Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avergae speed cams sticking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avergae speed cams sticking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxmaciek wrote:

But - I think - there is nothing what you can do with the camera database, it's in the iGo's core somewhere.

To work correctly, you would need:

#1. For the database, to split the existing single SPECS camera type into three types - start, intermediate, finish.

AND

#2. Produce an algorithm to take account of all three types, including what happens when a vehicle leaves or stops between any two cameras.

AND

#3. Get all GPS software manufacturers to agree on the same algorithm and include it in their products.

You would find that:

#1 is possible
#2 is extremely difficult
#3 is impossible

I have always converted SPECS cameras to the conventional Gatso type, first with the Mio and now with the iPAQ. This has been entirely satisfactory for me, but of course others may feel differently about it.

Sal
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally,
sorry, but I must disagree with #1:
i.e., when I'm driving the M1 north betw J25 & 26, and when I'm leaving on J26 - there is NO end camera, and average is counting.... and counting... and I'm going to the redlight, but after crossign it, it's still counting... Wink

Well, yes, the alghoritm is difficult to first, estabilish, second, to set a standard.
Well, I have no idea how it is for rest of the Europe, but while driving in Poland (it's my origin), Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech, Latvia, Lietuva - cams are in pairs.
and, as I think - this is the common way how nav is programmed.
Unfortunately UK is exception, and counting for the support from Navngo or Tomtom can be hopeless...
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mxmaciek, I think we are saying the same thing ...

#1 - it is easy to label the first camera on the road as 'start' and to label the last one as 'finish'. That is a simple job with the database.

BUT

#2 - you have to decide what the the GPS unit is going to do when you leave the road before you get to the 'finish'.

Sal
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the easiest way for manufacturers (navngo) to work this is to add a new camera category of 'end specs' where if you get to this the warnings stop. BUT also allow the user to press an area to stop the warning (apparently this can be done on igo2006)

it's not rocket science and i really can't see why something like this hasn't been added. it would work with any database as even if they did not hav data for start/end cams they could all be put as start ones and when the user passes the 'end of average speed cams' sign they can press the button to stop it...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
also allow the user to press an area to stop the warning (apparently this can be done on igo2006)

it's not rocket science and i really can't see why something like this hasn't been added. it would work with any database as even if they did not hav data for start/end cams they could all be put as start ones and when the user passes the 'end of average speed cams' sign they can press the button to stop it...

MaFt

If only the mio (Igo) software would keep running the av speed calc, instead of turning off at the 'second' specs, this is exactly how it would work, and would work a treat. I would have thought that it would have been more trivial to fix than me writing this post.
I can see the problem of keeping the database updated with start, middle and end cams, although on the face of it a simple, if time consuming, task for MaFt. the problem will be with the reporting of the cams. As we know the position and quantity of specs (and other cams) is generally initially wrong, it takes a while for the positions/qty to settle down after multiple reports or a visit by a verifier. And why bother, when a simple 'Cancel Specs' button on the device would fix the problem without any fancy algorythms (whatever they are) and minimal re-coding of the software.
Perhaps, as the continentals use them in pairs, it is yet another demonstration of how the UK has been 'over cammed'.
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
BUT also allow the user to press an area to stop the warning (apparently this can be done on igo2006)

MaFt

This is possible, with the UltraSkin from linknet ;) Not only for average speed cams, but you can erase as well the other warnings by pressing and keeping for a sec or two Smile
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the easiest way for manufacturers (navngo) to work this is to add a new camera category of 'end specs' where if you get to this the warnings stop. BUT also allow the user to press an area to stop the warning (apparently this can be done on igo2006)
MaFt

It's igo2006 that was installed in the Mio*10 units and now in the iPAQ314, and you are right that pressing the alarm popup on the screen cancels the alarm.
But unfortunately it doesn't just cancel the *current* warning - it turns off all speedcam alarms. To turn them on again you have to go back through the menus to find the speedcams control and turn it on again - strictly not advisable when driving.

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sallyann"]
MaFt wrote:
But unfortunately it doesn't just cancel the *current* warning - it turns off all speedcam alarms.
Sal

I didn't realise that one!!!!! How non-observant of me. Still I don't go through too many SPECS.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="M8TJT"]
Sallyann wrote:
MaFt wrote:
But unfortunately it doesn't just cancel the *current* warning - it turns off all speedcam alarms.
Sal

I didn't realise that one!!!!! How non-observant of me. Still I don't go through too many SPECS.

That's the way my 710 worked with the original Miomap software, and the way my iPaq works now. I didn't check it with the Miomap 'upgrade', because I had started converting SPECS by then. You can easily check for yourself - just change a local GATSO to SPECS and see what happens.

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might just try that later today if my new computer setting up and fitting of a door lining (In my Bro's haose) allows
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using iGo8, anl linknet's UltraSkin, when you're pressing on the alert, you are cancelling only that warning, not the all cameras in that kind.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxmaciek wrote:
Using iGo8, anl linknet's UltraSkin, when you're pressing on the alert, you are cancelling only that warning, not the all cameras in that kind.

I was fairly certain that that was how it was supposed to work, but I have not yet had time to check it out. I will set up some cams now and go for a drive later this morning and report back how MY system works.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxmaciek wrote:

I checked out my MioMap 3.2 which Sal says is Igo2006, and it behaves exactly as you say. The cancellation of a SPECS average calculation does JUST that. It still detects all other types of cam, and if another SPECS is encountered, it starts calculating the average once again until the second cam or manual cancellation.

The average calculation is in the main code, not in the skin, and, although academic and not likely to come about, a 'start average' button would also be useful.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good result Trevor. There is something strange about this though because my iPAQ behaves as I described earlier, and I've read a similar report from someone else.

However I don't like the idea of having to set and reset the unit when travelling through SPECS sections. To my mind it defeats the principle of the unit discretely reminding you with alerts. YOU are having to tell IT instead of the other way round. I prefer not to be distracted like that and will continue to convert SPECS into simple alarms.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: