Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OJoe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Dave, but am I missing something here? Question

Everybody in this thread keeps congratulating you over a "good" review. As usual, it was very comprehensive and the new version of TomTom scored very highly.

Indeed, on the basis of the review and as a happy TT 2 user, one could have been tempted to upgrade to the new TT 3 thing forthwith. Except that there are a whole bunch of other threads which do nothing but slag the new version off because of the "look-up" problems! 8O

Open letters to TomTom, complaints galore, refund demands.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to add a prominent health warning to the review?

I notice it was posted on April 1! Is it all a bad joke? Laughing
Best regards

Joe
Mat_Wal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Missing Roads Reply with quote

Hi This is my first day on this forum and I'm now on my second message. I notice that some people are complaining that new roads are missing, well I've just found 2 roads less then a mile from were I live that do not exist and I've never seen before and I've lived here for over 30 years, in fact one of the roads has a 200 year old building on it.

I noticed that DavidW said that TeleAtlas drive these road I think this would be rather difficult, this also goes for the bridleway it keeps trying to send me down thats unless the do it of horseback, bicycle or motorbike as these are the only things wide enough to get down it.

I'm sorry about the tone of the message, but after only recently moving to SatNav, and finding TTN2 very good were as the upgrade has made it impossible to use, and then the lack of response from TomTom, I'm rather frustrated.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than Jump in and go for it, i thought i would give myself a time frame with my TT3 and see how it goes.
Well it's been a couple of weeks now and to be brutally honest, what on earth is there to crow about over version 2, i may be missing something here but apart from some fancy icons what is new, as stated by previous posters the routing on the new system to put it mildly is sometimes total compared to version 2 and as far as look up is concerned well we all know the fiasco associated with that.
I cant believe that TomTom are putting their name to this, it really is not a worthwile addition.
As for people complaining about contact or rather lack of it from TomTom hows this, On trying to get the upgrade i was directed through the site to a full purchase price,and no matter what i done i could get to the 49 euro bit, so pee'ed off i e-mailed the CEO direct-no gofer's here! would you believe it he actually replied and apologised profusely for my inability to get the upgrade at the price i was entitled to, and suggested i try again.
This i did and just like magic it was fine, so perhaps if you cant get no joy from the muppets go direct to the top, surprisingly enough the CEO's e-mail is on the TomTom site if you look closely enough.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4ace wrote:
it seems that ttn3, upon entering a tunnel, would immediately indicate loss of gps fix, unlike ttn2, where it would continue for a good number of meters. Sad

another oops. when i encountered the above, i was also getting the bluetooth dropouts. must be related. went into a tunnel today and the blue arrow continued as in ttnav2. nice.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OZ wrote:
to be brutally honest, what on earth is there to crow about over version 2, i may be missing something here but apart from some fancy icons what is new, as stated by previous posters the routing on the new system to put it mildly is sometimes total compared to version 2 and as far as look up is concerned well we all know the fiasco associated with that.

I think part of the problem is that Navigator 2 was very good already - and anyone who expected the same kind of jump as there was from Navigator 1 to Navigator 2 was probably going to be disappointed.

The new feature where the safety screen changes to show the actual junction layout is one I'm finding very useful. The new itinerary features are also useful. The maps, on the whole, are better - I've found part of a new housing estate on there, also some changes to a road layout in a town I drive through regularly are in the new maps.

I'm looking forward to TomTom Traffic too - for a similar price to many of the Trafficmaster products, I'll have a 'traffic aware' routing system. Traffic will require Navigator 3.

On the down side, there are some new mistakes - quite a few places missing from the database that were in Navigator 2, also I found a bizarre mapping error last night that I don't remember was in Navigator 2 (the end of West Hill, Dunstable, is now shown as 'not for navigation').

The worst problem with Navigator 3 is undoubtedly the address lookup - but, to be fair, TomTom made the not great situation in Navigator 2 GB worse in Navigator 3 GB, rather than breaking something that was perfect in Navigator 2 GB. There were times when Navigator 2 GB returned multiple results with little information to choose the right result.

I wrote the 'open letter' in the hope that TomTom would listen and hopefully respond.

Overall, I'd say that Navigator 3 is an improvement - but TomTom do need to do something about the address lookup. There's still plenty of evidence that TomTom haven't yet fixed the problem with Bluetooth GPS on the iPAQ 2210, too.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some news for you folks...

Traffic: http://support.tomtom.com/traffic/guide/uk/
Bluetooth lockup: http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7889&highlight=

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
soggsk9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Brig-o-doon (the missing town) Reply with quote

>On the down side, there are some new mistakes - quite a few places >missing from the database that were in Navigator 2,

You are not kidding, there are numerous large town names in the west of Scotland missing or named wrongly. To be fair, if you can work around the initial missing town (Kilmarnock for example with 60,000 people) by inputing the first two lettres of the post code then you can get correct routing but I don't remember any of these problems in TTN2.
I have recently transfered from working in a county area to the greater Glasgow area and am relying on TTN to get me to locations in a hurry (I am a police dog handler). With the missing towns, the address look up gives me problems although luckily our CAD system gives post codes.
I am begining to regret upgrading to what would appear to be an inferior product, accuracy wise & am likely to revert to TTN2.
Do you suppose they will give me my money back? Rolling Eyes
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Here are some news for you folks...

Traffic: http://support.tomtom.com/traffic/guide/uk/
Bluetooth lockup: http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7889&highlight=

Indeed - I only caught up with the availability of Traffic after I wrote that post. I could have done with it this morning, too...

Hopefully the beta Bluetooth patch suggested in the thread you reference solves the 2210 problem - though as I have neither a 2210 nor a Bluetooth GPS, I can't try it personally.

David
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, so Tom Tom now say that Traffic doesn't work with the 2210!

What on Earth is going on?

Neil
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more i read posts on navigator 3 the worse it seems to get.
It looks like Tom Tom have done themselves no favours at all with this release there are a lot of very dissapointed and dare i say, frustrated people out there.
It has got to the point where almost everyday a new gremlin rears it's ugly head. I am not a tech geek but how can something as good as version 2, (ok, settle down,it is good compared to 3) be followed by something so dire.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:
Great, so Tom Tom now say that Traffic doesn't work with the 2210!

Traffic isn't yet launched - what was available briefly turned out to be a test version that didn't advertise itself as such and is now unavailable again. Traffic requires a mobile Internet connection, and TomTom may well not test all possible configurations, but that doesn't mean they won't work.

If you can have a mobile Internet connection running at the same time as TomTom Navigator is connected to your GPS, you're fine. The best thing is to try to have Navigator running in-car (the map screen will do), then see if you can open a page in Pocket Internet Explorer using your Mobile Internet setup. If you can open the page, you should be all set to go when Traffic is publicly available.

David
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickmay wrote:
Great revue - thanks

This is my first venture into the GPS world and your site has been really useful.

I have TT3 and an XDA2 - it took several hours to install and get running after talking with TT telephone support. I had hoped the gps driver 2.09 for the XDA2 would be on the installation CD - but I still had to download it from the TT site Sad

I have not had a problem with lock ups - but I do have a problem with the TT3 car cradle power plug. It seems to be fractionally smaller than the mains adapter power plug (the one you plug into the bluetooth unit). This results in intermittent power to the BT unit when in the car with the consequent need to reset the BT unit to re-aquire the sat signal! I can mimic the poor contact just by rotating the plug in the socket of the BT unit.

Keep up the good work! Thumbs Up

The plug which goes into the GPS unit itsself and the one that goes into the cradle are different. You should have one cable for each.

I cannot find a copy of the GPS driver 2.09 anywhere. Can you either point me to a download or even email me a copy?
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brig-o-doon (the missing town) Reply with quote

soggsk9 wrote:
>On the down side, there are some new mistakes - quite a few places >missing from the database that were in Navigator 2,

You are not kidding, there are numerous large town names in the west of Scotland missing or named wrongly. To be fair, if you can work around the initial missing town (Kilmarnock for example with 60,000 people) by inputing the first two lettres of the post code then you can get correct routing but I don't remember any of these problems in TTN2.
I have recently transfered from working in a county area to the greater Glasgow area and am relying on TTN to get me to locations in a hurry (I am a police dog handler). With the missing towns, the address look up gives me problems although luckily our CAD system gives post codes.
I am begining to regret upgrading to what would appear to be an inferior product, accuracy wise & am likely to revert to TTN2.

If they won't then your credit card company will. I'm progressing a dispute through Visa and they have suspended the payment to Tomtom until they (Tomtom) answer the problem, whixh they have to do within 21 days.
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Brig-o-doon (the missing town) Reply with quote

soggsk9 wrote:

If they won't then your credit card company will. I'm progressing a dispute through Visa and they have suspended the payment to Tomtom until they (Tomtom) answer the problem, which they have to do within 21 days.
OJoe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have to ask this again but... How can you justify having such as positive review of TT3 on the site when the software has been demonstrated to be seriously flawed?

This is a simple question and I'd appreciate a straightwforward answer. Thanks and regards.

Joe

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: