Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I delete/edit the built in POI on a TOM TOM Go 530?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I delete/edit the built in POI on a TOM TOM Go 530?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TechVillage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Can I delete/edit the built in POI on a TOM TOM Go 530? Reply with quote

Hello,

My first posting and what a great site this is Smile I have been browsing it since I bouhg my first TomTom 530T about 3 weeks ago. I have been seartching around the site and admiring the POI's that can be downloaded and have a few questions:-

1. It is possible to delete/edit some of the inbuilt POI's that came with the TOM TOM?

2. Can I merge some of the POI's into an existing TOM TOM category - for instance in the TOMTOM category of Restaurants can I delete some of the entries and insert some I have downloaded from this forum?

3. In the TomTOM "Help Me!" can I edit some of the categories such as Hospital or nearest Pharmacy or Nearest Car Repair? is the infor for these pulled form the inbuilt POI or form a sepearte POI databse on the TomTOM?

4. In the "Help Me!" the AA breakdown is the only breakdown service assumed to exist inthe UK, or more likely, have paid to be there - can I create my own icon and breakdown service details and put there?

Many thanks,

Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I delete/edit the built in POI on a TOM TOM Go 530? Reply with quote

TechVillage wrote:
Hello,

My first posting and what a great site this is Smile I have been browsing it since I bouhg my first TomTom 530T about 3 weeks ago. I have been seartching around the site and admiring the POI's that can be downloaded and have a few questions:-

1. It is possible to delete/edit some of the inbuilt POI's that came with the TOM TOM?

Welcome aboard! The built-in POIs are contained in a single POI.dat file, whilst it can be edited it's not for the feint of heart so the simple answer is no.
Quote:
2. Can I merge some of the POI's into an existing TOM TOM category - for instance in the TOMTOM category of Restaurants can I delete some of the entries and insert some I have downloaded from this forum?

As explained, you can't (easily) remove entries but there is a method to annotate new locations, see the full explanation over at YourNAV here.
Quote:
3. In the TomTOM "Help Me!" can I edit some of the categories such as Hospital or nearest Pharmacy or Nearest Car Repair? is the infor for these pulled form the inbuilt POI or form a sepearte POI databse on the TomTOM?

No but you can submit corrections using MapShare
Quote:
4. In the "Help Me!" the AA breakdown is the only breakdown service assumed to exist inthe UK, or more likely, have paid to be there - can I create my own icon and breakdown service details and put there?

Se my previous answer.
TechVillage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Darren,

Many thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling that editing the poi.dat wasn't something to be taken lightly. I have found a tool called gestPoi.dat which I have been playing around with this afternoon, haven't made changes and recompiled the dat file. Is there another tool you have used? I'm an IT systems analyst, so not advserse to rolling up sleeves and getting hands dirty.

Many thanks for the pointer to Andy_P's post at www.yournav.com I came across that post earlier this morning and glad that you have given it the nod - I will make use of it later.

Thank you very much for your help.

Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I've never bothered to edit the supplied POI's as I rely on our own in preference and it's simpler just to leave the pre-installed ones as is for my purposes!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to pursue editing the poi.dat file and your French is up to scratch have a look here
TechVillage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all your help Smile I have now finally got my POI more or less how I like them.

Usng gestPoi.dat I have removed all the inbuilt POI's bar the ones referenced in the "Help Me!" section - car repair, Dentist, Doctor, Fuel, Hospital, Pharmacy and Rail Transport. I left them there otherwise all the icons were greyed out as their respective POI were missing. I then downloaded the precise categories/subcategories I wanted. Now I don't have to trawl throught a load of categories I don't want.

Then, to make a start in giving something back and contributing, I submitted 5 POI's to exisiting categories.

Are the poi's dated or a tool or an automated email that advises when a category is updated - or are all categories updated pretty much every day?

Richard
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We try to update the POIs each day as they are submitted, but it's not always possible.

On the Download Page there is a Date at the end of each category. That is the the date that an entry has been processed in that category.

It may only be a small amendment to 1 location, or it could be several new entries.

There is no automated system for checking/downloading changes as the files are created on the fly, as required by the End User.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: