Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - probs with ver7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

probs with ver7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

`Repack 3`
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
`Repack 3`

Can you explain this a little more please am I am not quite sure what you mean? What is repack 3 and does it enable TT Navigator 6 maps to be read by TT Navigator 7 please?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
V6mikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN7 can read version 675 maps and works very well using the repack 3 version TTN7. These maps can also be used for map share.

It's just a shame I have spent £40.00 on 720 maps that are so slow.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V6mikey wrote:
TTN7 can read version 675 maps and works very well using the repack 3 version TTN7. These maps can also be used for map share.

So how does one obtain this ?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited out because computer said send before finishing

Last edited by aj2052 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think you will get an answer for this one because the forum does not allow discussion on pirate software, you will have to do a search and they are not hard to find including good working alternatives including maps, I think this is where TomTom have really shot themselves in the foot by creating a massive third party market, when obviously the hard work had already been done in creating a PDA version for others to exploit.Understandably it may be time to slightly relax the rule on discussing ttn7, allowinhg discussion on the working of ttn7 but without allowing directions to the pirated software itself.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood...it's just that 'Repack 3' all sounded very official to me ....thought I'd missed something.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V6mikey wrote:

Probably the greater shame is in using illegal versions of software and then buying maps from the owner of that software and expecting them to work. The changes in the "repack 3" version (still don't know what that is by the way) in order to enable TTN7 to read V6 maps (which it was not designed to do) may be the cause of the problem?

By the way I agree with aj2052 that this whole mess is probably due to TT's stupid policy (or lack of?) on TTN7. But that does not excuse piracy.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Re-Packs" refer to various versions of CAB installer files that were made available from the data extracted from the HTC Diamond ROM. I am not going to produce an index but the differences pertain to QVGA/ VGA and Black/ Clear Today screen plug ins, I think I have seen further hacks on some web sites that do indeed allow access to the v675 mapping.

As to any of this being legal is a very dubious issue, even people that purchase the maps legitimately are using software not intended for their specific device (unless they are purchasing a map for a HTC Diamond supplied with the application in the ROM) - A grey area, but one I would like TomTom to comment on. I for one would be prepared to purchase the map and try the software but this isn't possible.

A better scheme would be to permit users to purchase a local area map (users of the HTC devices will be very familiar with this scheme) for a very small outlay, this could then be used by the individual in an area local to themselves to establish if the software actually works on their phone/ PDA. After that a full purchase with no comeback to the vendor should be offered, if a user wants support they could seek advice on this (and other forums) - I doubt this idea will take off but I will propose such a way forward to TomTom - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
your excellent suggestion sounds much too sensible for TT to ever agree to! But if they do I will be in the queue (depending upon price).

However my view is there is no grey area on the software. The standard TT EULA makes it clear that ALL software supplied (both maps and the programme) is only licensed for use on one unit. That fact that TT have in the past "allowed" (turned a blind eye?) to software being copied does not make it legal.
Copilot for USA
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that people will not buy a local map that is probably a couple of pounds cheaper than a national map, I would think that the only way for TomTom to dig themselves out of the hole they are in is to issue a Version 8 update for PDAs and include long awaited Map updates before customers finally dump them for good, from what I see of ttn7 it seems to be the same core engine with a few extra bells and whistles so the hard work must have already been done.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
I would think that the only way for TomTom to dig themselves out of the hole they are in is to issue a Version 8 update for PDAs and include long awaited Map updates before customers finally dump them for good.
I don't see why they can't do this - let's face it PND owners (includes me) are already well accustomed to being live Beta testers of every new fangled idea TomTom comes up with for them, so what's the problem with letting PDA owners try bugging their devices too?

The piracy angle is old hat. Mike has already told us the best way is to have live verification for each boot up via SIM card (I didn't understand a word and have probably quoted it all wrong, but apparently it's a method that works. Just that TomTom don't seem to listen to that suggestion).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
V6mikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
V6mikey wrote:

Probably the greater shame is in using illegal versions of software and then buying maps from the owner of that software and expecting them to work. The changes in the "repack 3" version (still don't know what that is by the way) in order to enable TTN7 to read V6 maps (which it was not designed to do) may be the cause of the problem?

By the way I agree with aj2052 that this whole mess is probably due to TT's stupid policy (or lack of?) on TTN7. But that does not excuse piracy.

I really thought long and hard about this one. I am very against piracy of software and read up quite a lot before going down the route I have.

I originally bought the navigator 6 on dvd from tomtom with maps of western europe. Then purchased 675 maps as an update. Then found that even the 675 maps are out of date. Looked into Navigator 7, thought oh well they will bring it out soon and I will be able to purchase the upgrade, but no.

I then found out that the touch diamond will be available with the nav 7, so I ordered one as an upgrade. Stupid me didn't check if orange were putting ttn7 onto the device.

All I wanted to do is get a more up to date map. ie 720.

So after I heard that someone had extracted the nav7 from the rom, I did a bit of research. This forum banned any discussion about TTN7 as it was classed as piracy so I didn't do anything about it. Then this forum released the ban and called it a grey area. So I thought that why not give it a try. The software installed without any security, I bought the 720 maps from tomtom, they were happy to take my money and sell me the maps, tomtom home was happy to install the maps onto my diamond, all worked well apart from the speed of the calculation. Maybe you are right and I should have not installed the repack version, not sure and not that technically minded.

Tomtom have now had £190.00 from me all because I am willing to pay for updated maps. (More fool me eh!!)

I thought this forum had actually delt with the morality of this issue and someone like you getting onto your high horse about illegal software, when this has been discussed in other threads really does not help. This thread has now turned into a completely different issue than the heading.

I have a diamond with software designed for the diamond and maps sold for the diamond.

To make matters worse, my diamond died yesterday and a new one arriving today. I will reinstall TTN6 with 675 maps and never post anything regarding TTN7 again.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you upgrade to V8 You will still have the same problem with the Maps, which surely the main point of Satnav is being uptodate as possible with map data, i think you reflect the view of many.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I upset you, that was not my intention, but ..... I did make clear in the my posts that I think the main villain in this piece is TT itself that appears to have a policy that encourages piracy, as long as they sell some maps along the way.

I agree entirely with people who say on this forum that this policy is stupid and is turning loyal customers away from them. And I think we should be, and in fact are, able to discuss this topic on the forum. I for one have started or contributed to several discussions about this, especially since I, like you, have a Touch Diamond and would like up to date maps and software. The problem is that at the moment TT have provided no legitimate way of doing that in the UK.

But ..... it should have been obvious that any copy you "pick up" for free from the internet, rather than from TT or a reputable retailer, is hardly likely to be a legal legitimate product. All software is licenced and the terms are set out in the EULA. A quick read of the EULA you have for TT6 will show that the terms are clearly "on one unit only".

And then you got software that had been hacked and changed - another breach of the EULA - in order to read maps that it was not supposed to. So the answer to your original query (about the slowness of V720 maps) is that probably the fault lies with the hack rather than the software itself. That is the blame of the illegal software not the legitimate maps.

In answer to aj2052's comments, the problem is there is no version 8 for TT Navigator, and TT have said that there is unlikely to ever be one. So all of us who use PDAs are now going to have to continue to suffer with maps that will become more and more out of date, and no way of legitimately updating them ..... great and thanks for nothing TT.

To be honest I am reasonable happy with TTN6 as software - it does all I need from sat nav software. The few additions to TTN7 are hardly worth it. If TT are not going to release a version 7 or 8 the least they should do is make the latest maps available for purchase on their website in a format that can be read by the only product we have (and by the way a product they still sell) i.e. TTN6.

But then hey ... the words common sense and TomTom rarely sit well together in the same sentence (without the word "not")
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: