Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Wireless GPS MKII - different firmwares?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Wireless GPS MKII - different firmwares?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarnhamBee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: TomTom Wireless GPS MKII - different firmwares? Reply with quote

Have just got a 2nd TomTom Wireless GPS MKII from ebay & have found a difference in behaviour Sad

The 1st one in my wife's car is charged from an ignition only power point, the unit stays on for a few minutes after the car is switched off or after Navigator exits (whichever happens last). If the unit is off it turns itself back on when the car is turned on again - perfect!

The 2nd one appears to turn itself off a few minutes after not being connected to Navigator, even if power is still supplied to the charging socket. It also doesn't appear to have the 'auto-on' feature & even if power is removed & reapplied it needs a press of the power button to activate it.

On the 1st unit, the LED next to the power switch flashes when it has a fix, stays on solid when it doesn't - it's orange when charging, green when not (possibly turns another colour when nearly discharged?). The other LED lights up blue & then flashes blue when connected to Navigator.

On the 2nd unit, the LED next to the power switch flashes when it has a fix, stays on solid when it doesn't - it's always green. The other LED lights up orange when charging but that's it (possibly turns another colour when nearly discharged?).

Externally the units are identical, part numbers etc are the same only difference is serial numbers, 1st unit is C31326S04714, 2nd unit is C15136S02386.

Any ideas why there's a difference & more importantly if there's anything to be done to get the 2nd unit behaving the same as the first?

Thanks for any feedback.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mk II (number C15395S07.....)

It exhibits the same behaviour as your '2nd' unit.

It looks like your first unit is more modern than the second. I bought mine a few years ago. I actually like the turning off when BT disconnected for a while - saves the power when out and about. I tended to use it every now and again when walking with my PDA. I would turn the PDA and GPS on to get a fix on MemoryMap / Anquet then turn off the PDA to conserve power. The TT MkII would then turn off a while later. I found the warm start time for the device is more than adequate for this occasional use.

Interesting behaviour with your devices though!
FarnhamBee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

Interesting behaviour with your devices though!

I'm taking 'Interesting' to be a euphemism for bl**dy annoying!! Smile
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly the original TomTom GPS unit had the blue BT connection light - but it was nothing physically like the Mk II.

There's nothing on the TT website that suggests they've changed it at any point. The current manual describes my unit and your 2nd unit.

Very wierd - and very frustrating to use.
FarnhamBee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
There's nothing on the TT website that suggests they've changed it at any point. The current manual describes my unit and your 2nd unit.

Yeah I've been looking on there too Sad

philpugh wrote:
Very wierd - and very frustrating to use.

Indeed - the behaviour of my '1st unit' is EXACTLY what I want, the '2nd unit' is pretty much useless to me.

I'll email TomTom support to see if there's a possible solution (f/w upgrade?) - but I wont hold my breath for a decent outcome Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them a ring and then back it up with an e-mail the number is 0845 161 0009 they might have a solution, but I doubt it would be something you can install yourself, flashing a GPS units firmware can often turn into a costly useless desktop ornament - Mike
FarnhamBee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventual reply from TomTom "Support":

Quote:
We understand you have two different versions of the MKII, as the behaviour described with the 2nd unit (it turns off when not recieving information from navigator regardless of the fact that it is supplied with power) is normal and can not be changed.

Well, thanks for nothing . . . Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: