Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT GPS + GPRS (Dial up Networking)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT GPS + GPRS (Dial up Networking)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: BT GPS + GPRS (Dial up Networking) Reply with quote

I'm slowly getting to grips with my new iPAQ 2210, and from posts in this forum am aware of the issue with the TomTom software hogging the bluetooth com port.

In addition to GPS I'd like to use my iPAQ to get my email & connect to the internet for WAP. All via GPRS on my phone.

After much fiddling I got the email & pocket IE to connect to the internet via GPRS on my phone (Siemens S55) using Bluetooth dial up networking coms profiles, connecting to the 'orangeinternet' APN on my phone. Neither of these apps asked for a com port, but appear to access the com profiles directly. I tried unsuccessfully to get WAP to work via Orange UKs 'orangewap' APN, first via pocket internet explorer, 2ndly via a trial download of winwap. I'm not convinced that the pocket IE explorer wap will work via a wap gateway, but I think my main problem is convincing the phone to connect via the 'orangewap' APN rather than 'orangeinternet'. I could do it on my Tungsten T, so it's probably 'finger trouble' on my part. There is also a sneaky suspicion that the TomTom bluetooth stack hogging could be coming into play (although thinking about this logically, it shouldn't be). Anyone got a WAP browser to work with their mobile providers wap service as opposed to using their providers generic internet service? The reason being that I get wap for 'free' but am charged by the MB for normal GPRS internet access.

Getting to the point. What exactly is it that TomTom locks. Is it the Bluetooth serial port profile? or does it include dial-up networking. Also incidentally, does locking the BT serial port prevent access to the wired serial port?

There appears to be separate com port allocations for serial port & dial up networking, so I'm assuming TomTom just locks the serial port. I'm assuming so, since the Tom Tom Traffic add on must want a 2nd Bluetooth connection to the phone for dial-up networking. However I suspect that it might not be possible to access the wired serial port with another application, when TomTom is hogging the BT serial port.

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it eventually, but any discussion on how these profiles work would be appreciated.

Alan Mr. Green
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand the TomTom GPS driver is only affecting the BT stack, and it is only hogging the original COM port for the BT Serial Port Profile (and masking it into another port). TomTom Navigator should be ignorant towards the Dial-up conection to the internet. It should simply assume a conection is already established.

Now I say "should" because we don't know for sure. But one thing is clear - the internet connection has nothing to do with the GPS driver...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: