Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using with non-OS maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using with non-OS maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Using with non-OS maps? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm considering upgrading my venerable Garmin eMap, and the SatMap A10 is on my list of candidates. I'll mainly be using it in the UK, but I'm off to Madeira later this year. I have electronic maps of the island, along with calibration information. I've been able to load the map image and calibration file into Mapyx Quo and it seems fine.

My question is, is it possible to do the same with the A10? Or is it limited to the OS maps that SatMap sell you? I suspect it may be the latter, but just wanted to check.

Regards

Glenn.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only use SatMap supplied mapping with the a10, I would give them a ring though and ask the question if they have any plans to allow scanned maps to be used at some future point - If people don't ask for new features they will never be added, they are a very proactive company so you never know, my view is always "if you don't ask, you don't get" - Mike
proctog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can only use SatMap supplied mapping with the a10, I would give them a ring though and ask the question if they have any plans to allow scanned maps to be used at some future point - If people don't ask for new features they will never be added, they are a very proactive company so you never know, my view is always "if you don't ask, you don't get" - Mike

Thanks Mike. I will contact them, but I'll understand if they're reluctant to allow this as it would - theoretically - allow people to scan their paper OS maps, calibrate them and load them on to the A10, thus removing their main revenue stream, not to mention breaking the OS's T&Cs.

Regards

Glenn.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an element of trust for the T&C's to work, but it certainly isn't within SatMaps vested interest to allow this, they could make it lat/ long dependant so outside of areas their maps cover it would be ok to use scanned maps - but this would require a recode of the application and wouldn't be cheap to do - Mike
jbak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: self-scanned maps Reply with quote

Response to mikealder:
"You can only use SatMap supplied mapping with the a10"

I use to my full satisfaction a SatMap Active 10. The available maps for The Netherlands are splendid. This summer I will have holidays in Umbria/Italy for which no maps are available. Since SatMap does not yet have an extended collection of electronic maps to offer, other than English, Dutch (and ??), I think it would ad to the attractiveness of Active 10 to offer the facility for the use of scanned paper maps. The use of scanned maps will contribute to wide applicability, until electronic maps are available.

To my opinion self-scanned maps will never reach the quality of officially provided electronic maps. Apart from the skills that are needed for proper scan and calibration. So, at the time that they will be available, electronic maps will always be attractive.

How to convince Satmap to facilitate the use of scanned maps?[/quote]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: