Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does TomTom Navigator 6 have trackback?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does TomTom Navigator 6 have trackback?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnd126
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Does TomTom Navigator 6 have trackback? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying TomTom Navigator 6 for my TyTN 2. Does it offer trackback logs that can be downloaded and viewed on a map on the PC?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the TT Navigator application has no way of recording a trip log for later analysis.

I would look at putting Fransons GPS Gate application on the Phone as well as the TomTom. Fransons Gate can then split the GPS data between itself and the navigator, you can then configure Franson to log in the back ground while TTN6 runs in the foreground - Mike
johnd126
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum, the TT Navigator application has no way of recording a trip log for later analysis.

I would look at putting Fransons GPS Gate application on the Phone as well as the TomTom. Fransons Gate can then split the GPS data between itself and the navigator, you can then configure Franson to log in the back ground while TTN6 runs in the foreground - Mike

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know of any WM gps software that writes a track log?

In the meantime I will check out gpsgate.

Thanks!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike said - the Franson GPSGate is the most cost effective solution given you have already bought your application and mapping.

However Anquet and MemoryMap both have PPC verions that do include tracklog functionallity.
johnd126
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
As Mike said - the Franson GPSGate is the most cost effective solution given you have already bought your application and mapping.

However Anquet and MemoryMap both have PPC verions that do include tracklog functionallity.

Thanks for the info about gpsgate ... I'm trying it. I've been having trouble with the tracking logs being incorrect (in one instance it recorded that my position was in the middle of the atlantic ocean and on another it had time going backwards...) but I have a message on the Franson forum so hopefully that will be dealt with soon.

Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this due to poor GPS reception or do you think it was something else? give us a bit more of a clue as to where you were, conditions, building density etc and we might be able to come up with some ideas, there are quite a few forum members that use Fransons GPS Gate on the PDA devices - Mike
johnd126
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Was this due to poor GPS reception or do you think it was something else? give us a bit more of a clue as to where you were, conditions, building density etc and we might be able to come up with some ideas, there are quite a few forum members that use Fransons GPS Gate on the PDA devices - Mike

Oh, awesome.

On the occasion where the log showed I was in the middle of the atlantic I started gpsgate in a fairly clear area (I fired it up while in a grassy park with a baseball field near my home). I was able to connect to Google Maps (it showed connection to 8 satellites) and it was correctly tracking my route as I walked. I walked about 10 minutes away from my house and then walked back.

On the occasion when the time was reported backwards I was walking along a more busy street. But, again, Google Maps showed my location correctly and didn't report any problems contacting satellites.

I had the gpsgate output set to File Recoder / Filter and accepted the default settings (all information). I did enable Use GPS in Google Maps on both occasions as well.

As for the input settings for gpsgate I let it figure things out on it's own and the icon was green and it did say something like 'Settings OK!' in the dialog (everything uses an exclamation point I've noticed. ;))

Would it be useful to post the log files?

Thanks!
John
johnd126
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I tried the gpsgate again yesterday. When I first started it it complained about having connection to satellite but not receiving location information. On both occasions it went green fairly quickly. When I got home and tried to run the logs in Google Earth one log worked and the second one reported an error saying the logger can't open files with time going backward. I don't understand these logs. Do they make sense to you?

Good one:
http://www.greyfence.com/public/Log_2008-10-28_150959.nmea

One reporting going back in time:
http://www.greyfence.com/public/Log_2008-10-28_212229.nmea

See anything?
johnd126
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cross-posted the question on the Franson site and their tech support said the backward in time issue is a known bug with gpsgate. I was able to open both logs at GPS Visualizer and they did show the correct route so things might be OK after all. I'll keep tinkering.

Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: