Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch New x40 LIVE SatNav Range at IFA (540/740/940)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch New x40 LIVE SatNav Range at IFA (540/740/940)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludde wrote:
Does anyone know if the new holder for TomTom 940 (the active one)
fits a TomTom 930.

Take a look at the pictures on page One of this thread and I am sure you will come to the conclusion that the connection is very different to the x20/ x30 range - there is no way you could fit the earlier units to that holder - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludde wrote:
Does anyone know if the new holder for TomTom 940 (the active one)
fits a TomTom 930.

No they won't. The x40's have an entirely different and unique connector that mates with the new dock.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you reckon they would revert back to what is a powered mount. I thought the simple mount is a better idea, what with the popularity of the devices with the common criminal.

Is it due to the fact if it wasn't powered the device would need to be bigger and therefore less "pocket" friendly?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IsLNdbOi wrote:

I guess I could just use self-tapping screws to screw through the TomTom mount (the part with the ball on it) and screw into the same holes I used for the Garmin mounting ball.

This is what I did (using a spare standard 720 windscreen mount):
IsLNdbOi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Why do you reckon they would revert back to what is a powered mount. I thought the simple mount is a better idea, what with the popularity of the devices with the common criminal.

Is it due to the fact if it wasn't powered the device would need to be bigger and therefore less "pocket" friendly?

It's for convenience. Alot of people these days like to integrate these GPS units w/ their car's audio system. Having all the connections on the mount / cradle eliminates the need to plug / unplug all those cables from the GPS unit everytime you get into the car or leave the car.

I'd never buy a TomTom unless it has this type of mount. Garmin has this type of mount for their high end Nuvis and it's great. TomTom has beaten Garmin this time by adding an audio out jack on the mount as well. All Garmin has right now on their mounts is the power connection and microphone input.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IsLNdbOi wrote:
A lot of people these days like to integrate these GPS units w/ their cars

Well, not me! Much more of this direction development and I'll be going back to basics. You'll never catch me using one of these things once they integrate them with the steering wheel.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
IsLNdbOi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said integrate, I meant having the GPS unit plugged into the car's head unit via the GPS unit's cradle (to route the GPS unit's audio to the car's speakers).

With the new mount on these TomTom models, one can leave the mount in the car with all the wires (power, TMC antenna / iPod cable, and audio out cable) plugged into the mount. Then you'd simply place the TomTom in the mount when you get in the car and take it off the mount when you exit the car.

Last edited by IsLNdbOi on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one who prefers an active mount solution. I'm well aware of the issue surrounding security etc but detest wires dangling all over the dash.

I use a Carcomm carkit with my workhorse x20 and it fulfils all my needs. The x40 mount is OK but I have my fingers crossed that Carcomm develop an x40 cradle at some point.
IsLNdbOi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a simple solution to the wires. Drill a hole or holes in an inconspicuous location on your dash. Then route the wires through the holes. I added a hidden 12V DC outlet in the driver side glovebox in my car and my MSN Direct receiver / power adapter for my Garmin is plugged into that. The MSN Direct receiver's cord sneaks through a small gap b/w the glovebox's door and the dash and goes up towards the ball mount I put on the driver side glovebox's lid.

My car's dashboard cover helps hide any extra wire(s) too.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered that route but there is no suitable location to get access and I'm not about to drill a hole in the dash top of our car. I have the Carcomm cradle on a Brodit ProClip on the dash and it's all wired in (inc TMC) and works for me.
IsLNdbOi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess drilling in the dash isn't for everyone. Razz

Any idea when Carcomm will be releasing the CNM-168 (the one that has the TMC AND audio pass-through connections)? It may take Carcomm awhile to create a new cradle for the x40 series since those units now use a proprietary connector.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IsLNdbOi wrote:
I guess drilling in the dash isn't for everyone. Razz

If I could hide it I would but it's a Merc witha single one piece dash and no convenient access points or trim that could be used.
Quote:
Any idea when Carcomm will be releasing the CNM-168 (the one that has the TMC AND audio pass-through connections)? It may take Carcomm awhile to create a new cradle for the x40 series since those units now use a proprietary connector.

I'll ask.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternative to wires is the FM TX but that isn't much use when you get close to large cities, I have settled on Bluetooth for the audio from the 720 and 930 so I would assume the new kid on the block sports the BT connection which is a far better sound quality and doesn't suffer from any interference, also one less wire (not that you would notice the reduction in cables in my car) - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
not that you would notice the reduction in cables in my car
I had a small bet on with myself as to how long it would be before old screwdriver hands responded! He has nightmares that somebody will come along and steal his car by ripping off all the gadgets and dumping them on his drive before driving off. Mr. Green

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IsLNdbOi wrote:
Any idea when Carcomm will be releasing the CNM-168 (the one that has the TMC AND audio pass-through connections)?

The CNM-168 will be available as of next week. An x40 cradle is being worked on. The x40 connection isn't a hurdle, in fact it makes design a lot simpler. The connection may look proprietary but it'll almost certainly be an off the shelf connector and Carcomm have vast experience in car-kits for mobile phones.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: