Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Silent Via Points
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Silent Via Points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redrosebike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Silent Via Points Reply with quote

Hi. Sorry if this has been covered ( I have done several searches ) but is it possible to have the 760 NOT announce the upcoming via points in a route? If I put one or two extra way points in a route to force the avoidance of e.g. a busy junction, the 760 tells me I'm coming up to "the B553" or whatever via point(s) I put in.
I'm guessing the answer is no, but I think I have a good case.
Thanks.
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't announce via points, but then I usually have the normal voice dirctions turned off anyway.
redrosebike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting. I bet it'll work with 700s since the Zumo seem to be rugged version of the 700 series.
Only problem is that I don't have Mapsource. I called Garmin and they won't provide it without the actual map data for £120 !! I told them I don't need the maps, just the Mapsource s/w so I can import & export data to *MY* 760.
Can anyone point me to a copy of mapsource (without maps - I'm not looking to get a freebie)
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redrosebike wrote:
Can anyone point me to a copy of mapsource (without maps - I'm not looking to get a freebie)

redrose -eh? ... being a Yorkshireman, I'm not sure I should encourage you Smile

Anyway: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835 is a link to Garmin's Training Center software, which contains a copy of Mapsource and a rudimentary World Map.

Theoretically, you can reverse-engineer your GMAPPROM.IMG into mapsource, using a tool by a Polish guy, known only as 'POPEJ'.

http://www.anpo.republika.pl/files/wgmaptool038.zip

These are his instructions for using it:

Code:
You need some tools to get the work done. Look for cgpsmapper, MapSetToolKit and GmapTool. Unpack and install all this tools. Cgpsmapper and GmapTool are command line programs, you need to start them from command line window or from any Norton Commander clone like Total Commander.

I assume that you have Mapsource installed and that your GPS with preinstalled maps is recognised by Windows as a removable drive, for example as drive I:

Begin with creating an empty directory for your map. Put cgpsmapper and gmaptool in this directory and make it current work directory for subsequent commands.

Unpack your map with gmaptool:
gmaptool -S I:garmingmapprom.img

You will get several different files in your work directory. These are maps and additional files for Mapsource. You need to compile preview map:
cgpsmapper mapset00.mp

Now you can use MapSetToolKit. Start it and choose "Install A Existing Mapset". You have to point to tdb file mapset00.tdb, preview file mapset00.img and invent a registry name. Install and your map should be visible in Mapsource.

You have to unlock map in Mapsource. Simply input 25-character unlock code from your device. This can be found on papers attached to your GPS, on mygarmin.com after registration, in file garminGarminDevice.xml or garmingmapprom.unl or in a file gmaptool00.unl in map directory on your PC.

And as usually: no guarantee, Mapsource may crash, use at your own risk and responsibility.

If Mapsource crashes use MapSetToolKit to remove new map.
redrosebike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Thanks Phil. I'll let you off being a Tyke since you seem to live in Stockport (I lived in Whaley Bridge for 10 years) and your choice of avatar is most agreeable. I think QueenII is one of the best albums ever (just behind Hunky Dory).
I got the mapsource working and manged to deconstruct the map from my 760. There were a few differences from Popej's instructions. I guess he must have updated his s/w recently.
The tool GPMaptool didn't seem to take any command line options and went straight into GUI mode. I then used the "split" option on my gmapprom.img which created about 230 indvidual .img files and a couple of index/header files.
It also created two batch files, one made the necessary Registry additions (the other is for removing them) BUT it expected a program called cgpsmapper.exe to be there. This wasn't part of the zip file that you pointed me to but I evetually found it here http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm#free.
This then seemed to work. To unlock the map in Mapsource I kept trying the 25 character codes from the top of the GarminDevice.xml file (there are loads of unlock codes, I don't know why).
Anyway, I'm up and running. Thanks.
BTW, how did you know about the training version of Mapsource? I can't see the problem with Garmin making it a bit more accessible. Distributing the basic map wouldn't threaten their revenues and we all already have a map don't we? Go figure Rolling Eyes
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get this working - Almost!

I can't seem to get the "Find Places" option working - it seems to be "greyed" out as if the map isn't unlocked properly. I can see map ok and find waypoints works ok. Any ideas?

Thanks
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
I can't seem to get the "Find Places" option working - it seems to be "greyed" out as if the map isn't unlocked properly. I can see map ok and find waypoints works ok. Any ideas?

Does the 'Unlock Wizard' help? ... as in retrieving your info. from Garmin, assuming you've registered.

Otherwise you can manually retrieve the lock code, by logging in to http://my.garmin.com. (Also, as previously noted, they can sometimes be found in GarminDevice.xml - but there's sometimes one per region, as well as a master unlock (presumably!)), for the whole set.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

thanks for the reply. I had to unlock the maps first - I entered in around 10 unlock codes from the .XML file and when I entered the 10th, the map unlocked. I can see the maps, zoom in / out, enter waypoints etc... - just the find places which seems to be "greyed" out. I hame mapsource 6.14.1 loaded.

On Map Product Manager it shows Gmapprom.img, version 1.00, unlocked
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware, I got Trojan Horses from the afore-mentioned wgmaptool (version 040).

Dales.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
Phil

the find places which seems to be "greyed" out.

I believe this is a by-product of reverse engineering the img file using gmaptool, also there is an issue when zooming out where the map detail disappears completely .. anyone got round this?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I believe this is a by-product of reverse engineering the img file using gmaptool, .. anyone got round this?

How about the Windows version of 'Basecamp', which can use the maps stored on the device, in addition to locally installed versions? http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: