shops off load old stock, BUT when you get a 520 you can update it to the very latest software for free, and it comes with a "Latest Map Guarantee card" which allows you to update the map for free.

With the latest map and software on the 520 you have the same capability as the 530 but should be around £80 cheaper! The One XL Classic which does have the SD card slot is around £15 cheaper than the 520 but the extra outlay is well worth it IMHO.

The newer still models waiting for release are the x40 range which were announced at the recent IFA show in Berlin, they are a different animal altogether with even more bells and whistles - these are intended for the "Road Warrior" according to the press release, what that means I am not too sure, but they are supplementary to the x30 range rather than replacements for it. - Mike
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The One XL Classic which does have the SD card slot is around £15 cheaper than the 520 but the extra outlay is well worth it IMHO.

Thanks Mike, looks like the XL classic is coming up £30 cheaper than the 520 at the moment, £120 vs £150 typical prices.
Not sure I like the look of the new mounts, v close to the unit, my screen is quite a way away so will probably end up getting an accessory mount which the £30 will pay for, plus, though its difficult to find details, am I right in thinking that the XL will be lighter and thinner and therefore more pocketable than the 520?

Can you convince me I'm wrong before I buy? :-)

I take it no 'IQ routes' in the XL classic, I think this is the only thing I would use?

The one function I have never seen available on any GPS unit is a 'learn route' where I could drive a route and then have that stored so someone else can go that exact route. I don't suppose there is a TT or other make that has that feature?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One XL Classic is actually larger than the 520 in depth but will still fit in a shirt pocket with little trouble. The IQ Routes are one thing you will be missing but also you miss out on the TTS (Text To Speech) this is where the device reads out the road names, I wouldn't want to be without this these days, it is very handy indeed when in areas you have never been before. For me the extra £30 is worth it for the TTS alone.

There is third party software you can install to the TomTom devices to record routes, but it is a lot of messing around, its not really something I have seen on other devices either - Mike
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The One XL Classic is actually larger than the 520 in depth but will still fit in a shirt pocket with little trouble. The IQ Routes are one thing you will be missing but also you miss out on the TTS (Text To Speech) this is where the device reads out the road names, I wouldn't want to be without this these days, it is very handy indeed when in areas you have never been before. For me the extra £30 is worth it for the TTS alone.

There is third party software you can install to the TomTom devices to record routes, but it is a lot of messing around, its not really something I have seen on other devices either - Mike

That would be a nice feature, so you have convinced me, 520 it is, will buy it today. Have you seen it better than £150 anywhere at a reputable supplier?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

£169 with the RDS-TMC receiver thrown in Here

£143 without the RDS-TMC Here

Although if you shop around you might find cheaper, I know one forum member who was asking similar questions about upgrading devices who got a 720 for a really good price - end of line stock clearances at Argos, Tescos etc tend to be local and not advertised on the web - Mike
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more (final? :-) question. As the 520 seems to charge via USB and comes with home cradle for PC connection, why is there also a home charger for sale?
Or have I got that wrong and it doesn't charge via the cradle?
TIA
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered one for in store collection at Halfords, £144.99 :-)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does charge via the cradle, but rather slowly (USB cannot supply much current). So if you use either the car charger or the fast home charger, it will charge quicker.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a bit confused. 520's still seem available. So if I get a 520 + TMC and update everything I can get for free, is there ANY advantage in functionality/maps to spending the extra on a 530T?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only slight difference is the number that appears on the boot screen (520 instead of 530) and the newer units use a Terry's Chocolate Orange colour scheme for the menu's, the x20 use the standard blue/ grey.

Other than the above there is no difference, in terms of functionality they are the same - Mike
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The only slight difference is the number that appears on the boot screen (520 instead of 530) and the newer units use a Terry's Chocolate Orange colour scheme for the menu's, the x20 use the standard blue/ grey.

Other than the above there is no difference, in terms of functionality they are the same - Mike

So with the free upgraded software I get TTS, IQ routes, lane guidence stuff etc., right?

A sighlt different question I know, but if they are essentially the same hardware, but are running different software (how else would you get different menu colours) presumably there's a risk that there will come a point where new software is released for the 530 that isn't made available for the 520 (for marking reasons at least)? I'm buying this a gift, want it to have some longively, and trying to figure out if the difference in price is worth it...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess at some future point the functionality could be altered between the two devices, but somehow I doubt this. The x20 range has been replaced by the x30 range, so there is little point in altering the device capability now the x20 devices are no longer being manufactured.

Indeed when the x30 devices launched they were the only device with IQ Routes, Reality View, Lane Assist etc. With the recent map upgrade this difference has been removed making the x20 and x30 devices equally capable in terms of functionality - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: