Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch New x40 LIVE SatNav Range at IFA (540/740/940)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch New x40 LIVE SatNav Range at IFA (540/740/940)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberbot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love my TT930
if we get the new update of the x4o to my tt i will be glad Smile
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a new entry level 630 - see HERE
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really getting ridiculous, how many more models are TT going to bring out, its model after model after model and most of the models seem so similar to there brother and sister models I personally don't see the point. Don't get me wrong its always nice to have choice when you are wanting to buy a new toy but this is over kill Confused Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
There's also a new entry level 630 - see HERE

The 630 is an unusual beast which has been introduced to meet a particular price point. It sits (naturally) between the 530 and 730 and feature wise it has 22 EU countries, no FM transmitter and no dock to keep costs down.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:
This is really getting ridiculous, how many more models are TT going to bring out, its model after model after model and most of the models seem so similar to there brother and sister models I personally don't see the point. Don't get me wrong its always nice to have choice when you are wanting to buy a new toy but this is over kill Confused Confused

I very much doubt any manufacturer would introduce new models if they didn't envisage a market for them.

Variety is the spice of life and the more models, the more likelihood that there will be one that meets your requirements at a price that suits your pocket.

Each new design whilst similar in many respects to it's predecessor has brought improvements, you need only compare a 920/930 with a 910 to see how much has changed (although some may argue for the worse in some areas!).

Connected PND's are likely to become the norm in time, what holds this particular area of progress up is the intransigence of the service providers who are doing their very best to prevent data costs from becoming affordable for all both at home and whilst roaming.

Once we have true 'all you can eat' fixed cost mobile data then we will wonder hoe we managed without it before!
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a TT930 owner, and not very happy. I bought the 930 on the understanding that HD Traffic was to be up and running June this year. It seems that TomTom have duped loyal customers of the TomTom brand into buying a product that they clearly they did not intend updating in the way they stated. I can only assume that we will have to wait until after the introduction of the 940 before we can get the chance to use Crying or Very sad Traffic.
Would it be possible to put this to TomTom Question

gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks so much for the hardware clarification. It clashes a bit with previous info I had received, but I'm quite certain your sources are very solid. Mine less so apparently.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But reading about the hd traffic lead it seems to have the same features as the 940 , and to get it working surely when they update the maps for the 930 they will put all the extra features into it ie 24/7 iq routes etc as seeing as we are going to have to pay to use it , but the thing is , you only get 3 months worth of use with the 940 , but 6 momths paid for with the lead, unless they change it.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like TomTom are keeping up with phone manufacturers and bringing out new models every 6 months.

I wonder if this is partly to do with the partnership with Vodafone?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdfast wrote:
I am also a TT930 owner, and not very happy. I bought the 930 on the understanding that HD Traffic was to be up and running June this year. It seems that TomTom have duped loyal customers of the TomTom brand into buying a product that they clearly they did not intend updating in the way they stated. I can only assume that we will have to wait until after the introduction of the 940 before we can get the chance to use Crying or Very sad Traffic.

The service and the arrangements with the respective service providers are complex and have taken longer than anticipated.

As you are aware, HD Traffic is not yet available in the UK, indeed only Holland currently has it. The UK is not alone in waiting, France and Germany are similarly delayed with other countries not scheduled for HD Traffic until 2009.

When it is launched it will be available to those units that can use the HD accessory and likewise the x40 range. You won't have to wait until 'after', it will launch concurrently if not before.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdfast wrote:
Would it be possible to put this to TomTom Question

As far as I am aware HD traffic will be available for both the current 930 via the cable adapter and the new 940 at the same time.

It has been a question of contracts with the various phone service providers in the countries rather than a technical development issue. TomTom are still providing the service they announced at CeBIT, but on more platforms. I dont think you have been 'duped'.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Looks like TomTom are keeping up with phone manufacturers and bringing out new models every 6 months.

I wonder if this is partly to do with the partnership with Vodafone?

Well I doubt it very much. This normally works by the network provider subsidising the cost of the hardware and tying you up in long pricey contracts. The reverse is true with the 940 you pay full whack for the hardware and get a subsidised fixed price data plan which can be terminated with 1 month's notice.
Pedro2NR
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the power is directed to the mount similar to the x00 and x10 range. Perhaps this will have the auto on feature.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro2NR wrote:
Looks like the power is directed to the mount similar to the x00 and x10 range. Perhaps this will have the auto on feature.

Even if it has the 'auto on' feature I wouldn't want to leave the car with it stuck to the windscreen unless it's in the garage so, to me, it would be a bit of a dubious advantage.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Even if it has the 'auto on' feature I wouldn't want to leave the car with it stuck to the windscreen unless it's in the garage so, to me, it would be a bit of a dubious advantage.

And there's the rub. Many moaned at the lack of an active mount in current models. However, it's no more difficult to remove this mount complete with attached power cable than it is to remove a non-powered mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: