Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it a dog?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it a dog?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Is it a dog? Reply with quote

Greetings! First post, noob and all that blah blah!

Righto, off to Europe in a few weeks on motorbike, decided to buy a used Ipaq RX3715 which came with a TomTom Wireless GPSMk11 receiver. Now, the chap who sold it sent the CD manual for TTN5, but apparently the data on the SD card became corrupt and now shows as blank. Fair enough, these things happen, I'm guilty of not backing up stuff too. I'll just get it from TomTom, right......? Erm, maybe not.

Now, the more I look into this, the more it would seem that I might have bought a fairly nice Ipaq, but that the TomTom part of the deal may be worthless. I'll just have to lash out more cash and buy the software.

But wait, I've looked at the TomTom website and they apparently don't do TTN5 any more, and the RX3715 isn't on the list of compatible PDAs for TTN6. Great. So I have a receiver, no software for it and a PDA which appears to be too long in the tooth to use with updated software.

Have I bought a dog? Should I off-load this lot ASAP and buy a brand spanking new PDA and new TT software (or another make), or just forget about the TT part and get myself a different GPS receiver and package for this PDA?
The waters are very muddy, if I had thought it was going to be this much hassle, I'd have stuck to maps in the tank bag, as before!!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you have a decent GPS receiver and a rather old PDA, getting modern software to work on this could be troublesome, most of the newer PDA based applications demand a fast processor to avoid problems.
You could consider a PDA based mobile phone if you use a contracted mobile phone that is due an upgrade, this can work out a very cheap way to obtain state of the art hardware. Otherwise you could consider the outright purchase of a PDA with Bluetooth and keep the TT receiver, this will work with any other nav software package that you want to use.
Whether TTN6 will work on the PDA you currently have I am not too sure, just because the device isn't on the TT list doesn't mean it won't work. I wouldn't recommend TTN6 due to the age of the maps currently usable with this application - they are too far out of date.
What is your budget as something like a PNA device might be more suitable than the PDA, and do you want to use this in a car or is its sole use on the bike? - Mike
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the swift reply Mike, it's something I would want to use in the car or on the bike. I went for the PDA because I can fetch my E-mail and stuff whilst away with it.
(Gonna have to look up what a PNA is opposed to a PDA!)

Interesting that the receiver can be used with other packages, might there be another provider which would be more suitable for this antique PDA?
tuftyjack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: RX3715 AND TT6 Reply with quote

Rest assured that TT6 works fine with the RX3715. I have the RX3715 and all is well.
tuftyjack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: RX3715 AND TT6 Reply with quote

It also works well with IGO6 and 8.
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tuftyjack, I've drawn a blank with TomTom (they don't do N5 any more, cannot help me restore the original SD card, end of conversation. ), so I'll be going for N6 imminently.

Any pointers to the cheapest sellers? Just because I'm under some time pressure and haven't got the stamina to go through Google - it drains my soul!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirctions navigator 7 or 8 should run on your device and shouldn't breack the bank have a good look round the diferent application suppliers
if your pda is at the minimum spec for an application then it should work

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: