Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MM5 maps to pda
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MM5 maps to pda

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockpig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: MM5 maps to pda Reply with quote

Hi,I would like some advice on this problem I'm having please.

I'm having trouble opening region 1 map on my pda.

After a few unsuccesful attempts to get the map on the PDA in the first place I now find I can't open the map at all. I get an error message saying failed to open.

Is it becasue the map is to big to open?

I have upgraded my phone from v1605 to the v1615, on my earlier model it worked fine but on the newer model i'm having this problem.

This phone has built in gps, how do I access this through MM?

Thank you in advance.

Ali
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you load an entire map the device will not open it, instead use the transfer visible map area to your device, zoom in/ out so the area you want is displayed on your PC screen.
When you select the above method the software will calculate the file size and tell you, it also asks where would you like to store the map area, Phone memory, phone memory card, PC based storage (card reader etc) - Mike
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MM5 maps to pda Reply with quote

Rockpig wrote:
I'm having trouble opening region 1 map on my pda.

Is it because the map is to big to open?
Ali

Yes, maximum map size for Memory Map Pocket Navigator devices is about 400 MB, although smaller is better. I like to keep things down to about 250 MB.

As well as Mike's export visible area method you can also create overlays and then use "send enclosed map to mobile device". When the official Memory Map forum was up and running they had suitable overlays available for download, sadly no more.

Cheers
Neil
Rockpig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention about the map size being 400mb the limit, I have 2 os 1:50 on my pda, 1 is 558m and the other 268.

I cant open the 268 one at all.

I have tried to send map via the " Export visible" and I get an error message saying failed to cop map when I send it to pda.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your previous replies.

Ali
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try a small area to send to the PDA and make sure you select the memory card in the PDA NOT the PDA's Memory (an easy mistake that can consume your available device memory very quickly). Assuming the PDA is connected to the PC via Active Sync or Vista's version of PPC communication the transfer should work.
For larger map areas I would tend to use a card reader, I did install the Lake District area at 50K scale to a couple of devices last week which took around 90MB IIRC this worked OK using the Vista Sync - Mike
Rockpig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Just try a small area to send to the PDA and make sure you select the memory card in the PDA NOT the PDA's Memory (an easy mistake that can consume your available device memory very quickly). Assuming the PDA is connected to the PC via Active Sync or Vista's version of PPC communication the transfer should work.
For larger map areas I would tend to use a card reader, I did install the Lake District area at 50K scale to a couple of devices last week which took around 90MB IIRC this worked OK using the Vista Sync - Mike

Ah lovely, thank you.

Can you merge the individual parts of the map together so it all becomes 1?

The onboard gps on my v1615, you wpuldn't happen to know what settings it needs to be on in order to work with MM?

Thank you

Ali
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have multiple areas installed and the device will load/ unload them as you move around with no user intervention, this works very well although I tend to put an overlay area on both maps so the transition section is doubly covered.

As for the settings, I don't have a HTC Kaiser to try this on, but I would expect your GPS settings within Memory Map to be:
Manufacturer "NMEA"
Comm Port, Open the drop box and see if any are tagged as GPS Port, often it is Comm 4 on the HTC units.
Baud 4800
- Mike
Rockpig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can have multiple areas installed and the device will load/ unload them as you move around with no user intervention, this works very well although I tend to put an overlay area on both maps so the transition section is doubly covered.

As for the settings, I don't have a HTC Kaiser to try this on, but I would expect your GPS settings within Memory Map to be:
Manufacturer "NMEA"
Comm Port, Open the drop box and see if any are tagged as GPS Port, often it is Comm 4 on the HTC units.
Baud 4800
- Mike

Fantastic, it is all up and working but the satellite has me out in the ocean and not on the map, any ideas and why this could be.

Thank you very much for your very swift replies and help, it is really very much appreciated.

Ali
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed a map that covers the exact location you are using the device at currently? - if you are "off the map" it won't display and Topo detail - Mike
Rockpig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you installed a map that covers the exact location you are using the device at currently? - if you are "off the map" it won't display and Topo detail - Mike

Yes I have, I was say 20 meters away from the sea, when I locked my position it threw me say 50 meters + away into the sea.

*Edit* Currently now the position is in the channel and nothing I do can change it. I have 2 satellites covering me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PC application go to Mode/ Position format and make sure "UTM Grid on WGS84" is selected, if not you could be suffering from two different position formats stacking up to produce the error, if this was the case you should correct the setting and re-load the map then try it again - Mike
Rockpig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
On the PC application go to Mode/ Position format and make sure "UTM Grid on WGS84" is selected, if not you could be suffering from two different position formats stacking up to produce the error, if this was the case you should correct the setting and re-load the map then try it again - Mike

Fantastic, it was on british national grid.

Thanks again for your time and patience, your a star.

Ali

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: